You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Riera: stay or go?

Jens

What´s the verdict on him?

EDIT: I tried to post a poll with this thread but fucked up.

1. Sell him, we could use the money to buy a better left winger.

2. Keep him, he brings something to the team and is good enough for us.

Edited by Jens

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When he can be bothered he looks a real player, it's just when he can't be arsed he really stinks the place out... You can normally tell within about 5 minutes what sort of mood he's going to be in....

Saying that, I'd still keep him as I defo think he brings something to the team, a bit of pace and energy.. He is not afraid to take a shot either.

When he can be bothered he looks a real player, it's just when he can't be arsed he really stinks the place out... You can normally tell within about 5 minutes what sort of mood he's going to be in....

Saying that, I'd still keep him as I defo think he brings something to the team, a bit of pace and energy.. He is not afraid to take a shot either.

Pace and energy, are we talking about the same riera? The guy has no pace and is always shattered after 60 mins. I'd keep him as a squad player because he gives us good balance on the left hand side. But we need better than him for the left hand side.

Sell him to pay debt or keep him as an option?

Of course, if we could sell him for £8m-10m, and add the same, we could buy a good winger, but where are we going to get the money?

And do you trust Rafa to get a better winger? He doesn't have a good history with wingers.

Sell him to pay debt or keep him as an option?

Of course, if we could sell him for £8m-10m, and add the same, we could buy a good winger, but where are we going to get the money?

And do you trust Rafa to get a better winger? He doesn't have a good history with wingers.

What GOOD wingers are out there that we can get for that price? Better to keep him.

I'd sell Babel, Riera and Kuyt in the summer.

The priority should be getting a top left sided winger.

Yea I'd agree. A lot of people would want to keep Kuyt for his work rate and he is a good worker, but if we are to get a top winger we need to spend big and use the money raised from this for it.

I'd sell Babel, Riera and Kuyt in the summer.

The priority should be getting a top left sided winger.

I would love to see a good left side winger at the club, as well as a right sided one, but selling those 3 to buy one player will make our squad even more wafer thin than it already is!!

Unfortunately

Riera I think is a good player, who can be a handfull on his best days, and he has the best delivery at the club, so I'd want to keep him...

Kuyt, Lucas and Babel on the other hand I would not mind to replace...... But we need to be able to use the proceeds of the sales, as well as get CL qualification in order to have any hope of replacing them with better options....

Negredo for Kuyt, Banega for Lucas and Elia/Turam/Quaresma(let the bashing commence :) for Babel.....

Now that would have been a great summer.....

Liverpool winger Albert Riera has claimed that he and fellow Spaniards Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina are committed to Anfield for the long term.

Given Liverpool's problems this season and the constant speculation over manager Rafa Benitez, there has been speculation that there would be a mass exodus from Anfield should the Reds fail to qualify for the Champions League.

Talking about the club's Spanish contingent, Riera has emphatically dismissed the rumours of discontent.

He said, "It isn't in the character of any of us to turn our backs and run somewhere else when times are tough.

"All of us would like to look back on our Liverpool career and say it was a success. It is clear how happy Pepe and Fernando are at the club and I have no doubt they will both be here for a very long time no matter what happens.

"They have both said to me that they want to make history with Liverpool and I share that ambition"

Talking about his own desire to stay, Riera added, "For me, if the club offered a five, six or seven year contract right now, I'd sign it with my eyes closed. Where else is there to go? Being anywhere else would be a step down. I have everything I need in Liverpool."

Pace and energy, are we talking about the same riera? The guy has no pace and is always shattered after 60 mins. I'd keep him as a squad player because he gives us good balance on the left hand side. But we need better than him for the left hand side.

pace and stamina are different things.

he has the former but you are spot on about the latter

At the moment he is in our first 11 and in my opinion is good enough to be in our first 11. He contributes significantly to our passing game, is composed on the ball and is intelligent with his passing. He obviously lacks pace and as other have said, his consistency leaves a lot to be desired, but a definite keep for me.

I would love to see a good left side winger at the club, as well as a right sided one, but selling those 3 to buy one player will make our squad even more wafer thin than it already is!!

I didn't say I would only bring in a left sided winger.

Those three players can all leave, not hinder our first team too much and raise a fair wedge between them. Babel, Kuyt and Riera is nearly £30 million raised. I'd like to see Joe Cole come on a free, he might cost lots in wages, but I think he could be great and just what we need in our attack.

I'd also consider selling Lucas, as I don't think he'd be happy being back up to Mascherano, which is what he should be.

Those three players can all leave, not hinder our first team too much and raise a fair wedge between them. Babel, Kuyt and Riera is nearly £30 million raised. I'd like to see Joe Cole come on a free, he might cost lots in wages, but I think he could be great and just what we need in our attack.

Even if it was £30M, which it wouldn't be, you'd have to use it to cover wages, new contracts for current players, payoff's for those leaving and transfer fees. All comes out of the player account now this stuff. That's assuming you even got to spend some or all of the £30M you wouldn't be able to raise by selling those 3 players. Debt won't pay itself.

Complicated shit this transfer business.

I liked him when we signed him - especially as the alternative was Downing - and I thought, on occasion, he looked the part last year. But something happened over the summer, and his attitude has stunk this year. I know he's had niggling injuries, but when he has played, he's looked disinterested and utterly uncommitted. So I'd sell.