You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Career Change

Guest LFD

Guest Pistonbroke
57 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Only gone and bloody got a the job haven't I!!!

Well done P, make a difference mate. 

Without knowing you away from your posts you sound like everything they could want for that role and then some, Paulie.

Great to see someone get their rewards for having the balls to risk such a major life change.

Cracking weekend in the Dangerously household.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Champ said:

Oh, wow! Well done you!

Details. We (I) want details 

So it's a year 3 class in a good school in a leafy area just outside north Liverpool. There were 45 applicants narrowed down to observed lessons narrowed down to interviewees. Interview was with the head, deputy head and two governors. I felt the interview was going well but was surprised to get the call as it was my first teacher interview. 

Going to meet my new class in a few weeks before they break up and then a nice summer holiday in France before starting my new career in my classroom. I'm a few beers deep but can't express how happy I am and how relieved to not have to worry all.summrr about a job. 

• Upvote 9

• 2 months later...

First full week (and two days) as an NQT down and I am shattered. Absolute shock to the system and a million miles away from being a student teacher. Wins, losses, highs, lows it's been a roller coaster. A child left a tooth on my table which was interesting. Every day flies by because I'm always on the go. 

I have, so far, amazingly supportive colleagues fully sympathetic to new teachers and eager to help and give advice and help if needed.  I've been let into the secret of there being "a special level of hell for teachers who don't help other teachers." Also had an insight into some of the cynicism which can build up in long established teachers and am determined not to go down that route with my attitudes towards the children and my work. 

Becoming increasingly aware of how children with needs are not being catered for due to budget restraints. My class has 4 children who could use 1-1 assistance but I have only 1 support staff which, although more than most other classes, isn't nearly enough.  

Playing ukulele has made me, by default, the head of music and I don't really have any idea what I'm doing with that but I've been told not to worry about it until Christmas at least whilst I settle in with the exception of finding songs for harvest festival. 

My class are fantastic though, despite the behaviour issues, and we've had a decent first week. Sure beats sitting on an office looking at spread sheets and wishing my life away. 

• Upvote 5

• 5 months later...

Into the second semester of year 2 and still absolutely hate it. I really, enjoyed my access course but the degree is just a massive let down. I'm averaging a first on everything we do, but I have absolutely zero understanding of what we're doing other than things I've done in the past and haven't moved any closer at all to being able to do what I wanted to do.

So I'm basically stuck in the position of being 2 and a half years into this (including my access) and feeling like it's a gigantic waste of time but not really knowing what to do next. 

Part of me want to see it through just because I've gotten this far, but on the other hand I'm really having issues with depression and then also having no interest in anything outside of Uni. I seem to alternate between very rare bouts of optimism for about 20 minutes, being just basically miserable or just hoping no one speaks to me in case I start crying. 

Trouble is I really don't know what I do if I jack it in either. 

Feel like I'm trapped and fucked which ever way I turn. I'm 40 and it seems like my options are either plod through a degree that feels totally worthless and not really get to what I want, go back to doing car stuff for as long as I am still physically able (my back and knees are "fucked" to quote my doctor) or basically just try and find any job that will take me and just suck it up for the remainder of my days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thinking about a switch. Anyone have any ideas on a way to get into IT or something similar where I could work from home etc?

Need to train from the ground up and get some qualifications- probably online- 

any thoughts? What’s a growth industry these days?

28 minutes ago, Alan Sex said:

Thinking about a switch. Anyone have any ideas on a way to get into IT or something similar where I could work from home etc?

Need to train from the ground up and get some qualifications- probably online- 

any thoughts? What’s a growth industry these days?

Get into cyber security Alan. 3 million shortfall in jobs worldwide. You can do the less technical stuff too if you want. There's some funds over here to train people in it as a second career, probably well better for all that over your way. 

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Get into cyber security Alan. 3 million shortfall in jobs worldwide. You can do the less technical stuff too if you want. There's some funds over here to train people in it as a second career, probably well better for all that over your way. 

Don't get that gag if I'm honest.

• Upvote 1