You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Unirea Urziceni (h) 18th Feb

TaksimRakiClub

Gentlemen - I live outside of the UK (a long way outside!) and so can't attend the game or watch on C5. Usually catch our games on ESPN/Start Sports here, but pretty sure they are not showing Europa League games live.

If anybody has a link to a means through which I can watch this game live, I am very grateful if you can pm me with the details. Cheers.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafa's pre-Unirea chat - Liverpool FC

Rafa Benitez took 10 minutes for a relaxed chat with radio journalists ahead of tonight's Europa League clash with Unirea Urziceni at Anfield. Here's what the gaffer had to say.

On the strength of the Europa League...

To be fair, if you analyse the teams that are in the competition they are very strong. The problem we have is that we are playing a club people maybe don't know, but Unirea did well in the Champions League. We have Juventus, Valencia and Atletico Madrid and a lot of teams who are strong in Europe in the Europa League. It will be a difficult competition, but it is the only one we can win this season, so we will try to do our best from the beginning.

On the gap between the Europa League and the Champions League...

If you look at this round, you will see a difference, but if you analyse the quarter finals or semi finals, any club who are at that stage in the Europa League will be good enough to be in the Champions League too.

On what progressing in the competition would mean to Liverpool...

It is important to progress. We know what it means to win the UEFA Cup - Carra and Gerrard have this experience and so do I from Valencia. To win a European competition against top sides will be very important. If you cannot be in the Champions League, you have to do your best here and try to win something for the fans. The difference now is maybe the name of the clubs, but when you get to the quarter finals and semi finals you will see top sides with history in Europe. We will try to do our best.

On whether it is over confident to suggest Liverpool will definitely progress...

I think so. My responsibility as manager is to analyse the other team. We've had a lot of people watching them, had some reports and we know they are a difficult team to beat. The main thing for me and the players is to approach the game like a final.

On Romanian football...

They have some good teams, good players and know how to play football. Maybe in the past the weak point was the tactical organisation of the teams, but Unirea are well organised. We also have experience of their new manager from when we played Maccabi Haifa, who were also good, so it will be tough.

On the importance of winning silverware...

I think it is always important for any club. Modern football is more about money and it can make a massive difference if you have more or less money. But we are strong enough now, we have players coming back from injuries, so hopefully we will have more competition in each position and we can fight and try to win. But to win any trophy, you have to start with the first game.

On adding momentum to the season in Europe...

We will try to do well because if you can win (in Europe), it can be a big boost for the rest of the season. We have City this weekend, so if we can win and play well against Unirea, it will be better for our next game. It is always the same in football - you have to keep winning games, try to do your best from the beginning and try to win a trophy. The main thing we need to know is that Unirea are a good team who did well in the Champions League and nearly qualified. They changed their manager, but they are a well organised, compact team who play good counter-attack. Hopefully we will not see this on Thursday because that will mean we are doing well, but from the videos we have watched we know they are a good team.

On Liverpool's form since exiting the Champions League...

It is clear we have confidence now and we have to try to carry on playing well and winning. We also have players like Torres and Johnson close to training with the team again, and we have Nabil, Kelly and Fabio Aurelio all training. Yossi is also training, but he is still not fully fit because of the rib injury. But the players are training, they are closer and that means more competition in each position and makes it more difficult for me to decide (who to pick).

On the players' postive response to going out of the Champions League...

It was fantastic. We have to keep doing the same. We went seven games without losing, and I don't think we deserved to lose at Arsenal, so we have to keep this momentum and prove to everyone we are good enough.

On making the best out of a difficult season...

All teams have good moments and bad moments. We know it is not a good season, but when you talk about any club, they have periods when they don't do well but you have to carry on and move forward. We know last year was really good in terms of points in the league. Now we are in a different situation and it's difficult because the expectations were very high, but we have to manage. This is an important competition for us and we would be really pleased if we could win it, but we have to start with the first game against Unirea.

Stevie eyes more Euro glory - Liverpool FC

Steven Gerrard today called on his Liverpool teammates to rise to the challenge of putting one foot into the last sixteen of the Europa League with victory over Unirea Urziceni this evening.

The Reds host the Romanian champions in the first leg of the knock-out tie and although not the Champions League football Liverpool crave at this stage of the season, Gerrard draws on his own experience to claim the Europa League is well worth winning.

"It's very dangerous to bet against Liverpool, especially when our backs are to the wall," he said."

"This season has been inconsistent and hasn't gone to plan. But, for me as captain and for the team, we've got one more trophy to lift. So we'll be giving everything. Anyone who underestimates the Europa League is not for me because I've lifted the UEFA Cup before.

"It's a special trophy, and was a superb final. Hopefully we can experience the same feeling this season.

"I've always found in Europe that Liverpool have more problems against less well-known teams because of the surprise factor.

"To play Liverpool is a big game for Unirea and they'll be looking for a big upset and will be very dangerous.

"But (manager) Rafa (Benitez) will make sure that the team is prepared."

Without wanting to go off topic here, am I the only one that thinks Skrtel has still played pretty poorly since he got back in the team?

Probably.

He was many peoples motm against the arse`s, he played very well against Spurs as well. I think his performances has improved after he was dropped (ironically after his first goal against Man C).

I have no complaints about his current and recent form.

Gerrard's confidence in his team mates takes yet another blow in an overall abysmal season.

SG: Today we're really going to work hard to get prepared for another strong finish to a season.

DK: Yeah of course, captain.

unirea1_4b7d093aabe96449239053.jpg

JC *thinks to himself*: It has to look right

unirea2.jpg

JC: Job done. Let's head for lunch, lads.

unirea3.jpg

you're not a donkey as you're just a dirk kuyt impersonator. remind me what success means to a rafa lover? oh i'll give you a bit of help - hard work on its own will never be enough.

it'll be interesting to see what the turnout is for the thursday cup.

Brilliant. I know you were logged on when I made my post, and I didn't log off till about 1.30am. Yet instead of replying while I was still here, you waited several hours to do it. Or perhaps that's how long your feeble brain took to come up with such a poor reply.

No doubt you've crawled back under your rock till tonight.

No one got a text of the team yet?

Mate sent me this and said that according to someone on RAOTL who has apparently got the team right the past month or so, it's this;

Reina, Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Aurelio, Kuyt, Masch, Lucas, Riera, Gerrard, Ngog.

Really hope it's not that team, though.

Mate sent me this and said that according to someone on RAOTL who has apparently got the team right the past month or so, it's this;

Boring 1 nil scrape through with that. Hope I'm wrong. Prove me wrong lads!!

Joke of a team, that. Hopefully.

Why play Agger with his dodgy back when The Greek is available? Ditto Carra's groin and Kelly? That looks an odd side to me and that's without mentioning yet another selection without the "£20m pound man who obviously can't be trusted".

Why play Agger with his dodgy back when The Greek is available? Ditto Carra's groin and Kelly? That looks an odd side to me and that's without mentioning yet another selection without the "£20m pound man who obviously can't be trusted".

I fully agree mate, and I personally doubt that will be the team tonight. Just passing on what I was sent. I think it's a cert that Aquilani will start, and I'm hoping for at the very least, a start for Pacheco and Kelly, with cameos for Amoo and Spearing.