You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

ENGLISH FOOTBALL IS WALKING FINANCIAL TIGHTROPE SAYS INFAMOUS TRADER NICK LEESON

Guest simon

ENGLISH FOOTBALL IS WALKING FINANCIAL TIGHTROPE SAYS INFAMOUS TRADER NICK LEESON

Thaksin Shinawatra, the deposed prime minister of Thailand whose human rights record was questioned by Amnesty International, was somehow allowed to take ownership of Manchester City in 2007, a subterranean low-point for those charged with maintaining the Premier League's global reputation.

The disturbing financial situations of Manchester United, Liverpool and, most perilously, Portsmouth have led to questions over the morals, if not the integrity, of the owners of each of those clubs.

Related ArticlesPortsmouth takeover: timelineFulham 1 Portsmouth 0Avram Grant: Premier League boss's brothel visitGrant unhappy over broken promisesGrant set to quit PortsmouthPortsmouth gain owner number fourBut with recent figures suggesting that the combined debt of the Premier League's 20 clubs now exceeds £3.1bn, few of the chief executives and owners in charge of English football's elite operations could sit through a screening of the movie 'Rogue Trader' without seeing themselves in Ewan McGregor's portrayal of the subject of the film, Nick Leeson.

Yet Leeson, who earned notoriety - and a six-and-a-half year prison sentence - as a result of his gambling on the futures' market which caused the 233-year-old investment bank, Barings, to collapse with $1.3bn of liabilities in 1995, is witnessing the football's financial meltdown from within as chief executive of League of Ireland Premier Division club, Galway United.

Leeson's 'previous' would ensure his inability to pass the Premier League's 'Fit and Proper Person' test, but as the personification of a financial poacher-turned-gamekeeper, he fears that English football is walking headlong into a Barings-style collapse, with even Manchester City, the club he has supported since childhood, providing cause for concern.

Leeson said: 'I do fear for some of the clubs in the Premier League and I would be would be surprised if Portsmouth get out of the situation they are in at the moment.

'Manchester United, under the Glazers, are obviously in a really difficult position with their debt, but United's identity will always be their saving grace.

'Somebody will always come to the rescue of clubs like United or Liverpool, but those down at the other end don't have that global identity to save them.

'Clubs cannot continue to operate with such debts. The only way to stem the losses is to cut the wage bills, but that is very difficult when you have players on four and five-year contracts.

'Even City must be careful, despite the backing they receive from Sheikh Mansour. His money has placed City into a different realm to everybody else and, although he has recently written off his loans and made them debt-free, how could the club service its wage bill if the sheikh pulled out?

'I remember the days of former chairman Peter Swales when City overspent on fees and wages. It took the club 10 years to recover.'

While Abu Dhabi's petrodollars continue to fund their ambitions, City appear immune from the cashflow problems affecting many of their rivals.

Across Manchester, United are straining under the heavy burden of their £716.5m debt, and Leeson admits that the club's recent bond issue to raise £500m should set alarm bells ringing.

He said: 'We dealt with bonds at Barings in Singapore and they are all well-and-good for raising funds, but they are really only a measure that forestalls the inevitable.

'Virtually everything that United generate goes towards servicing the interest on the debt and the situation they are now in is no surprise based on the Glazers' business plan.

'There was something fishy about it right from the start and all they have done is raised even more debt. They aren't dyed in the wool United supporters, so what is their motivation?

'If the fans stop buying season tickets and the income streams begin to slow, then the Glazers will have to go back to basics and look at their wage structure, but that will not be easy.'

Leeson, whose marriage to the County Meath-born Leona, his second wife, prompted his move to Ireland, has been running Galway's affairs from his basic office at Terryland Park since 2006.

With Ireland's once-vibrant 'Celtic Tiger' economy on its knees, he admits that Irish football is suffering as a result - a possible early warning for those clubs on this side of the Irish Sea.

He said: 'Some clubs in this division are paying wages of £3,000-a-week which is ridiculous. Our top earner last year earned £700-a-week and I will have to reduce that this year out of necessity.

'Galway is an affluent city, but the property boom has bust and there is no money around.

'Would I want to work in English football? My name works for me and against me, but I am enjoying my lifestyle in Ireland and, although it is an uphill struggle, it is one we can overcome.'

And similar things have been said almost ad nauseum for the past 10 years,how Leeson's opinion is news is beyond me.He'd got some friggin kite on him. Celebrity failed-financial-speculators? That just about takes it as the nadir of this monetarist-driven farce known as free market economics.

He's rolling out the big guns in terms of insight and prognosis-first rate arsehole

I met Nick Leeson a few years ago when he came into my Internet Cafe in Chester. I believe he had been doing some after dinner speaking somewhere on how he foofed up the economy.

Anyway, although perfectly pleasant, he was clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic - genuinely mental and just looked plain lost. Mind you, you would be after what he'd been through!

I'd ignore anything he has to say or at least take with a large shovel of salt.

I met Nick Leeson a few years ago when he came into my Internet Cafe in Chester. I believe he had been doing some after dinner speaking somewhere on how he foofed up the economy.

Anyway, although perfectly pleasant, he was clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic - genuinely mental and just looked plain lost. Mind you, you would be after what he'd been through!

I'd ignore anything he has to say or at least take with a large shovel of salt.

The biggest giveaway he's lost the plot was cos he was till wearing this blazer when he walked in.

nickleeson_468x337.jpg

English football is walking financial tightrope says infamous trader Nick Leeson

Thaksin Shinawatra, the deposed prime minister of Thailand whose human rights record was questioned by Amnesty International, was somehow allowed to take ownership of Manchester City in 2007, a subterranean low-point for those charged with maintaining the Premier League's global reputation. The disturbing financial situations of Manchester United, Liverpool and, most perilously, Portsmouth have led to questions over the morals, if not the integrity, of the owners of each of those clubs.

<snipped - Avi Grant is dirty bastard, visits brothels, screws whores etc>

But with recent figures suggesting that the combined debt of the Premier League's 20 clubs now exceeds £3.1bn, few of the chief executives and owners in charge of English football's elite operations could sit through a screening of the movie 'Rogue Trader' without seeing themselves in Ewan McGregor's portrayal of the subject of the film, Nick Leeson.

Yet Leeson, who earned notoriety - and a six-and-a-half year prison sentence - as a result of his gambling on the futures' market which caused the 233-year-old investment bank, Barings, to collapse with $1.3bn of liabilities in 1995, is witnessing the football's financial meltdown from within as chief executive of League of Ireland Premier Division club, Galway United.

Leeson's 'previous' would ensure his inability to pass the Premier League's 'Fit and Proper Person' test, but as the personification of a financial poacher-turned-gamekeeper, he fears that English football is walking headlong into a Barings-style collapse, with even Manchester City, the club he has supported since childhood, providing cause for concern.

Leeson said: 'I do fear for some of the clubs in the Premier League and I would be would be surprised if Portsmouth get out of the situation they are in at the moment.

'Manchester United, under the Glazers, are obviously in a really difficult position with their debt, but United's identity will always be their saving grace.

'Somebody will always come to the rescue of clubs like United or Liverpool, but those down at the other end don't have that global identity to save them.

'Clubs cannot continue to operate with such debts. The only way to stem the losses is to cut the wage bills, but that is very difficult when you have players on four and five-year contracts.

'Even City must be careful, despite the backing they receive from Sheikh Mansour. His money has placed City into a different realm to everybody else and, although he has recently written off his loans and made them debt-free, how could the club service its wage bill if the sheikh pulled out?

'I remember the days of former chairman Peter Swales when City overspent on fees and wages. It took the club 10 years to recover.'

While Abu Dhabi's petrodollars continue to fund their ambitions, City appear immune from the cashflow problems affecting many of their rivals. Across Manchester, United are straining under the heavy burden of their £716.5m debt, and Leeson admits that the club's recent bond issue to raise £500m should set alarm bells ringing.

He said: 'We dealt with bonds at Barings in Singapore and they are all well-and-good for raising funds, but they are really only a measure that forestalls the inevitable.

'Virtually everything that United generate goes towards servicing the interest on the debt and the situation they are now in is no surprise based on the Glazers' business plan.

'There was something fishy about it right from the start and all they have done is raised even more debt. They aren't dyed in the wool United supporters, so what is their motivation?

'If the fans stop buying season tickets and the income streams begin to slow, then the Glazers will have to go back to basics and look at their wage structure, but that will not be easy.'

Leeson, whose marriage to the County Meath-born Leona, his second wife, prompted his move to Ireland, has been running Galway's affairs from his basic office at Terryland Park since 2006.

With Ireland's once-vibrant 'Celtic Tiger' economy on its knees, he admits that Irish football is suffering as a result - a possible early warning for those clubs on this side of the Irish Sea.

He said: 'Some clubs in this division are paying wages of £3,000-a-week which is ridiculous. Our top earner last year earned £700-a-week and I will have to reduce that this year out of necessity.

'Galway is an affluent city, but the property boom has bust and there is no money around.

'Would I want to work in English football? My name works for me and against me, but I am enjoying my lifestyle in Ireland and, although it is an uphill struggle, it is one we can overcome.'

It was giving me a migraine.

Looking seriously at the debt carried by clubs, and the potential total prize money available to any one club in any one season, football is a friggin' joke, and the sooner the whole fuckin league goes broke and starts again, the better off we'll all be.

it'll be like the old days when Tommy Smith would go into Shankly's office and ask for a ten bob a week rise for the lads.

Nick Leeson is now married to a neighbour of mine. I have spoke to him on many occasions but never about the Barings collapse. I guess you could say its quite a taboo...

Get him wasted on cheap booze, then when he's staggering around cluelessly say to him "Careful Nick, looks like you've lost your Barings"

If that doesn't break the ice, nothing will