You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alan Shearer in, The Fraud out?

Paul

I was told today (by a very credible source) that we were within five minutes of signing Alan Shearer on Friday. He didn't know why it had fallen through but it was extremely close to happening. He would be a great signing for us, both on the pitch and in the dressing room.

Whatever happens, it looks as if The Fraud might have "played" his last game for us. We are clearly looking for quality strikers with this and the Tristan link. I just hope the Fulham rumours about him are true, as I'd get rid even without a replacement lined up. He's a disgrace and should never play for us again

I can't believe this will happen unless Owen leaves. Owen and Cisse will be on a fortune in wages and so would Shearer. One of them would be on the bench every week, financially that would be madness. Why would Shearer uproot his family to come here for a season or two?

Valid points, Hermes, and I don't know the ins and outs of the deal. However, he may still have a house in Blackburn and he certainly knows he can play with Michael. Whatever the details, the person who told me is in a position to know.

I agree with Paul. It is nice to have something positive to talk about for once. Shearer is indeed still awesome and I think can play with Owen and play very well. Shearer has tons more balls about him than our current sugarlump fairy. I can't see him coming in the summer though if Cisse does arrive. It would be hard enough to keep four top quality strikers happy never mind five, plus it will definately rule out any chance of any academy people ever getting a look-in at Liverpool.

I agree with Paul. It is nice to have something positive to talk about for once. Shearer is indeed still awesome and I think can play with Owen and play very well. Shearer has tons more balls about him than our current sugarlump fairy. I can't see him coming in the summer though if Cisse does arrive. It would be hard enough to keep four top quality strikers happy never mind five, plus it will definately rule out any chance of any academy people ever getting a look-in at Liverpool.

Such as who? All this "the academy lads never get a chance" is crap. Name one who has left and the club has regretted it. The is Liverpool Football Club we're talking about, a squad with in excess of 20 internationals. The club does not exist to give young hopefuls a game in the Premiership. If they're good enough they will play, if not they won't. Mellor has struggled to get a game with a mediocre First Division team, should he be playing for Liverpool?

Paul - this is exactly the same info as a lad I know who runs ynwa.tv posted on their forums on Saturday night after he got back from the game:

http://ynwa.org/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=959603441&f=736608741&m=6086035155

Major Major story told today:

"This week Alan Shearer was about to sign a 2 year contract with us. It was stopped almost as he was about to sign by the Newcastle board when Cort was off to Wolves.

Source: Someone who works for the club.

Shearer is pished off with the way the club is run and with the way the news kids on the block handle themselves outside. ie Dyer, Ambrose, Jenus, Bellamy, Bramble etc. They are worse than our spice boys apparently.

Cannot confirm this with anyone else at the moment and will not be able to for a few days, if we do get confirmation it'll be on our front page quick sharpish. Until that happens, you heard it hear first"

Guest Original202

Shearer is a class act, even at 34 or whatever he is.

One of those players who you just have to respect.

Could Neil Mellor not be a Shearer type player though...

Vivaldo, the reason I haven't named the person who told me is so he doesn't lose his job. He's in a position to know and I believe him. You don't have to.

As to why they'd let him go: they want a younger version (in their opinion)while he's on the market. Hence their interest in Smith and Gudjonsen. They need to clear Shearer's wages off the books to free up some cash for new players.

Shearer's been coming out with all this stuff about how great Owen is lately hasn't he. Make's you think.

I've no idea if there's any truth in this, but I really hope so. With Michael's injury record, he would be just perfect to have around, a guaranteed 20 goals a year. He's got more bottle, graft, goals and honesty in his little finger than Heskey could ever dream about.

Well I don't believe...... we'll wait and see 3 days left till the deadline. I would love to see him play for us but just can not see him leaving his boyhood club at this stage of his career.....but I do find it really hard to believe that people who have positions that are 'sackable' would be aware of this type of information and would risk there livelyhood to present it to others but hey what do I know its not presented to me lol

I'd be very surprised if he came as he is clearly a huge NUFC fan. Greatest Premiership striker I have seen and a couple years ago I though he was past it, but after giving up International scene has come back stronger. Maybe some type of swap if H#sk#y?! I'd love Shearer here. With MO, Cisse and Shearer (then Baros and FSP as reserves or on the bench) the options are awesome and you could easily rotate without losing ANY striking quality. Of course there's maybe only one season left in him, but we'd get experience, goals and the McAllister effect while Baros regains full fitness and more experience and FSP does like wise. It would be a great signing, but I am not optimistic. Still stranger things have happened....