You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last game you've played...

RedKnight

3 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Anyone know anything about the Warhammer games? I've never played them and there's a few on humble bundle for about a tenner... 

The Total War ones?

They're Total War with more variety and an enormous world, so great but tough going and a long-haul.  If you'd prefer something Total War to just play through to the end I'd say go for Three Kingdoms, not WH, but a great way to tell a classic story.  But if you just want to dabble around in the world and different races, it good. You'll get your money's worth without really scratching the surface of the actual story.

Not played Vermintide, but it's basically a fantasy-based Left 4 Dead. 

Just played Blood Bowl 2 on PS Now.  Wouldn't bother, good idea but takes an age to get through each game.

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

The Total War ones?

They're Total War with more variety and an enormous world, so great but tough going and a long-haul.  If you'd prefer something Total War to just play through to the end I'd say go for Three Kingdoms, not WH, but a great way to tell a classic story.  But if you just want to dabble around in the world and different races, it good. You'll get your money's worth without really scratching the surface of the actual story.

Not played Vermintide, but it's basically a fantasy-based Left 4 Dead. 

Just played Blood Bowl 2 on PS Now.  Wouldn't bother, good idea but takes an age to get through each game.

The full list is here... 

Pay £1 or more to unlock!

Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War Game of the Year Edition
Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Beat the average to unlock!

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach
Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch - Enhanced Edition

Pay £10.50 or more to also unlock!

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Collection
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® III
BLOOD BOWL 2 - LEGENDARY EDITION

Good summary, how about space marine and Dawn of War? Have you played any of those at all? 

After playing 9-10 hours of Rage 2 I think it's awesome. It's flawed, but I like so much of it that it's not bothering me so much. The open world, the sci-fi and cyberpunk elements, the amount of upgrades you can get for your character and weapons, wading into factions battling each other and the chaos that follows, it feels like almost the perfect type of game to play at the moment. I'm in no rush to finish either as I don't have any problems going around a big open world and finding things to do (which often involves fighting through a load of enemies to get to something, but it's a fps game so I don't see that as a surprise) because that's exactly what I like doing in games anyway.

Some flaws are there though, one of the main ones on the base PS4 being the menu lagging for seconds at a time switching between tabs. They can maintain a steady framerate in the middle of insane amounts of things going on in battles but the menu screen lags? It's a really strange problem to see and I've never noticed it this bad in any other console game I don't think. The driving seems really basic as well but it serves to get around the map quickly when needed and the whole vehicle combat part isn't something I'm interested in. And there's some graphics issues too like I already mentioned in previous posts (but I think the game looks good generally and parts of the world are brilliant at times.)

Those things don't stop me enjoying the game though so they're not big problems. I can see how players not bothered about the open world and going straight through the story in under 10 hours or so not being happy with it but seeing as I'm not having those issues that's not affecting me either, especially seeing as I actively avoid rushing through games anyway. I'm not sure how long this playthrough will last but if it gets me 20+ hours or so at least which I think is easily possible it's been great value and something I could spend more time with on new game plus.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Ghost of tsushima. I'm finding it a little boring.

I hope you've unwrapped it, taken the disc out, installed it and used the controller to play it? 

10 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm absolutely loving Ghost of Tsushima, gets even better as you unlock new techniques and weapons. The combat is brilliant.

I am looking forward to hopefully picking this up when it gets a bit cheaper. I still have Sekiro to play so I will have a go at that in the meantime.

1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I am looking forward to hopefully picking this up when it gets a bit cheaper. I still have Sekiro to play so I will have a go at that in the meantime.

Let me know how you get on with Sekiro as I need to play that as well. 

Too many games, not enough time.

I finished The Witcher 3 plus its expansions last week- absolutely immense game. I played it when it originally came out, but had real trouble with the 'Witcher sense' thing. Like Real Men, I'm colour blind and trying to discern red trails against a largely brown and green background was nigh on impossible. They fixed that- it's now blue- and I loved it.

I did look up the endings as it's a bit arbitrary which one you get, with some seemingly trivial decisions resulting in the 'bad' ending. Ended up with Yennefer and with Ciri as empress, which was nice. The first expansion seemed a bit limited, although once the story was fully revealed, it was really quite emotional. Blood and Wine was superb. 9/10 for the lot, the only thing that could be improved is probably the combat which is a bit button-mashy, it's still fun with a decent character build though.

Moving on to something lighter, I got the Spyro trilogy remake a while ago in some bundle or other so thought I'd fire it up- my missus loved the original on the PS1. It's actually really, really good. Looks lovely, controls well and has a nice blend of tricky and trivial levels with plenty of hidden secrets- a solid 8/10.

I've just spent almost the entire week finishing off the Final Fantasy XIV Online expansion Heavensward and then working my way through the next expansion that was released in 2017, Stormblood. I think up until this it was for me a great online game for the things you could do. The classes/jobs, gameplay etc. With Stormblood though I got well into the characters and story and I found that really surprising.

There's always going to be grindy and weaker parts in a game like FFXIV I think, but I'm kind of shocked how much I enjoyed playing through it and watching the characters and story develop. Hadn't played in years because I used to have it on PS3 but they stopped supporting it in 2017, so it's been awesome to get back and like this so much whilst playing on PC. I originally just wanted to log in and check on my old character but instead it's taken over my life for the week. It can get crazy at times with some of the dungeons and trails you have to go through at certain points with 3-7 other players in order to progress and the mechanics you have to learn for each one, but I think it was well worth it in the end.

It's not something I'd enjoy doing regularly because I'll always be a single player gamer mainly but FFXIV is one of the few exceptions I've found over the years, and when it comes to story and characters the Stormblood part of that game is definitely a favourite now I think.

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Just finished Days Gone and really enjoyed it. The cut scenes get a bit tedious at times but overall it’s a great game. 

I loved it. Deacon St. John is a brilliant protagonist and the other notable characters like Iron Mike, Scizzo and Boozer are ace as well.

On 05/08/2020 at 10:31, Dynamite said:

Fall Guys

Great fun. Super simple. Super addictive. Super frustrating.

Really well made little game that has a lot of good things going for it.

One of this month's PS+ titles too, so those on PS4 should at least give it whirl.

Just tried this. I am shite at it but still got in the last 8 second go. Got twatted at giant football 9-2. Their team seemed to know how to play. It's funny. Like playing It's A Knockout. 

Last of Us 2 - utterly brutal, in a much different way to the 1st. The gameplay is top notch whichever way you choose to play, it's up there with the finest of this generation. Some of the set pieces were brilliant.

I'm not sure how the developers got the performance out of the PS4, especially if you take something like Control, which appears less populated but had so much slowdown.

9.5/10

• Upvote 1

PC - The Witcher 3, really good game this. I've had it installed for ages and never loaded it up. Now I have I'll be spending some time on it. Looks blooming massive.

Xbox One - Sekiro, love the idea of samurai fighting game and it's done really well here. Very quick responses with controls and great that you can counter attack. Only played for 30 minutes but very nice opening.

Switch - Snooker 19, picked this up on the US eShop for I think $13 (about £10-£11) as it's on sale there. Not on sale in the UK so still £30 and it probably won't go down while the crucible is on. Absolutely brilliant, easily the best snooker sim I've played. Going to look for an equally good pool sim now.

Not playing anything on PS4 right now but tempted to start Gone Home as have had that since release and not loaded it.

Gamecube games are selling at crazy prices! The Thousand Year Door (Paper Mario) is selling for between £70 and £150 on eBay. Gamecube games seem to have gone up in value for some reason, if you have any it might be worth looking at selling them if you don't them anymore.