You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gareth Barry

Rico1304

I think Barry is a good player.

Worth the money City paid. He looks to be not in the best of form though.

If Alonso'sform had been as good every year as it was last year, he wouldn't have left.

Sorry. That post is utter tripe

Barry is average. They paid 12m with less than a year on his contract. Never worth 12m or the 16m plus rafa wanted to pay

xabi had a poor run after he had the bad injury. He was immense for us when he was here. But I guess some go to any lengths to back rafa. Babel has Bern shit since he has been here. On your logic why has he not been sold?

I reckon even without the Barry saga, Alonso would have left over the summer. The option to return to Spain, more money and the opportunity to be part of their exciting new project, in a world cup year as well.

I am sure he respected the fans, but the truth is he knew that we had blown our best chance of the league and it was time for a change.

I agree with this too. I'm not saying the Barry thing was right, it was clearly wrong. What it did is give Alonso the right cover story. He loved the fans and everything, but I believe the opportunity to join Real Madrid was too big to miss.

Barry is nowhere near as good as Alonso.

Barry is nowhere near as good as Downing. He's not yet firing for Villa, but he will be. I reckon he was a missed opportunity. He was brilliant for Boro last year. He tracks back, gets stuck in, can take people on and can cross a ball. I also think he has a good attitude.

There, I've said it.

Gareth Barry would have been a very good extra addition to our squad last summer. He'd also have been a much better option to replace Xabi than Aquilani has been. However, I'd have settled for just bringing last season's squad fully intact into this season with maybe another forward added to the mix, money permitting.

Would have been happy for Barry to be our player but he wanted the extra money and perhaps saw Liverpool as a problem club so that's that.

I think he's played ok this season, but has seemed a bit off the boil of late.

Absolute bollocks. Without wishing to open up a can of worms, he would have stayed if it wasn't for some horrific treatment.

Huh? We know the Barry thing was one of the reasons he wanted to leave and probably sowed the original seed. But horrific treatment? That means most footballers during their career are subjected to "horrific" treatment. Rafa decided he hadn't been good enough and so tried to replace him. Xabi didn't like this and so left the next summer. Hardly horrific and happens all the time at clubs around Europe.

He doesn't read posts before slagging people off. You don't get a proud set of red squares like that and keep them by entering into reasoned debate.

Ah, OK. He obviously has form. I had no idea who he was or why his point bore absolutely no relation to mine.

Huh? We know the Barry thing was one of the reasons he wanted to leave and probably sowed the original seed. But horrific treatment? That means most footballers during their career are subjected to "horrific" treatment. Rafa decided he hadn't been good enough and so tried to replace him. Xabi didn't like this and so left the next summer. Hardly horrific and happens all the time at clubs around Europe.

so in the summer if rafa comes out and says gerrard may leave or may stay every other day (as he's had a poor season by his usual high standards) you would not see a problem with it?

The treatment of xabi was shocking. Even the mist ardent rafa fan would be deluded to say otherwise. The almost grovelling by rafa when the season had finished telling xabi to think about the fans was utterly embarassing too. It was a major fuck up by rafa. All seemed to go downhill for xabi when he refused to go to the inter game to attend the birth of his child

to his credit even now xabi praises rafa. The guy was class for us and is better than the two we kept in masch and Lucas.

Yes of course. Aquilani has been such a resounding success for us.

If I were you I'd stop for a second and think before spouting such a ridiculous post.

Sammy, is your house directly under a large electricity pylon? Does your brain sometimes feel warm when you get angry? Are you able to park in spaces forbidden to most of us?