You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last game you've played...

RedKnight

15 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Replaying god of war. Its a hell of a game. Second play brought I'm paying more attention to the relationship between the characters wheres first time I just ploughed through it.

Give the valkryies a go in GMGOW difficulty if you fancy buying a new controller and TV.

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Elite said:

About 5 hours into Fenyx Rising now and it's brilliant. Fell out of love with my PS4 since the brilliant Ghost of Tsushima but this has reignited the flame.

Yeah. I loved it. However, I bought the DLC and it was just too fucking hard. Too many bits where the sweet spot you’ve got to hit to advance to the next stage is like a one in ten thousand fluke. There’s a bit where you have to twat this huge ball at a moving wall with a fan on it just so to get it over a perpendicular wall. I’ve watched all the YouTube videos, tried well over a hundred times and never got even vaguely close. Infuriating. I just fucked it off. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Yeah. I loved it. However, I bought the DLC and it was just too fucking hard. Too many bits where the sweet spot you’ve got to hit to advance to the next stage is like a one in ten thousand fluke. There’s a bit where you have to twat this huge ball at a moving wall with a fan on it just so to get it over a perpendicular wall. I’ve watched all the YouTube videos, tried well over a hundred times and never got even vaguely close. Infuriating. I just fucked it off. 

I'll have to YouTube that once I finish the standard game before I decide whether to buy the DLC, I have fuck all patience.

Not played a footie game in ages, and was always a PES player. Got FIFA 21 a little while back when it dropped to a tenner on the PS Store, mainly because my bro and his son are always talking up the online side of it. Fuck! The game is an absolute travesty. It's essentially a 1 Vs 1 basketballesque dribbling contest, with button mashing and microtransactions galore. Where's the skill? You don't need any footballing know how to play this, you've just got to pull off Street Fighter like button combos. The throughball is a fucking joke, if you time it just right you can avoid midfielders and the whole defence with one press of a button. Then there's the skills, cards that create abilities players never had, 70 rated players outdoing 90 rated players...it's endless The game is deleted.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You're just shit bro!

I miss sensible soccer. If I played it now I reckon I would hate it so I'm going to keep the memory. There used to be another one like sensi soccer that would have streakers run on the pitch.

Haha, apparently trying to play possession football to open up channels and gaps makes me a rat.

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Not played a footie game in ages, and was always a PES player. Got FIFA 21 a little while back when it dropped to a tenner on the PS Store, mainly because my bro and his son are always talking up the online side of it. Fuck! The game is an absolute travesty. It's essentially a 1 Vs 1 basketballesque dribbling contest, with button mashing and microtransactions galore. Where's the skill? You don't need any footballing know how to play this, you've just got to pull off Street Fighter like button combos. The throughball is a fucking joke, if you time it just right you can avoid midfielders and the whole defence with one press of a button. Then there's the skills, cards that create abilities players never had, 70 rated players outdoing 90 rated players...it's endless The game is deleted.

PES is superior as a football game, licencing is the problem. But on PS you can import an option file which is painstakingly put together by PES World and have a fully authentic version. 

FIFA 21 is a money pit. On Switch they've updated the squads. It plays just like FIFA 19. They charge full price. 

Grabbed Divinity: Original Sin 2.  It's good, bit heavy on the reading and hides so much from you it just becomes a dull process of looking in random boxes until you find the right item. Very old school.

Also picked up the Gloomhaven game, which is a fun turn-based way to try the board game. Not the best package overall though, early access to be fair. 

Nearly at the end of Resident Evil Revelations 2 on the Switch, and have really enjoyed it. I remember getting the original RE on the PS1 and it was wild coming from a SNES. Have some of the others (and still own several GameCube versions) but tempted to go for Zero and RE remake.

Have played this one mostly handheld - in fact, I don't think I've played it on the telly at all. Looks great in portable.

image.png

On 31/03/2021 at 18:49, Pidge said:

Grabbed Divinity: Original Sin 2.  It's good, bit heavy on the reading and hides so much from you it just becomes a dull process of looking in random boxes until you find the right item. Very old school.

Also picked up the Gloomhaven game, which is a fun turn-based way to try the board game. Not the best package overall though, early access to be fair. 

Depending on platform you have, the best game in this genre is Disco Elysium. It's getting a remix with all text being underpinned with voice acting. 

I enjoy Divinity but Disco is another level. 

7 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Depending on platform you have, the best game in this genre is Disco Elysium. It's getting a remix with all text being underpinned with voice acting. 

Nice one, I was planning on diving into that after I've finished my XCom 2 campaign. 

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Nice one, I was planning on diving into that after I've finished my XCom 2 campaign. 

I had a result with a £10 off voucher on Epic Store and it was on sale at £23.99. Got it for £13.99, absolutely brilliant but quite intense. With voice acting throughout it will probably be a little less intense and certainly more entertaining.

8 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I had a result with a £10 off voucher on Epic Store and it was on sale at £23.99. Got it for £13.99, absolutely brilliant but quite intense. With voice acting throughout it will probably be a little less intense and certainly more entertaining.

Cool, there was a big 15 gig update on Steam earlier in the week, so it's all ready.

On 01/04/2021 at 23:02, Shooter in the Motor said:

Hmm, not particularly impressed so far. The voice acting is a bit ropy, especially the stilted delivery from whoever does your skills. I also just died when I inspected the clutch on a car because apparently it reduced my morale to zero, although I've no idea why it would do that. Not really a fan of insta-death in games, especially when there's no warning and it's for such a weird reason. I'll give it another whirl as I like the aesthetics and overall 'vibe', but I lost about 20 minutes there and I'm going to have to go back through some slightly boring scene setting.

11 hours ago, Mudface said:

Hmm, not particularly impressed so far. The voice acting is a bit ropy, especially the stilted delivery from whoever does your skills. I also just died when I inspected the clutch on a car because apparently it reduced my morale to zero, although I've no idea why it would do that. Not really a fan of insta-death in games, especially when there's no warning and it's for such a weird reason. I'll give it another whirl as I like the aesthetics and overall 'vibe', but I lost about 20 minutes there and I'm going to have to go back through some slightly boring scene setting.

Be a shame if you don't enjoy it, it's for me a great combination of board game, card game, table top game, RPG and visual novel. I think the weirdness around morale drops is set up by the fact that he's a drunkard drug addict who has serious mental illness challenges. People commit suicide (this is basically what the game is simulating) over weird shit when they are mentally unstable. 

It's worth considering using the save game option if concerned about losing progress as I agree, losing progress in any game is a ballache. 

There have been some people who really don't like the game, so you wouldn't be on your own by any stretch but it's mostly highly rated. 

17 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Be a shame if you don't enjoy it, it's for me a great combination of board game, card game, table top game, RPG and visual novel. I think the weirdness around morale drops is set up by the fact that he's a drunkard drug addict who has serious mental illness challenges. People commit suicide (this is basically what the game is simulating) over weird shit when they are mentally unstable. 

It's worth considering using the save game option if concerned about losing progress as I agree, losing progress in any game is a ballache. 

There have been some people who really don't like the game, so you wouldn't be on your own by any stretch but it's mostly highly rated. 

Yeah, I've taken to quick saving before each conversation now, just in case. I'm quite enjoying it so far, it's very interesting, it was just the abruptness of the death that pissed me off. I didn't realise though that I could have restored a point of morale as I had a Magnesium vial, but I wasn't quick enough to administer it. Anyway, I put my first skill point into Volition, so I've got a bit of a buffer now. Just wish I was beefier so I could give that little gobshite a hiding behind the hotel.

Did you ever play Sunless Seas or Skies, btw? A similarly weird game.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, I've taken to quick saving before each conversation now, just in case. I'm quite enjoying it so far, it's very interesting, it was just the abruptness of the death that pissed me off. I didn't realise though that I could have restored a point of morale as I had a Magnesium vial, but I wasn't quick enough to administer it. Anyway, I put my first skill point into Volition, so I've got a bit of a buffer now. Just wish I was beefier so I could give that little gobshite a hiding behind the hotel.

Did you ever play Sunless Seas or Skies, btw? A similarly weird game.

You could have chosen a burly detective type at the beginning...I'll have to check what type of Detective I've played with. I'd imagine the game changes depending on your character type.

I have Sunless Sea on Epic as a free giveaway (not played it yet) but not got Sunless Skies. Perhaps if I enjoy the one I have I'll look at getting the one I don't. I'll put it on wishlist anyway as I'll get notified of a reduction. Any good?

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

You could have chosen a burly detective type at the beginning...I'll have to check what type of Detective I've played with. I'd imagine the game changes depending on your character type.

I have Sunless Sea on Epic as a free giveaway (not played it yet) but not got Sunless Skies. Perhaps if I enjoy the one I have I'll look at getting the one I don't. I'll put it on wishlist anyway as I'll get notified of a reduction. Any good?

I picked the 'Sherlock' archetype- intelligent, but weak.

Sunless Sea is OK, really evocatively written, and a brilliant setting. I'm pretty certain you'll enjoy it after Disco Elysium. It's also got the best Steam review of all time-

My crew attempted a mutiny, upset and frightened from being out at sea for too long. When their mutiny failed, I sailed them back to London. Once home was in sight, and they gathered at the rails to sing praise, I promptly turned the ship around and sailed it in a circle. And then another circle, this one wider. Then, a third circle, this one smaller.

No one commits mutiny on my vessel.

Time moved swiftly as the circles continued. My crew only had a faint understanding of what punishments were in store for them as I spent the night in my cabin, fornicating with our surgeon. Around and around and around we sailed.

It soon dawned on them what was happening when the nightmares came, when the food and supplies began running low. Once the food was gone, the madness came quick; the frightened tears, quicker. One member wanted to kill herself, but I wouldn't allow it. Another begged me to stop the endless circles, so I sailed them faster, sloppier. Once, I sailed close to a zee-beast. It swam away, wanting no part in the theatre of suffering I was producing. An entire meal, the crew's last hope of staving off death by starvation, had gone. Only the circles remained.

If they wanted to live, they had to eat. Keeping their humanity was no longer an option. They knew what little choice they had, and what little they could do to control it. Out of food, cannibalism quickly took hold on the decks. Crew members butchered and ate each other after yet another failed mutiny. And back in my cabin, all I could do was muse with my sultry lady in lilac, the crewmembers' wails of grief a very, very potent aphrodisiac for more fornication.

We sailed, ate, sailed again. The rhythm never broke. A circle without end.

Soon I took part in the feasting of a brazen zailor who tried to shoot me and failed spectacularly in doing so. The few remaining crew and I ate him and we said nothing of the incident. They knew better. The silence was terrible for them, and it pleased me. Nearby, a cargo vessel sailed past us without pause. You could almost smell the bounty of food and fuel aboard it. They never knew what we were doing, or what we've become, circling without end. Then, they were gone, and my remaining crew came undone.

I shot a crewman who attempted to abandon ship, and I tossed his body overboard. I did nothing as another member leapt overboard soon after, only to be swallowed by the waves, screaming about Salt's curse being set upon us. I dined with the lady in lilac again as the second to last crewman wept and succumbed in his sleep to nightmares, alone and misbegotten.

I believe his corpse is still decomposing in its spot, somewhere in the dark in the lowest corner of my vessel, the Unsinkable II. He shall remain there as a souvenir until I see fit.

Finally, when it was just me and one broken crew member left, I turned the ship portside and set us off. Time to stop the circles; home was near, just at the edge of the screen. I paid a hefty fee for a tow and returned to port, to my zeeside mansion, where I slept like a baby that evening.

London was oblivious. Or unmoved.

Tomorrow, thirteen new crew members await orders to set sail. They haven't the foggiest of what to expect.

No one commits mutiny on my vessel.

10/10

Just installed MSI Afterburner on PC and overclocked the GPU and memory for the first time. Fuck, it's like climbing into a Fiesta and switching on the engine and racing away like a Ferrari.