You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last game you've played...

RedKnight

27 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Gamecube games are selling at crazy prices! The Thousand Year Door (Paper Mario) is selling for between £70 and £150 on eBay. Gamecube games seem to have gone up in value for some reason, if you have any it might be worth looking at selling them if you don't them anymore.

I’m prepared to bet pretty big that @RedKnight has at least a couple of grand’s worth of games on a shelf somewhere, by this measure. 

19 minutes ago, Paul said:

I’m prepared to bet pretty big that @RedKnight has at least a couple of grand’s worth of games on a shelf somewhere, by this measure. 

As it's the 20th year of the gamecube it's possible this is driving up prices, especially in the pandemic which has forced people to stay at home. It can't be rarity as some of the games sold at least a million copies. 

So much for PS5 and Series X being overpriced. 

Nintendo games hold value incredibly well, they're very rarely discounted when they're current gen. 

Gamecube wasn't popular in its time compared to the PS2 so I'm sure people are rediscovering some of the great games. There's s new Paper Mario out for Switch so that may be influencing price too.

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Nintendo games hold value incredibly well, they're very rarely discounted when they're current gen. 

Gamecube wasn't popular in its time compared to the PS2 so I'm sure people are rediscovering some of the great games. There's s new Paper Mario out for Switch so that may be influencing price too.

Because it's getting relatively poor reviews amongst the game-playing community, people are possible thinking of rather playing the original than the relatively poor follow-up. I thought about giving it a whirl but there's a game called Bug Fables that looks superior and costs less.

In the UK I think the Gamecube struggled a bit for sales but US and Japan it was a big hit.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Decided to play Watch Dogs again. Taking a while to get back into it. Not played the 3nd is it any good? 

Never heard of the cunt.

• 2 weeks later...

Spiritfarer- absolutely lovely little game, sort of like Stardew Valley or those Animal Crossing games, except you're Charon's replacement as boatman to ferry lost souls into the void. You build various stations like gardens, sawmills and looms on your ship, and use them to process the resources you grow or gather from the islands you visit. You have to keep the souls on your ship happy and fed and build their own accommodation when they get pissed off being in the communal guest room. It does tackle some fairly heavy themes- everyone's dead for a start, and some are really regretting the choices they made while alive- but it's done skillfully and certainly isn't mawkish or depressing.

None if it is a chore, it's really relaxing and chilled and there are some gorgeous little touches throughout (like your cat starting to sing along when you play your guitar). Perfect Sunday afternoon game to soothe your hangover. 9/10 so far- it's available on Steam and through Gamepass, along with console versions for the peasants.

21 hours ago, Lee909 said:

How's everyone doing on Ghosts of Tsushima then? 

Ended up buying it yesterday. 

Enjoying it so far

It's very good.

I'm on the third part of the island now but it's taken ages to get there. Some of the missions are a bit dull and samey but all sandbox games are like that. Definitely do it on hard mode though as it's not that hard at all once you get used to the fighting. The duels are great.

59 minutes ago, Elite said:

It's very good.

I'm on the third part of the island now but it's taken ages to get there. Some of the missions are a bit dull and samey but all sandbox games are like that. Definitely do it on hard mode though as it's not that hard at all once you get used to the fighting. The duels are great.

If you want more of a challenge along the same lines of game, definitely you will enjoy Sekiro.

4 hours ago, paddyberger said:

The Division is on games with gold this month. Story mode is great and plenty of hours games play. I loved that game when it came out.

I believe it may also be free on Ubisoft's gaming platform on PC too.

Jsust picked up Valiant Hearts on Switch. It's £19.99 on UK eShop but reduced to $4.99 on US eShop. Really good WW One infotainment visual novel, stunning to look at but coupled with lots of information on how WW One was fought. Liked.

Also available on PS4, Xbox One and PC but cheapest by far on US eShop. Best thing I did with my Switch is set up an account on the US eStore. The discounts at times are insane, I've picked up as many as 20 games at a time for about $5 total when games are on one cent, 25 cent, 75 cent sales. I don't think I've ever seen a 1 pence game on the UK eStore. Pretty common occurrence on US eStore.

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Jsust picked up Valiant Hearts on Switch. It's £19.99 on UK eShop but reduced to $4.99 on US eShop. Really good WW One infotainment visual novel, stunning to look at but coupled with lots of information on how WW One was fought. Liked.

Also available on PS4, Xbox One and PC but cheapest by far on US eShop. Best thing I did with my Switch is set up an account on the US eStore. The discounts at times are insane, I've picked up as many as 20 games at a time for about $5 total when games are on one cent, 25 cent, 75 cent sales. I don't think I've ever seen a 1 pence game on the UK eStore. Pretty common occurrence on US eStore.

I played Valiant Hearts years ago, great little game that

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

I think it came out in 2014, yet it still sells for £15-£20 across various formats.

10 hours ago, Elite said:

Thirded- really enjoyed it. This was one of the best deals I ever had on Steam- 

image.png

Child of Light is worth a play if you haven't done before, although the rhyming couplets get a bit annoying after a bit. It's a shame those UbiArt games dried up, they were much more interesting than yet another Ass Creed game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Thirded- really enjoyed it. This was one of the best deals I ever had on Steam- 

image.png

Child of Light is worth a play if you haven't done before, although the rhyming couplets get a bit annoying after a bit. It's a shame those UbiArt games dried up, they were much more interesting than yet another Ass Creed game.

My problem with Ubisoft is that they churn out pretty much the same game every year with a different setting. If the developers had a bit more license to create they could make some truly stunning games with the budgets Ubisoft have but they are more interested in bland yearly 'adaptations'.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

My problem with Ubisoft is that they churn out pretty much the same game every year with a different setting. If the developers had a bit more license to create they could make some truly stunning games with the budgets Ubisoft have but they are more interested in bland yearly 'adaptations'.

Yeah, the big companies- Ubi, Activision-Blizzard and EA- are terrified of spending big on new franchises in case they bomb. There's just too much money involved these days, so they play it safe and churn out the same stuff year after year, stuffing in microtransactions and lootboxes so they can keep the price the same.

That's why I like playing on PC, there are plenty of 'mid' size games that smaller companies can do without facing an existential threat if they don't sell.

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That's why I like playing on PC, there are plenty of 'mid' size games that smaller companies can do without facing an existential threat if they don't sell.

The Switch has joined the PC for this, most titles on Steam end up on the Switch and often cheaper.

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

The Switch has joined the PC for this, most titles on Steam end up on the Switch and often cheaper.

Yep, it's perfect for the smaller titles. I wish my lad was interested, but he just wants to shoot his mates on the XBox, and I can't really justify buying one for myself.