You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Bishop

Faustus

Peter Serafinowicz is actually from Gateacre. His accent is a quite mild Scouse. But he does do a lot of impressions so he might only be putting on that accent - he may actually sound like Margi Clarke, or, alternatively, Rex Harrison, who was a Huyton baddie.

His show was brilliant by the way, check out his Paul McCartney YouTube - Paul Mccartney At Christmas - The Peter Serafinowicz show , bit of Trivia about the Serafinowicz is that his grandad was charged for war crimes in World War 2. As for John Bishop being from Runcorn nowt wrong with that ! From Birkenhead me self but moved to Runcorn 13 years ago (met Mrs Baldi) its just birkenhead with more chemicals ! I wonder who does Bishop's PR because they have done an amazing job.

Why are people over the water obsessed with distancing themselves from the city of Liverpool apart from when they are on holiday?

I don't know anybody who does that. I think you get that from people from places like Heswall, where they were doing somersaults when the CH postcode got in, but I don't know anybody in Birkenhead who is obsessed with distancing themselves from Liverpool. I love Liverpool- I go to university there, do a hell of a lot of drinking there, obviously support the f**tball team and lived there for two years. Before I got laid off from my job in a solicitors in town, I was spending more time in Liverpool than in Birkenhead. However, if anybody asks me where I'm from, I say Birkenhead.

The only time I say I'm from Liverpool is when I'm abroad and I get asked where I'm from by foreign people, because obviously, they've never heard of Birkenhead.

Why are people over the water obsessed with distancing themselves from the city of Liverpool apart from when they are on holiday?

I've seen that loads, weirdos. But mostly people from New Brighton for some reason.

Isn't Runcorn's biggest attraction that massive rubbish tip you can see from most places in the town?

I don't know anybody who does that. I think you get that from people from places like Heswall, where they were doing somersaults when the CH postcode got in, but I don't know anybody in Birkenhead who is obsessed with distancing themselves from Liverpool. I love Liverpool- I go to university there, do a hell of a lot of drinking there, obviously support the f**tball team and lived there for two years. Before I got laid off from my job in a solicitors in town, I was spending more time in Liverpool than in Birkenhead. However, if anybody asks me where I'm from, I say Birkenhead.

The only time I say I'm from Liverpool is when I'm abroad and I get asked where I'm from by foreign people, because obviously, they've never heard of Birkenhead.

I think it's a Birkenhead thing mate as it's the closest to Liverpool in both geography and accent. The further away from the tunnel you go, the more snobbery people show to Liverpool. You'd think Wallasey would be the same, but it's not; it's like a weird little island out there all on its own (probably because you don't have to go through it to get anywhere).

Then again, the parochialism of people never ceases to amaze me. The kids in our place talk about kids from the north end as if they're a different race yet they often live less than half a mile away.

On Exaggerated Scouse Disorder, I encountered a chronic case outside the match a couple of weeks ago while chatting to Jules and Dave. Some utter fucking turd of a tout was bouncing around talking about "dat fuckin' Chink cunt over dere, la" who wouldn't buy off him. I mean he looked sub-human anyway, but he was almost talking a foreign language so over the top was his accent.

They're not, it's just a cliche that people from Liverpool make up in order to feel better about themselves.

Seriously though, it's only the posh arses in Heswall/Irby etc. who hate being linked to Liverpool. Incidentally, the CH postcode isn't for Cheshire, it's for Chester's sorting office as it's cheaper to send the post up on the train than bus it through the tunnel tolls from Copperas Hill.

If people ask me where I'm from when I'm away I say "Wirral, that litlle sticky out part opposite Liverpool on the other side of the River Mersey, kind of like New Jersey to Liverpool's New York."

I can see town from two streets away, beautiful view. I work in Liverpool, spend my money in Liverpool (as it's Liverpool who gave me a job) and the only reason I live over this side is family commitments otherwise I'd have sold up and moved over years ago.

The Scouse accent doesn't belong to Liverpool, though. Accents don't know political boundaries.

The thing is around here accents do tend to differ quite dramatically. You can tell the difference between people from over the water or people from Widnes etc. In fact, the Widnes accent is very distinct and that is inbetween Runcorn and Liverpool. It obviously isn't that precise it's dictated by postcodes but different areas have different accents. That's just a fact.

Runcorn is an overspill for Liverpool so this generation seem to need to exaggerate their accents to make themselves seem more scouse. At least that's the impression i got when we played teams from around there.

For the record, i couldn't give a fuck how people talk or who's scouse and who isn't. I just thought John Bishop sounds like a simpleton. Like Beckham and people from Wolverhampton.

The Scouse accent doesn't belong to Liverpool, though. Accents don't know political boundaries.

True, but they do know geographical ones (with exceptions made for migration). A Birkenhead accent is quite distinct from a Liverpool one to my ear and "posh" Wirral accents like those from West Kirby and Heswall sound a world away, even though there are relatively strong "Scouse" inflections in it. I would imagine those with an ear for it could tell the difference between accents in Liverpool too, although I don't know the city well enough outside of the centre to be able to do so.

I think people like to over-egg their scouseness because scousers have a reputation for being hard, it's like with black lads giving it the homeboy treatment, you've effectively already got a fearsome reputation so if you're a particular type of person, i.e a bully or a shithouse, you'll try and use it to make people stay out of your way.

In a club in Warrington a while back, I had a few words with some fat cunt who tried to push in front of me at the bar, he goes "where the fuck are you from, Runcorn?" I said innocently "Speke" and his face dropped, he apologised and shook my hand. Damndest thing I've ever seen.

I'm apparently a scouse 'O.G'