You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kevin Bridges

Elite

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Kevin Bridges:

When I was at school, it was different.

You got Fat shamed, skinny shamed, speccy shamed, ginger shamed, addidas 4 stripe shamed, big ear shamed,

I’d pump yer maw shamed, yer dad's an alchy shamed, Bucky teeth shamed, head lice shamed.

And if you complained, you got cannae take a shaming shamed.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Last week, The Guardian did a top 50 greatest comedians of the 21st century for some reason- https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/sep/18/best-comedians-of-the-21st-century-comics-standup-comedy

It's funnier than most of the dross on it.

They've been top lists of the 21st century for loads of other stuff as well, films, books, TV programmes etc. They're either desperate for clicks, or they know the world is about to end.

15 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Stand up comedy it's any of Eddie Izzard, Billy Connolly, 70's Steve Martin or Dylan Moran, for me.

Comic actors i'd go for Michael Palin, Eric Morecambe, Reeves and Mortimer or Rik Mayall

I love Dylan Moran, he's not done anything for ages though. 

I watched Paul Chowdhry's special on Amazon last week and thought it was very good, definitely one of the better current comedians out there.

16 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Old school stand up - Richard Pryor, Dave Allen, Steven Wright, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Eddie Izzard

Recent - Bill Burr and Tom Segura.

I cant get my head around Izzard being described as old school, but i guess he is, given how long he has been doing it for.

17 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Old school stand up - Richard Pryor, Dave Allen, Steven Wright, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Eddie Izzard

Recent - Bill Burr and Tom Segura.

Steven Wright is brilliant,as was/is Emo Phillips. I like the Old School style of 'The Comedians' tv show where comedians tell actual jokes and funny/anecdotal stories. There are too many 'observational comedians' and their observations are not actually funny,they are often simply cringeworthy or mildly humourous at best.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Steven Wright is brilliant,as was/is Emo Phillips. I like the Old School style of 'The Comedians' tv show where comedians tell actual jokes and funny/anecdotal stories. There are too many 'observational comedians' and their observations are not actually funny,they are often simply cringeworthy or mildly humourous at best.

Of the modern era Stewart Lee stands out for me but I don't mind the likes of Kevin Bridges,Lee Mack is ok,Tim Vine(as I like the daft,quickfire stuff) and one or two others.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, sir roger said:

Joan Rivers

Ricky Martin was that far in the closet his ass was in Narnia

Out of rep mate.

Rivers was undoubtedly one of the funniest on the circuit, plus she started at a time when women rarely ventured into the field of 'Stand Up' comedy. She also wrote quite a few funny books. 'The Book of Joan' is an excellent one.