You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Bishop

Faustus

You mean like 'Liverpool'?

There are a great many people from outside the city boundary who speak with a Scouse accent, consider themselves Scouse and are widely considered by the rest of the country to be Scousers. The captain and vice captain of a certain sporting outfit, being from Huyton and Bootle respectively, spring irresistably to mind.

Limiting "Scouse" to just those born within certain artificial boundaries seems somewhat fallacious.

There are a great many people from outside the city boundary who speak with a Scouse accent, consider themselves Scouse and are widely considered by the rest of the country to be Scousers. The captain and vice captain of a certain sporting outfit, being from Huyton and Bootle respectively, spring irresistably to mind.

Limiting "Scouse" to just those born within certain artificial boundaries seems somewhat fallacious.

2 dogs and boot hill are classed as scousers, not Runcorn

Places like that have always been classed as Liverpool despite shifting boundaries. Runcorn has always been Cheshire and has a town with a completely different accent inbetween it and Liverpool. I could start talking like Billy Connolly but it wouldn't make me Scottish. In fact, there's a good chance people from different parts of the country might well believe i'm from north of the boarder but i'm confident most Scottish people would know something wasn't right.

Again, i couldn't give a fuck how anyone talks but i did notice a severe over-egging of the pudding on the few times i encountered Runcorn folk.

And i like the way you use words like fallacious. It makes me think you're dead clever and that.

2 dogs and boot hill are classed as scousers, not Runcorn

According to who? You? On what basis?

Places like that have always been classed as Liverpool despite shifting boundaries.

No they haven't, it is only as Liverpool grew that it swallowed up outlying towns and incorporated them into its territory.

Runcorn has always been Cheshire and has a town with a completely different accent inbetween it and Liverpool.

Except for all those Runcorn people who speak with Scouse accents, of course.

And i like the way you use words like fallacious. It makes me think you're dead clever and that.

Fallacious isn't a "clever word".

My accent inadvertently becomes stronger at the match (although in no way do I sound like an entirely different person as those with ESD do). It's not deliberate; probably some sort of instinctive/subconscious tribal thing.

I think you adapt to whoever you're speaking to as a rule though, if you're around a few strong scouse accents yours will probably adapt as you try to converse with them, likewise if you're around someone who maybe wouldn't understand it if spoken too fast, you'll slow it down and smooth it out a bit. It's good social intelligence.

I think you adapt to whoever you're speaking to as a rule though, if you're around a few strong scouse accents yours will probably adapt as you try to converse with them, likewise if you're around someone who maybe wouldn't understand it if spoken too fast, you'll slow it down and smooth it out a bit. It's good social intelligence.

Aye - an aspect of empathy, I suppose. Over time I recognise myself mirroring the mannerisms or verbal inflections of close friends when I'm with them.

According to who? You? On what basis?

No they haven't, it is only as Liverpool grew that it swallowed up outlying towns and incorporated them into its territory.

According to 99% of people i know

Agreed, when i work out of town a lot of people tell me i talk too fast, so i have to slow it down

How is Bootle outlying? It's right next to town. If you really wanted to get pedantic you could say they're both in boroughs of Merseyside, which Runcorn certainly isn't. It's also true that, just like you said most people around the city would think they're scousers, most people from Liverpool would think the opposite. Who's opinion would be more valid? I'd have be very self-absorbed to think i could tell a Scotsman what makes people Scottish.

I was talking about Widnes being inbetween Liverpool and Runcorn and all those Widnes people who speak with Woolyback accents, of course. Like i said, if i decided to speak with a Scottish accent it wouldn't make me Scottish. When we used to play Runcorn sides some of them woulf have broader accents than team we played from the North End. Only they weren't real scouse accents.

And i'm sure that word isn't clever to you , you big smarty pants.

I think the scouse accents in Runcorn are pretty genuine on the whole, as the new town is basically a self-contained enclave. They live, drink, and go to school together and have very little to do with the rest of Runcorn. Traditional Runcorn accent is Lancashire sounding, as both it and Widnes were traditional Lancashire towns.

One thing about scouse though is that it's exceptionally strong, it influences other accents and doesn't tend to be corroded by other influences. If you stuck a scouser on a desert island with five generic northerners and picked them up ten years later, they'd all have scouse accents.

I don't have a very broad scouse accent, probably because i've lived abroad for a fair bit of my life and also spent four years at uni and now live up here.

According to my bird though, it definitely gets stronger when i'm at home and surrounded by family and friends. I guess that's just a subconscious thing.

I hate the really broad scouse accent, it sounds horrible.

Is there such a thing as a broad scouse accent these days? Or is it mostly just amped up by bellends? Margi Clarke springs to mind.

It's probably 'amped up' in a lot of cases, but I know some sound people who definitely don't 'amp it up', it's just how it is!

I wouldn't say our vice captain purposely puts his on, for instance, it's just the way it is.

I think it's a Birkenhead thing mate as it's the closest to Liverpool in both geography and accent. The further away from the tunnel you go, the more snobbery people show to Liverpool. You'd think Wallasey would be the same, but it's not; it's like a weird little island out there all on its own (probably because you don't have to go through it to get anywhere).

Then again, the parochialism of people never ceases to amaze me. The kids in our place talk about kids from the north end as if they're a different race yet they often live less than half a mile away.

I suppose, Paul, what I meant was that I'm aware of little scrotes from Birkenhead who take great pleasure in distancing themselves from Liverpool, just like I know little scrotes from Liverpool who take great pleasure in dishing out all the 'wool' stuff. There's obviously a difference between knowing people and being aware of them, if that makes sense.

Me and my mates from Birkenhead are pretty comfortable with where we're from and our relationship with Liverpool, so there's nothing really to add to that. I enjoy a bit of stick with mates I know from Liverpool about where we're from, but that's about it. No nastiness to it all, unlike what some people are like.

I do agree with your last point, Paul. It's something very bizarre I've found how you get these little splits between geographical locations based on misconceptions, like say, between lads from Birkenhead and those who live a stone's throw away in the North End and people in the north and south of Liverpool. I remember being on the coach coming back from Stoke a couple of weeks ago and some lad from Speke was buzzing off me and my mates until we said we were from Birkenhead and he started to shun us, ignoring the fact that we live closer to the ground and the city centre than we did. I suppose that's just case of the idiosyncrasies of geography though.

One thing though that does make me laugh from the uber Scouse brigade is how quickly they are to group anybody who would ordinarily be seen as a 'wool' as being fro Liverpool when it suits them. I've heard Evertonians from Liverpool call Dixie Dean a Scouser when he was born and bred in the North End of Birkenhead. I remember speaking to some lad from Wavertree at Glasto a few years ago and he called The Coral 'a good Liverpool band' when they're from Hoylake. It doesn't bother me as such, just makes me laugh because as I said, I put it down to the idiosyncrasies of geography.

My dad grew up on Scottie Road, moved to Runcorn and talked like a Scottie Roader, bizarre hey?

Seriously though, the new town part of Runcorn where the vast majority of Scousers moved to, does have a youth with a predeliction for exaggerated Scouse and it's something that is laughed at the majority of older people who were actually born in Liverpool but don't feel the need. The vast majority of lads 25 and under were more likely to have been born in either Warrington or Chester funnily enough.

I've always believed that there is essentially a Greater Merseyside (not Liverpool) which encompasses the current Merseyside apart from St Helens, the Wirral, Chester, Runcorn and Widnes and West Lancashire. These areas are inextirpably linked with the city of Liverpool in terms of their economies and Liverpool should be grateful for this with the rest of the North West region linked far more with Manchester.

As for John Bishop I don't watch that much telly and really haven't seen enough of him to comment, though he does a strong resemblance to Jamie Carragher.

Newport is a disgraceful revenge negger.

No revenge Negging- Newport count yourself Negged!!!!!!

John Bishop, Havent heard much of him until recently. I like him. As I havent heard alot of him before his jokes to me are still quite refreshing. As to what he has said or supposed to have said about these American owners, I havent heard either, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Whats the Hes** joke?

Guest davelfc

None of this would have happened if they had just bricked up the fuckng tunnels for real, instesd of just talking about it. Oh yes and sunk the ferries, knocked down the runcorn bridge and bricked up the rail tunnel too.

Problem solved. (what was the problem again?)