You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Career Change

Guest LFD

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Get into cyber security Alan. 3 million shortfall in jobs worldwide. You can do the less technical stuff too if you want. There's some funds over here to train people in it as a second career, probably well better for all that over your way. 

Concrete tip, Section. 

That’s the kind of thing I’m looking for. 

Hopefully something I can get into at a lower level with an online course over a year or so - then work up my training from there once I’m in the door. 

1 hour ago, neko said:

Buses all stopped in Calgary, Mr. Sex ?

Double wammy for Alberta with oil and gas not worth anything either.

Been up near Edmonton the last few years, still on the busses though!

Possibly moving to rural Alberta later in the year - no buses there, so have to come up with a plan to retrain in a field where I can work remotely without having to do too much schooling to get going!

15 minutes ago, Alan Sex said:

The problem with driving bus for nearly 30 years is there aren’t too many obvious transferable skills, despite the obvious front line customer service angle!

Good thing about remote working is the world's your oyster. Have a look at some freelancing websites like Upwork and see what kind of stuff is in demand.

You could train yourself up as a web designer, graphic designer, copywriter etc and take on jobs, build your portfolio. When you freelance nobody cares or asks about your qualifications or background, they just want to see samples of your work, so in the early days you can do it cheap or even gratis if you have to. I would build it up on the side of your day job then when you get enough going take the plunge.

7 hours ago, Alan Sex said:

Thinking about a switch. Anyone have any ideas on a way to get into IT or something similar where I could work from home etc?

Need to train from the ground up and get some qualifications- probably online- 

any thoughts? What’s a growth industry these days?

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Get into cyber security Alan. 3 million shortfall in jobs worldwide. You can do the less technical stuff too if you want. There's some funds over here to train people in it as a second career, probably well better for all that over your way. 

4 hours ago, Alan Sex said:

Concrete tip, Section. 

That’s the kind of thing I’m looking for. 

Hopefully something I can get into at a lower level with an online course over a year or so - then work up my training from there once I’m in the door. 

If you want to get into the cyberz mate (as the millennial wankers call it) I can poing you towards some good sites for Free learning etc, some decent books and podcasts for getting a good leg up.

you need to have a decent idea of where are and what you want to do, as it’s quite vast.

I’m fairly certain you‘ll consider penetration testing, just for the fnaars.

ping us a pm if you want any info, short term sign up with cybrary, just get a free account, don’t pay for a subscription, have a scoot around at career paths, also the cyber security hub is another free service that is a good portal. 
podcast wise: hackable (by McAfee) gives good breakdowns on common attacks, darknet diaries is really good long form podcast into big scams, hoists or other cyber crimes (often with interviews of those involved), and risky business is a great weekly magazine of what’s happening in cybersec.

as Section posted, there are a lot of jobs available, it’s pretty interesting, I’m not doh g what I’d like to do (vuln scanning and pen testing) as I am moving laterally from a 20 year career in it infrastructure, plus it could be a big drop to go to junior pen, so I am

moving via Identity and access management which is more blue team, than red, but it’s doing something I want to do.

• 5 months later...

What are people's thoughts about looking for jobs during the current brouhaha? Anyone on the lookout or thinking it's best not to twist at the moment?

The nature of my job means I was doing a lot of casework for people when it all kicked off and it proper drained me, I don't reckon I can do it if it kicks off again so have been looking for something else. Feels kind of ungrateful though as at least I've got a job for now and so many people are fearing or facing the worst. 

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What are people's thoughts about looking for jobs during the current brouhaha? Anyone on the lookout or thinking it's best not to twist at the moment?

The nature of my job means I was doing a lot of casework for people when it all kicked off and it proper drained me, I don't reckon I can do it if it kicks off again so have been looking for something else. Feels kind of ungrateful though as at least I've got a job for now and so many people are fearing or facing the worst. 

My business has become much more challenging since lockdown. I’d say 80% of my Clients disappeared over night and those that remained want to pay less for online versions of my offerings.

Some of the ones I lost had begun to get back in contact but the current rise in infections will probably scupper any new work for the foreseeable from them. This is balanced a little by access to more overseas work using a virtual environment but it’s not really satisfying economically or spiritually.

It’s only going to get harder as more and more lose their jobs and decide to become self employed. More of us chasing less work.

I’d love to do something else but no idea what. I only really do what I do now as it’s the best way I know to pay the bills. I’d like the freedom to do something without worrying about how much I might earn but I guess I wouldn’t be alone in that. 

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Thing is, I answered disagree to a job involving speaking to a group of people so my career as actor will probably be over once covid restrictions stop and the audience are allowed back in. Can always retrain again I guess. 

You could always get some tips from Simon