You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last game you've played...

RedKnight

Eh? What about it? Controversial twist on a popular thread. Probably a few rules like demos don't count and if you've only played it for 30 minutes that doesn't count either.

If you can review and describe games that you've completed, that may make for a more complete experience although I understand that bad games generally don't get completed because they're, y'know, bad.

Might be useful to say which format as well as games differ depending on the console.

AvP (PS3) - Bit shit, unless you're interested in multiplayer (which is also a bit shit apparently) even more dissapointing when you think Sega dropped the production of colonial marines last year. 5 Facehuggers out of 10.

Final Fantasy 7 - Bargain for £7 on the PS3 - Graphics are a bit ropey on a huge telly but great if your telly has picture in picture. Still a quality game.

Edited by Cardie

Uncharted 2 - Easily the best game I've played. Stunning graphics, fanstastic gameplay.

They actually improved on the 1st one which I didn't think was possible. I guess that's why I'm not in the game.....game.

9 Marmite sandwiches out of 10. I'd have given it 10 but the girl in this one is not as fit as the blonde in the original.

PS3.

Hang on.... just seen that the blonde bird is in this one too. So better female quota with potential lesbian action.

10/10

Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360) - 9.5/10

Every bit as awesome as you'd imagine. Brilliant action, varied characters (Each with their own specialities to ensure no battle is ever the same). It has a great story mode and character interactive but not too much to bore you. Another massive factor in this game being simply amazing, is that it will last for ages!

Buy it now, most games aren't worth £40, this one is a bargain at that price.

Tekken 6 (PS3) - 8/10

Until three weeks ago I hadn't played any of the main fighting games on this gen's consoles, now I've played both Streetfighter IV and this, Tekken 6. I was always a SF guy but this has changed my mind. Great graphics and it's easy to just pick up and play (to a certain extent). It's main bonus though is it's multiplayer, I always struggled to find a game when playing SF but with Tekken I found one within a minute.

You have seperate online stats for each fighter you play as so you get a better reflection of your ability (or lack of in my case). It has 41 fighters and three or four game modes, so it has plenty of longevity. Great game.

I also picked up Bayonetta but haven't really played it enough to pass judgement. From what I've seen it looks aces.

MLB 09: The Show (PS3)

I like me baseball, and this is the best baseball sim I have played. There are plenty of games modes, though I've not tried any of the online content, so can't comment on that. However, the standard single player modes are more than capable of passing the hours without you noticing.

Graphics are good, and transitions are smooth throughout the game. The one major complaint from myself, like most sport sims, is the inability of the commentators to keep up with the pace of the game, plus you have to suffer through tedious repetitive comments pre and post game.

MLB10: The Show is due to be released soonish, probably to coincide with the start of the baseball season, so I think I may acquire that as well, it looks slicker than 09.

Overall, if you're a baseball fan, you'll enjoy MLB09:The Show, if you're not a fan, then the novelty may wear off quickly.

8 homeruns out of 10 parks.

NHL 10 on the 360 - bought it after being really pleasantly surprised by the demo. My brother bought it as well and it's ace for online multiplayer. It's not quite as good as EA Ice Hockey on the Mega Drive, but it's not far off. 8.8/10

Am also finally playing my way through Bioshock, also on the 360. So far, I'm slightly underwhelmed. I can tell that it is very clever and very engrossing, but I'm finding myself just going in all guns blazing, knowing that after I die the enemies will have lost power next time round. Am still hopeful it will get better as I pick up the sexier plasmids though.

Oh, today I also played Fantasia and Castle of Illusion on a Mega Drive emulator, for research purposes. Fantasia was still the single most infuriating game I have ever played - cack collision detection and the most ludicrous parallax scrolling - it was the foreground rather than the background that was the focus of the scrolling, so Mickey regularly disappears from view behind boulders and the like, and you have no clue whether there's an enemy there as well. Utter gash.

Mirror's Edge on Xbox 912/1000

Superb futuristic free-running based mission game with a bit of puzzling 'where the fuck do I go now?' elements and the odd bit of fighting too.

Best game I've played on the Xbox. Though I've only played about 5 games on it.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare (1) also on Xbox 864/1000.

Shoot fuck out of things, some superb set-piece battles and ace weapons. Partially destroyed by using the voicework of the detective off of The Bill/InjuryLawyers4U adverts though.

Guest ShoePiss

Bioshock 2 on PS3 7/10

Just finished this. I hadn't played the the first one so didn't know much about it. I think it would have made the game more engaging if I had. I can't really say much about this game to be honest, it wasn't bad at all but there wasn't anything in it which really impressed me.

One thing I didn't like is that a lot of the baddies are hard to kill but when you die they stay on the same energy level they were at just before you died so basically it's just a matter of dying as many times as it takes to kill them, also there weren't really end of level or end of game baddies, just more of the same baddies you'd previously encountered.

Glad it was bought for me rather than paying for it myself!

Mirror's Edge on Xbox 912/1000

Superb futuristic free-running based mission game with a bit of puzzling 'where the fuck do I go now?' elements and the odd bit of fighting too.

Best game I've played on the Xbox. Though I've only played about 5 games on it.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare (1) also on Xbox 864/1000.

Shoot fuck out of things, some superb set-piece battles and ace weapons. Partially destroyed by using the voicework of the detective off of The Bill/InjuryLawyers4U adverts though.

"I did not deserve that."

Arkham Asylum on the 360 is brilliant, although i'm getting stuck where that Croc fella keeps leaping up out of the water and i keep getting killed.

Also getting into GTA IV finally, bought it on the day it came out nearly two years ago but was slightly disappointed with it at the time. I cant recall why as I am loving it now. The mission where you waste three mafioso lookouts on cranes before going into the building site all guns blazing was amazing. I cant get enough of it now and curse my initial skepticism. Possibly because Vice city was my all time favourite game and nothing since has matched the initial excitement of playing that for the first time.

Last game I completed was Dead Space, which I've mentioned elsewhere. I'll go back over it a bit here, it's cheap everywhere at the moment so it's more than worth it's value. I liked the whole game world that was created for it, yeah it ripped off famous sci-fi films but I have no problem with that if it's done well. The sound design on this game was brilliant, the music, the weapon effects, the voice acting and the sound of the necromorphs just added to the atmosphere. Atmosphere generated by the design of the Ishimura (great ship name by the way), again yeah you could point to areas where it got it's inspiration and some of the areas were a bit bland, but the lighting effects and shadows cast against the eerie sights of the dead crew just drew you in. I can remember early on, the shadow of a necromorph cast across a wall I was walking past, I wheeled around to open fire and... nothing, empty space; brilliant.

As a character Isaac is a bit bland, I've never been a big fan of silent protagonists (including Gordon Freeman) but his suit is well designed and the controls feel intuitive with the no HUD, it makes the whole thing more immersive. It clocks in at around 12 hours of gameplay and by the end you're no longer in fear of the necromorphs, you just wanna open up a six pack of whoop-ass.

8.5 out of 10.

Arkham Asylum on the 360 is brilliant, although i'm getting stuck where that Croc fella keeps leaping up out of the water and i keep getting killed.

Also getting into GTA IV finally, bought it on the day it came out nearly two years ago but was slightly disappointed with it at the time. I cant recall why as I am loving it now. The mission where you waste three mafioso lookouts on cranes before going into the building site all guns blazing was amazing. I cant get enough of it now and curse my initial skepticism. Possibly because Vice city was my all time favourite game and nothing since has matched the initial excitement of playing that for the first time.

Have a batarang handy and lash it at him as soon as he appears.

Finished Assassin's Creed 2 recently. It's definitely one of the best games I've played in a long time. The story line is fantastic and quite believable. It's crammed with interesting historical facts to boot. The graphics are fantastic, the Italian Cities featured in it are extremely detailed and some of the shouts in the game are breath-taking. There's also a lot of interesting side content, like the Glyphs (essentially puzzles), some of these are actually quite challenging and take quite a bit of thinking to figure out. All in all a great game 9.5/10.

MLB 09: The Show (PS3)

I like me baseball, and this is the best baseball sim I have played. There are plenty of games modes, though I've not tried any of the online content, so can't comment on that. However, the standard single player modes are more than capable of passing the hours without you noticing.

Graphics are good, and transitions are smooth throughout the game. The one major complaint from myself, like most sport sims, is the inability of the commentators to keep up with the pace of the game, plus you have to suffer through tedious repetitive comments pre and post game.

MLB10: The Show is due to be released soonish, probably to coincide with the start of the baseball season, so I think I may acquire that as well, it looks slicker than 09.

Overall, if you're a baseball fan, you'll enjoy MLB09:The Show, if you're not a fan, then the novelty may wear off quickly.

8 homeruns out of 10 parks.

repped the MLB the show series is fantastic, i can' wait for MLB 10

I've been playing on the Civ4 expansion pack for the PC for the last week - Beyond the sword. It's got some really neat additions to it. On the nomal game modes there's loads of new civs, new units and also the introduction of corporations that you can found and then spread across the glode is a brilliant one. It also includes loads of interesting mods and scenarios. I've just got knee-deep into one of the mods where it's like a Lord of the Rings world with units casting magic and technology going no further than archery and macemen. Good stuff. Civ really is the best in it's class. 9.99 - 10

• 2 weeks later...

Fallout 3 : 9/10

Having never played the previous 2 Fallout games I didn't know what to expect. Fuck me this game is a soletaker. Ive spent the last 5 weeks doing nothing else. Probably racked around 250 game hours exploring the Wasteland hoping an albino scorpion wasn't around the corner. I finally finished it and I must say the ending was abrupt and disappointing after all the work I put into it.

Another reason for only giving it a 9 is I think the game is just too big, a similar disappointment I had with GTA 4. Once you choose the explorer perk the world of locations are uncovered and you find it all a little disheartening.

That said, if I didn't have a life to get going again I could have spent another 5 weeks shooting the fuck out of ants, bears and extras from the Thunderdome.

I bought the Game of the Year version, which I think meant I went into space, back to the 60s, joined an army and maybe a couple of other situations I never got to discover.

And it was ace having Liam Neeson as my Dad.

That's the last game of 2010.