You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gareth Barry

Rico1304

He's shit. And we wanted to play him on the left(if you believe for a second that Rafa didn't want to sell Xabi)? *shudder*

What really makes me laugh though over our pursuing of him is when people say the whole reason Robbie Keane didn't work was because we didn't get Barry. It's really amazing how much people will delude themselves when looking to find reasons for making that signing.

He's shit. And we wanted to play him on the left(if you believe for a second that Rafa didn't want to sell Xabi)? *shudder*

What really makes me laugh though over our pursuing of him is when people say the whole reason Robbie Keane didn't work was because we didn't get Barry. It's really amazing how much people will delude themselves when looking to find reasons for making that signing.

The reason Robbie Keane didn't work out is because he wasn't good enough, simple as that.

I never did see the fascination with him, and what worries me the most is that Rafa thought he would play balls into Keane from the left hand side - I cannot fathom how the rest of the team would be setup

I hope Benitez was putting a spin on things and pretending not wanting to sell Xabi or something. If he honestly meant it: :wallbutt:

I reckon even without the Barry saga, Alonso would have left over the summer. The option to return to Spain, more money and the opportunity to be part of their exciting new project, in a world cup year as well.

I am sure he respected the fans, but the truth is he knew that we had blown our best chance of the league and it was time for a change.

Whenever I see City , Barry seems to be amongst their better players & I very rarely see him have a really bad game for either City or England.

I know losing Xabi is still raw for some on here , but there is no doubt that Gareth Barry would be a good option for any team in the Premiership.

I reckon even without the Barry saga, Alonso would have left over the summer. The option to return to Spain, more money and the opportunity to be part of their exciting new project, in a world cup year as well.

I am sure he respected the fans, but the truth is he knew that we had blown our best chance of the league and it was time for a change.

I disagree.

I disagree.

We will never know, but I think the reasons I mentioned above would tempt most footballers. After the season he had, he would have commanded a massive wage and one we possibly couldn't offer him. Manchester City and Real Madrid has inflated the transfer market and the wages the top players could get

We will never know, but I think the reasons I mentioned above would tempt most footballers. After the season he had, he would have commanded a massive wage and one we possibly couldn't offer him. Manchester City and Real Madrid has inflated the transfer market and the wages the top players could get

That's not exactly true, it's more like, "we will have some supporters who will never accept that".

That's not exactly true, it's more like, "we will have some supporters who will never accept that".

I know Benitez was a major factor in Alonso leaving, what happened the summer before wasn't nothing sure of a disgrace. It is impossible to say that had the summer of 2008 not happened, Alonso wouldn't have been tempted by the lure of Real Madrid.

Absolute bollocks. Without wishing to open up a can of worms, he would have stayed if it wasn't for some horrific treatment.

I think Barry is a good player.

Worth the money City paid. He looks to be not in the best of form though.

If Alonso'sform had been as good every year as it was last year, he wouldn't have left.

Barry is distinctly average. I call him Mr Invisible. Doesn't do anything particularly well. Goes missing in big games.

Well worth the money? £12m? Fucking frightening that if it wasn't for the interference from the two cunts, that Rafa would have paid £18-20m for him.

On your last point, I'm not even gonna bother to respond to that.