You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why Kuyt is better than Ronaldinho

Guest TK-421

See the game last night? Ronny looked a bit flash, eh? Scored the opener, set up another goal and was unlucky not to get a penalty out of Ferdinand's clumsy challenge in the first half. Those silky stepovers and flicks were very easy on the eye. So why do I prefer our loveable Dutchman to the goofy showboater?

Let's take a look at what happened at the other end of the pitch. The warning signs were there early on as Man Utd looked to break down the right and exploit the gap left by the disinterested Brazilian. Sure, he's a sight to behold when he's in full flow with the ball at his feet. Unfortunately for Leonardo and AC Milan he's nowhere to be seen when the opposition have the ball.

It therefore came as no surprise when Man Utd duly found themselves in a two on one against Milan's 38 year old left back towards the end of the first half. A simple overlap, a low cross and an unbelievably lucky finish and there it was - a precious away goal and a real kick in the groin for a Milan outfit left scratching their collective heads.

Undettered by what had gone before Ronny continued to neglect his poor old left back and United said "thanks very much", this time Valencia profiting from a one on one and delivering the ball on to waiting Wayne's grateful bonce. 2-1. Mountains, climbing, etc.

It's not as if this game can be taken in isolation, either. If last night's commentary team were to believed the very same thing happened in Milan's league game last weekend.

Give me Diligent Dirk any day.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Dinho.

I like my attacking players to create and win games.

Kuyt's strengths are defensively, rather than causing a threat to the opposition.

Edited by LFD

I prefer Dinho.

I like my attacking players to create and win games.

Kuyt's strengths are defensively, rather than causing a threat to mthe opposition.

You get the best of both worlds with Dirk. Goals and responsibility.

Take this season, for example. Dirk's goals record easily stands up to Ronny's.

You get the best of both worlds with Dirk. Goals and responsibility.

Take this season, for example. Dirk's goals record easily stands up to Ronny's.

Unfortunately statistics don't tell the whole story with Kuyt.

I am sure Rafa looks at his pro zone results and sees that Kuyt runs the most, scores, is in the right position defensively and given the fact he's versitile he'd argue it is a no brainer why he is a regular.

However most full backs would rather mark Kuyt than Dinho.

You saying we don't concede goals when teams attack down our right side?

As Paulie Walnuts would say, get the fuck outa here!

Not as many as we concede down our left I'd wager.

Unfortunately statistics don't tell the whole story with Kuyt.

I am sure Rafa looks at his pro zone results and sees that Kuyt runs the most, scores, is in the right position defensively and given the fact he's versitile he'd argue it is a no brainer why he is a regular.

However most full backs would rather mark Kuyt than Dinho.

The ones that would rather mark Ronaldinho must be some seriously lazy fuckers, and can't keep up with Dirk's stamina.

Not as many as we concede down our left I'd wager.

That is not what this discussion is about. You are slating Ronaldinho (previous World Player of the Year , might I add) because United scored two goals down the right hand side last night.

We concede goals down our right hand side. Are we to blame Dirk for that? Do we expect someone to come on here the next time we concede a goal like that and slate Dirk? I don't because that would be unfair.

"Diligent Dirk" really can't be compared to Ronaldinho. Not in the slightest.

Most full backs would rather have Diligent Dirk in front of them for protection.

True.

But I'd rather have wide players who can beat opposition players, create chances for fun for others and win us games.

Kuyt can beat a full back, he isn't terribly creative and he's not a match winner. He scores goals as he gets in the box and he does get in the right positions.

No doubt he gives his right back superb protection. Benitez wants wide players who can work hard, be in the right place. be equally good defensively and in attack.

I personally don't like that style. I like my attacking wide players to win the game. Let the front four win the game and the back six stop us from losing it.

I was saying similar to my brother watching the game lase night actually. He's great to watch, but i don't think he's someone i'd want in my team. I just hate to see that kind of laziness fullstop. There's absolutely no reason why any player, the world over, can't also put in a "shift". It's the easiest thing in the world to do.

It's why there's absolutely no debate in my mind over who the greatest player in th World is. Messi will run the few yards to try and get the ball back.

That is not what this discussion is about. You are slating Ronaldinho (previous World Player of the Year , might I add) because United scored two goals down the right hand side last night.

We concede goals down our right hand side. Are we to blame Dirk for that? Do we expect someone to come on here the next time we concede a goal like that and slate Dirk? I don't because that would be unfair.

"Diligent Dirk" really can't be compared to Ronaldinho. Not in the slightest.

I'm not slating him, I was very complimentary in the opening paragraph. I'm saying he doesn't track back at all, which is true, and it's to the detriment of the team no matter how many stepovers he does at the other end.

You can blame Dirk if he's not doubling up when he's supposed to, but that doesn't happen very often.

True.

But I'd rather have wide players who can beat opposition players, create chances for fun for others and win us games.

Kuyt can beat a full back, he isn't terribly creative and he's not a match winner. He scores goals as he gets in the box and he does get in the right positions.

No doubt he gives his right back superb protection. Benitez wants wide players who can work hard, be in the right place. be equally good defensively and in attack.

I personally don't like that style. I like my attacking wide players to win the game. Let the front four win the game and the back six stop us from losing it.

Dirk has won plenty of games for us - there are some very recent examples.

Sadly Milan won't be beating Man Utd despite having three "match winners" up front last night. They've left themselves too much to do.

Nothing wrong with either type of player, you just need to acknowledge that someone like Ronaldinho won't contribute in the other direction, and plan for it.

That's the part Leonardo is getting all wrong.

That's the part Leonardo is getting all wrong.

I think the idea is the right and left midfielders of the 3 in the middle are supposed to cover the full backs but if you come up against a team playing 5 in midfield then you have to either cover the central midfielders or the full backs because the likes of ronaldinho don't cover back. I thought milan were over run in midfield last night basically because there were 8 players trying to do the work of 9 because neither huntelaar or ronaldinho were working back. Also as good a player as pirlo is, he's more of a ball player than a ball winner so relaly there was only ambrosini and whoever else was in midfield trying to track 3 central midfielders and cover two wide players.

I watched Milan against Inter having read reports of a renaissance since beckham returned but they were absolutely shocking in that game and I feared for them against united. 2-3 really flatters Milan, even though I don't think United played all that well overall last night. Milan are just about still in the tie but I think they'll get their arse handed to them at OT. Reminds me of us against madrid last season. Big name team going through a transition, nowhere near the force they once were.

Final thought on why the media love united. The media want an english team representing the country who will go out and entertain and push for the win home or away and Fergies half time interview on sky and his declaration that they would go for the win as thats "the nature of this club" would've had the media wanking all over themselves. The fact that he pulled it off (excuse the pun) makes them love them even more.