You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Catch - is that you?

Paul

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Arsenal will be fourth highest, because they too have big turnovers thanks to increased revenue streams from a state of the art new stadium. Liverpool, by next season will be fifth in the wage spending league, and thus can expect to generally, over a long period, end up fifth in the league."

That is an obvious statement and one that I made a few years ago. You don't need correllation of wages to state that, as long as everything else is equal.

But everything else isn't equal is it? Put Ron manager in charge of a club with 5 times the budget of every other club and see how many times they win the league.

Yes, the manager's input is part of the 10% which isn't determined by wage rank.

Which means you can judge a manager by how he performs against his expected wage rank finish.

The issue is keeping a quality squad happy. You either have to win trophies or dish out big wages or both. We do neither at the moment.

We will never have a great bench unless we pay big bucks or give them time and most importantly keep them together as we flog our reserves to buy for the first team.

We have a good manager and a good team ethic and some very good players so I don't think we will end up fifth just because we are fifth in the wages table. I think we can win the league with a few avergae players alongside Gerrard and Torres as long as they are fit and on form - not likely i know.

I don't really care what City, Tottenham, Villa et al do if they keep the same managers as with Rafa and our team relatively fit we will finish above them imo no matter how much they spend, they are not massive clubs and will attract a certain type of player. Mancini is a slight unknown and may push on and claim the title but i still think city's players will go if the big boys come in for them especially barca and madrid

Fit and on form we can be champions. With injuries and some wobbles we need a few better players but I don't necessarily think we need a bench of world stars. Even this season we are in the hunt for fourth. I admit others are in transition and we might not be so lucky again but will we be as unlucky again with injuries?

Reina, Aurelio, Carra, Agger, Johnson, Masch, Aquilani, Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt and Yossi is a cha,pionship winning side imo

Back up of Degen, Insua, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Lucas, Maxi, Riera, N'gog, Pacheco, Nemeth, Cavalieri, jovanovic is pretty good if fit and on form.

RB back up, a quality LB, a cm back up, a striker and a top winger who can play left and right would give us a fantastic squad imo and I trust Rafa with all except the winger.

If we have 20 mil to spend then i think he can get a decent winger in but on the budget we seem to get the plodders rather than the electric pace required in the prem, not all his fault i know but sometimes someone raw out on the wings (with more nouse than babel hopefully) obviously needs a go imo.

If we do get someone who will give us a cash injection, not that much either, we will attract the best in the world. It annoys me that our manager could attract a lot of players from the European champions yet we don't have the budget to do so.

The best players in the world want the cl and they know Rafa is one of the men who can get it for them - obviously not tis year but he is one of the best cl managers around.

We are a huge club and the wage issue does not seem to be a problem for the first teamers, it is the squad that need the wages. people had a fit about degen and voronin but we have to pay bench players and Rafa has obviously been restricted in buying a better squad where these high wages may be a little more acceptable

Its inarguable that generally more money = better players = great success.

Generally

Generally

Yes noone is splitting the atom here.

But the interesting points from the work are i) It is all about wages, not transfers (they produce <20% correlation) which is unsurprising given how much larger they are than fees as Pompey are currently showing but is forgotten time & again (How many times do people absurdly claim that we outspend Arse or the Mancs or equally ridiculously that Spurs are now spending more?)

& ii) Quite how high the correlation is. Over 90% on average although that varies season by season

"Arsenal will be fourth highest, because they too have big turnovers thanks to increased revenue streams from a state of the art new stadium. Liverpool, by next season will be fifth in the wage spending league, and thus can expect to generally, over a long period, end up fifth in the league."

That is an obvious statement and one that I made a few years ago. You don't need correllation of wages to state that, as long as everything else is equal.

But everything else isn't equal is it? Put Ron manager in charge of a club with 5 times the budget of every other club and see how many times they win the league.

Didn't Chelsea do that with Avram Grant - he got to a European Cup final.

Yes, the manager's input is part of the 10% which isn't determined by wage rank.

Which means you can judge a manager by how he performs against his expected wage rank finish.

So, once again I'll ask you to print a league table from any season which proves this correllation between wages and finishing position.

Maybe we should put Ryan Babel on £300,000-a-week, sit back and watch him evolve into the best player on earth.

It is not about that. More wages attract a better standard of player to sit on the bench.

Our first team is happy. It doesn't mean we pay gerrard and torres 300k and win the league or pay the current crop of bench warmers more.

You need more wages to attract better back up.

I'm very unhappy City can afford to pay Adebayor and Robinho but we can't.

In a normal job, if someone isn't pulling their tripe out they'll just get fired. In football they can linger and linger and linger like a bad fucking odour and still keep getting paid for months, sometimes years on end.

So good character, fitness, the ability to fit in with the players already here and a fierce will to succeed - that's 10% of it, right?

It is not about that. More wages attract a better standard of player to sit on the bench.

Our first team is happy. It doesn't mean we pay gerrard and torres 300k and win the league or pay the current crop of bench warmers more.

You need more wages to attract better back up.

Have you seen the mancs' bench recently? Or Arsenals?

Anyone have the percentage for missing out on last season's title, which we're told proved beyond doubt that Rafa can win the title in this country?

Maybe we should put Ryan Babel on £300,000-a-week, sit back and watch him evolve into the best player on earth.

Spend the £300,000 on a new heart and spine and you'd get better results.

Perhaps the reason he's NOT on anything more than he is indicates his level?

(* I think he's overpaid by a factor of 10x.)

Have you seen the mancs' bench recently? Or Arsenals?

Anyone have the percentage for missing out on last season's title, which we're told proved beyond doubt that Rafa can win the title in this country?

As i said above, you need time, money or both. Arsenal and the Mancs have continuity in their squads. It takes far longer for a squad player to learn their role.

O'Shea, Neville, Evans, Fletcher, Parke etc not world beaters but they have learnt their role and become useful. Our squad gets chopped and changed to scrape funds for the first team.

Also young players can provide an injection of raw ability but you also have to pay them wages as Arsenal do.

I'm very unhappy City can afford to pay Adebayor and Robinho but we can't.

In a normal job, if someone isn't pulling their tripe out they'll just get fired. In football they can linger and linger and linger like a bad fucking odour and still keep getting paid for months, sometimes years on end.

So good character, fitness, the ability to fit in with the players already here and a fierce will to succeed - that's 10% of it, right?

How a team can send a player on loan who was the british record transfer fee and 13 mil above our record and not suffer much ill effect is very disheartening.