You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Semmy

johnb

Think most people are happy with the team on Satdee. With the exception of Milan for Emile, I think most people would agree on it.

But I think that there's a really strong argument for Semmy instead of Finnan. If we had Semy in there and he was allowed attack à la as against Southampton and that run, I think we'd be stronger. Finnan may have got forward a bit, but his crossing was abysmal - never missing the front man.

A back five of Kirky, Semmy (hopefully doing what Babbel did), H and H and Carra looks good to me.

It's far too early to tell with Semmy yet. He certainly looked good for his three or four games, but Finnan has years of Premiership and international experience and hasn't had a real chance to play in a settled back four yet. With the addition of Cisse and hopefully a creative, goal-scoring midfielder the onus will be on our defenders to defend rather than create chances.

finnan is a much better defender than semmy. simple as

Fair enough - that's your opinion. But I don't agree.

And it's not just about defending - it's about what full-backs can bring further up the field too. That's the biggest mystery for Gérard with me - the move away from the Babbel-like full-back of 2000-01, one with licence to move forward, towards the more defenisve-minded full-backs we see today.

Semmy's run against Southampton was everything that Liverpool should and can embody. He's local, he's good, he cost nothing - don't lose him!!! We don't want another Ste Wright scenario, do we?

Guest Stormbringer
Fair enough - that's your opinion. But I don't agree.

And it's not just about defending - it's about what full-backs can bring further up the field too. That's the biggest mystery for Gérard with me - the move away from the Babbel-like full-back of 2000-01, one with licence to move forward, towards the more defenisve-minded full-backs we see today.

Semmy's run against Southampton was everything that Liverpool should and can embody. He's local, he's good, he cost nothing - don't lose him!!! We don't want another Ste Wright scenario, do we?

Finnan provided the ball for Cheyrou to score last week!

If Finnan's final touches were better Sat, he would been man-of-the-match. And we may have won 5-1. I think he'll come around though. Hope Kirky gets back soon, Jerzy is a bit dodgy. Remember Jerzy, it's always better to get two hands on the ball and parry it away then going for the flashy camera save. Well done on Shearer, though.

Guest danhaddad

I have no gripe with Houllier picking Finnan over Semmy (although Finnan has yet to impress me so far.) Finnan now needs a run of games so he can establish himself in the team, and settle down. Then we can judge if he is right for the RB berth. His crossing needs to be better.

What does concern, and damn right piss me off is the use of Steph or Igor at RB ahead of Semmy. The lad is class. He needs to know he is appreciated by the club, as he has a decision to make as he is coming to a stage where he needs to be playing 1st team football to develop. johnb talks of THAT RUN, i would rather say THOSE RUNS, as its not an isolated incedent with Semmy.

At least we have Carra back at LB and we can forget about JAR for a while.........hopefully!!;)

Would that be the same Ste Wright that we sold for £3m and who is now playing First Division football? If it is then we certainly do want another Ste Wright scenario.

Fucking hell, you lot get on to me about forgetting GH's achievements, yet you're quite happy to piss on almost every player he sold: "Jari's done nothing at Ajax", "Anelka's kicking up at City", "we got rid of little Thommo because he was a trouble-maker".

Ste Wright? Well, considering GH told him that he was getting rid because he though Xavier was a better player, I don't think it's that good a piece of business.

He could still be in the first team here - forgotten OT 01-02 very quickly, haven't we? Ste Wright was fucking ace that night - a lot like Semmy. Getting foward at every opportunity, looking defensively sound and this from ANOTHER Academy product. Yet he's shown the door. As I imagine Semmy will be.

Carra, Stevie, Michael - all local products, the first three names on the teamsheet. Ste Wright and Semmy could be competing for that right-back slot now. I was on my feet that day against Sothampton after that run he went on. That's what I want to see more of. And I think Semmy fully deserves a run in the team.

I'm not having a go at Finnan for the sake of it, just like I wasn't having a go at Jerzy a few weeks back when I said I thought Kirky should replace him - it just seemed to me the natural choice to pick a better player.

John,

If Wright was any good at Sunderland then somebody would have made a bid by now.

Not talking about Sunderland Dave - talking about Liverpool and I think he could have been a star for us, as could Semmy. Just like to see them given a chance, that's all. Even Mellor - who I know you don't rate and that's fair enough - well, I would have preferred him to Heskey this season. Wouldn't you?

John you're coming across as the apologista of the Academy ;) next thing you'll be explaining away our awful record in the youth cup as not mattering as we've always done poorly in it for instance ...

I like Semmy a lot - his enthusiasm and attacking play impressed a lot in his brief introduction. Defensively I'm not so sure. However what bugs me most is I think you're doing Finnan a massive disservice and I can't see why.

Come on this lad has been voted the best right back in the league when at Fulham by his fellow professionals. This is not some foreign mercenary. He's good defensively, has an eye for the right pass, links up well coming forward and looks a balanced footballer. He has also got experience. To throw all that away on the basis of Semmy's brief introduction is illogical in the extreme (as illogical as Houllier playing Diao playing right back).

JB - what is your problem with Finan ?????? this isn't just about semmy ...even when we signed him you were moaning about him .Did he shag yer bird in Waterford CIt or sumthin ?????

In all fairness , Semmy is a good prospect and will be valuable cover but on the basis of the 1.5 games you've seen ,your talent spotting skills assure us that he should oust a class FULL INTERNATIONAL???? bollocks !!!

and really classy of ye to get a dig in on the lad on his first game back too

Gav, Rushian,

Do you think Semmy would weaken us?

Why has he been discarded completely by GH - especially after the performances he gave?

Do you not fear losing another local player because he can't even get on the bench? While the likes of Diao who cost £4m and has done nothing keep him out of the squad?

Semmy only got in because of all the injuries we had - not through any wish on GH's part to bring Acdemny players through. That's what bugs me.

One more thing - don't you think the Finnan money could have been better deployed this summer? I do.

Even if Semmy was the best full back in the country,I'd still say we needed to buy Finnan last Summer as our desperation to cover the RB position this season has proven.

I've liked the look of Finnan so far - nothing spectacular but steady in defence and quite effective going forward.I think there's lots better to come.

I hope Semmy continues to improve and gets his chance again but for the moment I think Finnan looks a lot better bet.

Not weaken us but he isn't improoving on Finan either - isn't tyhat your gripe ??? that whats been bought isn't better than whats here -now we have a case of the opposite (IYO)

Why has he been discarded completely by GH - especially after the performances he gave?

What has Diao got to do with it ??? your rant was at stevie finans "apparent " incapabilities and inferiority to a lad barely shaving

Semmy only got in because of all the injuries we had - so it should be , isn't that how most young lads used come thru into any team - get a chance, take the chance ,unless they are of Mike or Stevie class .. oh yaeh thats how they gotv in as well wasn't it :>)

One more thing - don't you think the Finnan money could have been better deployed this summer?

No ,think it was yet another piece of top class business by the management- the biggest gripes from you and others last year was Carra not passing and not crossing the halfway line - so what does GH do , goes out and buys the best one in the league ( as voted by his peers) and now its used as a stick yet again cos some young lad has played 2 games is not in instead of him ... fcuks sake John , record, tune , change

still reckoned he shagged a bird of yours in waterford :>)

Not weaken us but he isn't improoving on Finan either - isn't tyhat your gripe ??? that whats been bought isn't better than whats here -now we have a case of the opposite (IYO)

What has Diao got to do with it ??? your rant was at stevie finans "apparent " incapabilities and inferiority to a lad barely shaving

Semmy only got in because of all the injuries we had - so it should be , isn't that how most young lads used come thru into any team - get a chance, take the chance ,unless they are of Mike or Stevie class .. oh yaeh thats how they gotv in as well wasn't it :>)

One more thing - don't you think the Finnan money could have been better deployed this summer?

No ,think it was yet another piece of top class business by the management- the biggest gripes from you and others last year was Carra not passing and not crossing the halfway line - so what does GH do , goes out and buys the best one in the league ( as voted by his peers) and now its used as a stick yet again cos some young lad has played 2 games is not in instead of him ... fcuks sake John , record, tune , change

still reckoned he shagged a bird of yours in waterford :>)

Not sure on the last point, but anything is possible. ;)

Think he gives a huge amonut going forward Gav, that's all. And I think he does it better than SF. Maybe right-midfield with SF behind then?

You say about players "taking their opportunity" - surely that's what Semmy did? But it hasn't been rewarded with an extended run for reasons that escape me. He is good enough.

He may be good enough - Finnan is good enough and has proved it in well over a hundred games.

John, throwing it back at you, do you think Finnan weakens us?

As for the money being spent better elsewhere I think the two positions every Red agreed that we were desperate to bolster were left wing and right back. We did a poll on RAWK and had something like 500 replies and they were the clear winners. As it was we did fantastic business to get the two we did for 8m.

Where do you think the 3m would have been spent better? And you have to remember last season no one was holding out much hope for Semmy - many of us rely on DaveU's and AndyLiverweb's reserve reports, they're the eyes and ears we trust and it has to be said Semmy was never the one screaming from the fanzine pages/website as a certainty to break through or winning MotM after MotM in the reserves so I can't see how the money could have been utilised elsewhere.

OK, I'd just typed a really long post here about how academy players are favoured by fans to players having been signed and it's disappeared because I must have hit a wrong button. I'll be damned if I'm going to type it all again though.

Steven Wright was sold for £3m and although it baffled me at the time, I think it has now been justified by the fact that no one is really noticing how he's doing anymore. If say he's an average player at Sunderland (haven't seen him play for them in ages tbh), then why would he have been more than that here?

On the Finnan/Otsemobor issue, I think it's strange that Otsemobor has been dropped from the squad completely because he hasn't done much wrong. On the other hand, I think Houllier has now got to try and get a settled XI playing for a run of games (to try and save his job) and I can't really see anything wrong with going for an experienced full international rather than a (still) untested youngster. I do hope Otsemobor gets his chance if Finnan is injured or otherwise unavailable, instead of seeing Biscan/Diao/Henchoz play there, but knowing Houllier that is probably unlikely. That's a shame, but picking Finnan is no crime.

Otsemobor has played a few games now and hopefully has got a taste for it and let's hope that'll help make him a hungrier player when he gets his next chance (if he gets his next chance) to prove his worth.

To be honest, I think the case for Welsh to be included in the squad on a regular basis is stronger than for Otsemobor at the moment.

Fuck it, now I went and typed it anyway.:yes:

Think he gives a huge amount going forward Gav, that's all. And I think he does it better than SF. Maybe right-midfield with SF behind then-

might do , but think Cheyrou needs a run of games to show what got him in the French team -you can see what a goal can do for a lads confidnce and with afew more games we can see what we haven't had the chance to yet .

He is a great prospect I agree with that and I think he can provide good cover (as well as push) for finan - He is a improovment to the squad (another antagonista gripe:>) ) as long as the likes of diao don't get in ahead of him that is

You say about players "taking their opportunity" - surely that's what Semmy did? But it hasn't been rewarded with an extended run for reasons that escape me. - yes he took his opertunity, showed that when push comes to shove that he can step up the grade - still didn't see enough in those 2 games to displace finan (or Cheyrou ) tho