You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard the Captain

RedBrian84

Just a point that hasn't really been mentioned yet after the Derby (and if it has, I apologise for wasting everybody's time may I burn in the deepest regions of hell for all eternity), and that was Gerrard's performance not only as a player, but as the captain.

Far too often we see him taking a back seat with contentious issues, or situations involving his team mates that may get out of hand; I referring to instances like Mascherano at Old Trafford, where Gerrard was very reluctant to approach the ref, or calm his team mate down. Or indeed do anything. I seem to remember Aurelio playing the peacemaker, which says it all really.

However- on Saturday, not only was he well up for it, but Gerrard was every bit the team player, the inspirational captain. When it got heated with Kuyt and that over rated tool Fellaini, Gerrard was right in, pushing both Kuyt and the powder keg that is Mascherano away from the situation. He never shirked a tackle, and when he was clattered by Neville early on, he could have got up and made a scene but he just dusted himself down (ridding himself of any Neville germs) and got on with it.

He really impressed me with this side of his performance on Saturday. We have lacked real leadership at times, even with Carragher in the ranks, so it was great to see. He also helped Lucas throughout, enabling the Brazilian to play with more confidence and put in a great showing.

More of the same please, Stevie! Starting with the Arse on Weds.

Watch out Arsenal! Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard says his side are back in the mood for Champions League battle

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard feels Saturday's derby-day win over Everton will boost his side's chances of beating Arsenal and maintaining their Champions League status.

Dirk Kuyt's second-half goal handed Liverpool - who had Sotirious Kyrgiakos sent off in the first-half - an important 1-0 win over the Toffees which saw the Reds overtake Tottenham in the race for the final Champions League spot.

Rafa Benitez's men are now preparing themselves for another crunch clash against fellow top-four hopefuls Arsenal at the Emirates on Wednesday.

And Gerrard says the Reds now have the confidence to deepen the Gunners' recent woes.

He said: 'You always enjoy beating your local rivals but it was the way we did it that was really satisfying, particularly after losing a man after half an hour.

'I thought we showed fantastic character, a great attitude and I also thought we played some decent stuff at times. I thought it was a fully deserved win.

'You could see what it meant to everyone on the pitch at the end and it was the same again in the dressing room afterwards; everybody is still on a high.

'Now we have got to take that high into the next game. It’s a tough one, Arsenal away always is.

'But we have used beating Everton as a platform in the past and we’ve got to do it again. We want to extend our run and go on to better things.

'Everton have been on a good run and they are a fantastic side. We knew we would be under the cosh at times.

'But we showed fantastic togetherness, we fought for each other and there were a lot of tackles going in and that’s why I am really proud of this team.'

He added: 'We know there is a long way to go and we want to make sure we are in the top four at the end of the season.

'It’s performances like this that will get you in there. We have got to try and keep this run going, as we can’t afford any slip-ups. There is pressure coming from Tottenham, Manchester City and Aston Villa.

'There are a couple of very tough games coming up but if we can show what we have done in the last six games, I don’t see why we can’t maintain it.'

Agree completely on Gerrard. I actually think the captaincy role is a bit overrated - some players are leaders whether have an armband on or not, Carragher being a case in point.

Having said that, Gerrard's performance was exemplary and, at a point in the game where it would not have taken much for things to seriously out of hand, he made it is his priority to take control of the situation and keep his team mates away from aggro.

That is what you want from your senior players, whether or not they are captain of the team.

Tell you what, those people who were ridiculing Carra a few weeks ago look like fools now. As usual.

To be fair like every player this season he has been poor. However he has been back on the form wagon for the past 6 or 7 games.

I also agree with Brian's post, I've been more than critical of Gerrard the captain and I was certainly impressed with how he went about his business on Saturday. Consistency is the key now.

Yep.

That tackle on Pienaar after 10 seconds was BOSS

And the one by the Kop where he won a corner even though the ball was an optional extra.

He set the tone for our gutsy display, just like he done against the mancs with his tackle on Carrick.

To be fair like every player this season he has been poor. However he has been back on the form wagon for the past 6 or 7 games.

I also agree with Brian's post, I've been more than critical of Gerrard the captain and I was certainly impressed with how he went about his business on Saturday. Consistency is the key now.

Carragher has probably been our most consistent player all season actually.

Considering he's played alongside just about everyone but me this season, I think he's done extraordinarily well.

Tell you what, those people who were ridiculing Carra a few weeks ago look like fools now. As usual.

Ridiculing him? Or just pointing out that he wasn't playing very well at all. Carra started playing better when The Greek came into the team. I don't know why, probably just coincidence, but that's when his form picked up.

No he hasn't or are you on one of your wind ups again Tom?

Considering he has been swapping positions regularly and playing alongside 3 different centre halves i think he has performed admirably too.

He had a dip in form but recovered from it, as all top players do.

Carragher has probably been our most consistent player all season actually.

Considering he's played alongside just about everyone but me this season, I think he's done extraordinarily well.

He's been our most consistent player since Johnson stopped playing the game we bought him for you mean.