You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gascoigne-Arrested....again

Antynwa

Paul Gascoigne arrested at Darlington hotel

Gascoigne and the second man had been arrested the previous night

Former England star Paul Gascoigne was arrested for the second time in two days after a disturbance at a hotel.

The ex-footballer, 42, was taken into custody along with another man by police called to the Blackwell Grange Hotel in Darlington on Monday night.

He was later released without charge after being questioned on suspicion of a public order offence.

The men had been arrested the previous night on suspicion of being drunk in charge of a vehicle in North Yorkshire.

They were released on bail on Monday evening over the incident at a takeaway in Leeming Bar.

But they were soon back in custody after staff at the Darlington hotel called police.

Gascoigne was freed without further action, but the second man, aged 40, was given a fixed penalty notice.

The former Newcastle and Tottenham midfielder has faced a long battle with alcohol and drugs, and was detained three times under the Mental Health Act in 2008.

He told BBC Radio 5 live's Victoria Derbyshire last year he had been clean of drink and drugs for four months, and had attended Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

BBC News - Paul Gascoigne arrested at Darlington hotel

He is just completely ruined

Every time I hear his name mentioned or see it posted I'm thinking "He's got to be dead" such a train wreck, such a talent, such a shame.

I remember aaaaaages ago on the front of the star it said "Gazza is Dead" so i scooped it up as I was in a hurry, caught my train (just) and read the article "The Paul Gascoigne of old is dead, according to his daughter" I was like FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU----

He's never got rid of his mates from when he was a kid. Not that doing so should be encouraged in anyone as such, but they've had such a strong influence on a very easily-led character, and at times have been nothing but leeches. He never seems to have developed as an adult, and his headstrong nature has been taken advantage of. This does not mean he's entirely blameless for his predicament.

gonna end in tears this,you have to feel for anyone in that state because its obviously not a life they would prefer to live.

hes not blameless in this whole mess either but theres an awful lot of people who helped contribute,including so called mates and managers who sat by and watched it happen just because he had a special talent.

He was my hero as a lad. So sad to see him where he is now though. I do put alot of the blame on the FA as well. Surely they are a governing body that has the health and safety of its proffessionals at the for front of the achievements. Well they have well and truly missed the mark with him

It must be murder for people like Beardsley, who take the poor sod in and then see him go off again. Part of them must want to wash their hands of the whole thing after so long. The man's 42 and he's probably less in control of himself then a ten year old. Most hacks, alas, would be more excited by the prospect of his death than his recovery, so the media will continue to watch him slide over the abyss.

Its a vicious circle. He's obviously never been right in the head. He finished playing the game he loved. He got pissed. He missed the game he loved. He got pissed. Alcohol became the one thing that took his already unstable mind away from missing the game he loved. He got pissed.

And repeat.

I think its a bit of shame. I wouldn't want to see anyone go under. He's gone under and won't be too long before he's 6 feet under. Cue media frenzy.