You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It don't get no sadder than this:

d3UB5Fr80SM

For anyone that doesn't know that's about Clapton's young son, who fell off a balcony as a nipper and died.

Alright, I know it's going to upset people, so I apologise in advance.

But this really grates. Clapton experienced a huge personal tragedy, one which I can only imagine the pain of. As part of the grieving process and personal catharsis he writes a song where he personally addresses his deceased son. Most people would say this a beautiful thing.

Picture him in a darkened room writing it, perfecting it, and singing it to his son.

He then goes and releases it as a single.

That is not a spontaneous decision. The process of recording, pressing, distributing and marketing a song is huge.

I would respect him more if he had kept the dignity of his original idea and wrote a moving and personal song, and kept it as just that: personal. He may even sing it live as a tribute.

I am not saying he was cynically cashing in. I am not heartless.

But I have to question the motives behind releasing such a personal song as a single. I just don't understand it.

I know this may upset people so again I apologise. I resisted calling him Claptout, so fair's fair.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree on Vincent, what a belting song that is.

Also- These Are The Days Of Our Lives is a right old tear-jerker. Such a sad song, and a video to match. Mercury was so ill, so painfully thin at the end it made your heart break. And yet his voice was still outstanding. In my own view, the greatest ever frontman. He had the lot, charisma, presence and a flawless voice. There are other equally sad and poignant tunes in the Queen repetoire as well, like The Show Must Go On, Who Wants To Live Forever and A Winter's Tale. Also I'm Going Slightly Mad on the surface is a playful, bizarre song, but it's hinting all the time at Mercury's deteriation.

Other sad songs:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

The Gunner's Dream

Tears In Heaven (sorry, Razor, although I can see your point)

Jealous Guy

Just Like Starting Over (not necessarily the song itself but the poignancy of the message Lennon was conveying that he never got to deliver)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_yB6ab6Pc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_yB6ab6Pc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

What it is, what it is