You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boumsong attacks Houllier

Hermes

Sounds like we avoided signing a money grabbing mercenary in this lad.

Boumsong unhappy with Houllier

Monday, 26 January 2004

boumsong_face.jpgbar_cc_links.gifPlayers:

Jean-Alain Boumsong Teams:

AuxerreRangersLiverpoolFuture Rangers star Jean-Alain Boumsong has launched a scathing attack at Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier over the collapse of his move to Anfield.

The 24-year-old has signed a five-year deal with the Scottish champions, after seeing a possible switch to Liverpool collapse.

The French international is more than happy with his deal at Ibrox - but he is not pleased with the way Houllier handled his possible switch to Merseyside.

Boumsong also confirms that Liverpool had struck a deal with his club Auxerre for his services.

"At the end of last season, an agreement had been found between Liverpool and Auxerre," Boumsong stated.

"Gerard Houllier explained that this agreement had to be put to the board of Liverpool and I awaited confirmation, but no news came.

"After having patience in November I knew Houllier did not want me anymore, even after what had been carried out with me and Auxerre.

"I find this attitude surprising, especially when he said a little later that I did not deserve to wear the shirt of Liverpool.

"I question his integrity and I am not the first who has done.

"He does things that are simply distressing and I wonder a little whether a man like that deserves to be in charge of such a club.

"The way he treats players tarnishes the image of the club."

Boumsong added that he wanted his future sorted out by the beginning of this year and he has found that agreement with Rangers.

"I wanted to be fixed up before the beginning of January 2004, so I would be right in my head, I wanted the calmness," he added.

"When I understood that I would not go to Liverpool, I looked at the options for another club.

"Everyone thought that I had already signed and I had to tell everyone I had not, as this is a difficult market at the moment and I wanted offers from large clubs.

"Inter took a step to me and then moved back and I never had anything concrete from them.

"L'OM [Marseille] made an approach at the end of last season, but the offer was complicated.

"Financially it was not up to what I was looking for as they had a limited budget.

"In fact they then made another signing. They then came back to me in November, but they made an offer that was not acceptable as my transfer depended on the sale of Daniel van Buyten.

"This was disappointing, I understand that a club can be limited financially but when a player is wanted there are risks to take if you want him to wear your shirt.

"At Rangers I found this respect, something I did not find elsewhere.

"I have actually signed a pre-contract with Rangers for the next five years, Rangers came to me with a very big contract.

"I really felt the leaders of the club wanted me to come, and for me the human relations are the main importance.

"Scotland is not the greatest championship, but Rangers are a large club.

"They told me they wanted to put past glories behind them and build a young competitive team and this was an interesting challenge.

"I think Scottish football is progressing, despite that it does not get media attention in France like England.

"Perhaps Rangers can be a springboard for me, a stage for my objective. I want to be in a competitive team next season and want to compete with the best in Europe. "I know people have criticised my choice, but I have taken this and it is my decision and I have no regrets. "People will say this is the wrong reason, but for me it is clear that I want a club where I am regarded."

What a wanker. He says, I think Scottish football is progressing. Bullshit. For some reason, before the Liverpool/Newc match was on it was supposed to be Arse/Boro. No idea what happened, but was treated to Rangers-Livingston. Still trying to clear the images of awfulness from my mind, Could only watch for twenty minutes or so. They had the ref and all the players holding up big red placards before the match that said "Give Racism the Red Card". Yeah, okay. Is that before or after the No Surrender, kill all the Catholics sectarian Glaswegian west side east side we won the battle of boyne, or whatever, long live William of Orange, have I left anything out. I shit myself worried that the Canadian tv had royaly fucked up and would be treated to Celtic vs TeamSheepDip. Thank God (the Protestant,Presby, Lutheran, Pope, Islam Buddha whatever God there is) that the first images on my screen were of the Kop. Good luck Buomsong, colect yer fat paycheck and memorize some Burns poetry. Oh, and don't forget to try le Haggis au tripe.

And Houllier replies (off another board, unsourced except for "in today's papers"), which could actually fit in well with what Boumsong himself said:

Houllier said: "What Boumsong has said is both deceitful and incorrect.

"The player gave me his word that he would join Liverpool and we even shook hands. We agreed his salary and the length of his contract.

"I then learned he and his agent had decided to sell him to the highest bidder. His move to Rangers is based on money."

the rest of the GH quote:

"... and as far as I was concerned the matter was finished.

"I wish him good luck, but if he really wants me to tell the whole truth about this business it is going to be very bad for him.

"I have got all the relevant faxes in my possession to show to anybody who wants to know what really went on."

Money, the root of all evil. Some players just dont give a toss

about where they play or what they achieve in the game,

as long as they get there fat cheque each month. Sad Fuck.