You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last game you've played...

RedKnight

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Did you play the complete version with all the DLC or just the main game? 

Going to pick it up as I have just picked up a PS4 again. 

Main game as my copy was from just after it was released. The Frozen Wilds was discounted on PS Store in January but I didn't buy it and now I regret that very much.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Have just got Ghost Recon Wildlands. Not the type of game I'm bothered about at all usually, but I found out that you could create your own character, it had a huge map and was open world. So I started a game off and have just spent the last couple of hours roaming around. The map is fucking huge and the environments (it's set in Bolivia) look amazing.

It's really all I'm bothered about, just exploring the map and doing random missions. The main story doesn't interest me at all. Definitely the type of game I could put on and play randomly every now and then without really caring about the gameplay so much or the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Have got Far Cry New Dawn, 4 and 5. Played and finished the first 3 games but for some reason it's taken me years to get back to the series. Roaming around the amazing maps, doing random stuff, and approaching missions/objectives in your own way is something that makes it one of my favourite franchises, easily.

New Dawn : played it for a bit and was getting into it, but I don't like how the map is so much smaller due to the outskirts now being a wasteland. Should go back to it at some point in the future, for now though it'll probably get deleted off the PS4 because I don't have an external drive yet and running out of space.

Far Cry 4 : arrived in the post in the last hour, this will be getting installed to take the place of New Dawn.

Far Cry 5 : started playing last night, played it again for a bit today as well, and think it's fucking amazing! The world is so freakishly lifelike and I actually found fighting the cultists a bit unsettling at first. Got used to it more now though and have got back into the usual Far Cry gameplay and seriously liking it. Won't be surprised at all if it ends up being one of the best games I play this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Have got into Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen over the weekend. Wanted a new rpg to play and can't be bothered to get back on to Skyrim at the moment with all the modding that involves, so got this. It's strange because I watched clips of it and thought it looked about as generic as I could imagine, thought the same thing when playing it too and almost gave up. For some reason though I carried on and think it's turning into a great game.

You have a team of 3 other characters you can choose to adventure with (and 1 you create yourself), the world is good with loads of stuff to do, and the main thing is probably the combat system and classes you can choose that makes one of the main good parts of the game, this part has loads of variation to it as well. 13 hours into it so far and now downloading the gog version to go with the PS4 one (so I can stick it on an external drive & use it when I want with no net connection needed/drm crap.) In the future if something looks generic and is boring me, thinking of this game is probably a good reason to at least have a bit more patience and stick with it incase it turns out to be better.

• 4 weeks later...

Dipped back into Mount and Blade Warband recently, it's still absolute crack.  Had to uninstall it, once I start it the evening is gone and a fair portion of the night.

Had a big presentation at work this week and getting home after felt like playing something else and landed on X:Com Enemy Within again, just one of the very greatest games of all time.  Don't know if I'll ever get tired of it.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm playing middle earth shadow of war. It's pretty good, a lot of grinding but you can play how you want too. I like single player games not interested at all in multiplayer co-op stuff.

Decent game but I found it a bit repetitive. I preferred Shadow Of Mordor to Shadow Of War.

Started playing Stellaris the other night, first strategy game I've tried to properly get into for years I think and got totally hooked on it really quickly. Am playing fanatic pacifist alignment so it's harder but still highly addictive, should be better if I get some of the DLC as well that'll give me more options with the lack of launching wars on other species.

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Started playing Stellaris the other night, first strategy game I've tried to properly get into for years I think and got totally hooked on it really quickly. Am playing fanatic pacifist alignment so it's harder but still highly addictive, should be better if I get some of the DLC as well that'll give me more options with the lack of launching wars on other species.

I've tried a few Paradox Grand Strategy games and never really got into them- does this have a massive learning curve at the start?

You just missed a Paradox sale on Steam, but I'm sure there'll be discounts for the summer sale.

6 hours ago, Mudface said:

I've tried a few Paradox Grand Strategy games and never really got into them- does this have a massive learning curve at the start?

You just missed a Paradox sale on Steam, but I'm sure there'll be discounts for the summer sale.

It does seem to have a decent sized one if you're playing as pacifist, but most players won't be doing that and I'm not sure what it's like when there's a focus on building up fleets to attack with. I got the game in a sale on GoG as well (part of a collection in this) and the dlc is still on sale too so am ok there, thanks for mentioning it though.

Guest Pistonbroke

Ubisoft have just added a 'Story Creator Mode' for ACOdyssey. Looking forward to using that, or should I say trying to use it. Also looking forward to playing the add on 'The fate of Atlantis.' For this add on I'm waiting until all three parts are released before playing. I played the add on 'The First Blade' as separate releases and it just pissed me off waiting for the next instalment. 

Ubisoft are also releasing Ubisoft+ in September. Basically a monthly sub of 14.99 (seems a bit pricey unless gaming is your life) and you can play 100+ games including most of the new releases etc. Might be worth signing up to the free month though to play a few games for nowt. 

Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn. First time in a long while that I ploughed 50+ hours into a game. Once you pick up the override ability and work out how to knock guns off the bigger machines this turns into a great game. Get rid of the weird Q&A cut scenes and it'd be a damn near perfect third person adventure.

I've given up on Zelda: BotW for now, again, having started and stopped it about half a dozen times since launch. Maybe I've dawdled too much, and need to get to the divine beasts, but I'm just not feeling the lure of exploration. It's largely down to the weapon durability, as loot no longer holds any appeal; you can clear an encampment of enemies, only to find you've broken a good sword getting to a chest that contains a worse one.

Started Witcher 3 properly now, and it seems to have its hooks in me already.

Total War: Three Kingdoms

They've managed to crack fitting a genuinely interesting cast of historical characters into the TW framework.  Tough getting started, but the ways stories emerge as you get going (passively, in the main, the actual scripted side of things kind of resolves itself early) is brilliant.