You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Derby match Thread

Fowlers God

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reasonably confident about this one. Somebody said Everton are really playing well , but apart from the Citeh game I don't think they are , a bit like us they are just getting more of the breaks than earlier on in the season.

They will always set up defensively & invite us on , so I think we can afford just one sitter in midfield ( Masch ) & I would start as we did against Bolton.

I wouldn't play Aquilani in the Derby the challenges come in too fast for him and he would get torn apart. I'd play Lucas instead. I'd play The Greek for the set pieces then drop him for the Arsenal game. Got to play Kuyt up front rather than Ngog.

I wouldn't play Aquilani in the Derby the challenges come in too fast for him and he would get torn apart. I'd play Lucas instead. I'd play The Greek for the set pieces then drop him for the Arsenal game. Got to play Kuyt up front rather than Ngog.

The Arsenal game is deffo something Rafa will consider in his selection. On the basis that I don't think Aquilani will start both I'd rather have him starting at Arsenal then against these, and the same with N'gog.

The big Greek could miss out at Arsenal if Agger is back fit.

That line up would get battered!

Clearly unfit Kelly, agger and aurelio both fragile.

Aquilani must be dropped, at least Lucas will get stuck in and Babel should never wear red again the lazy twat

You must have missed the bit where I said, 'depending on fitness'.

all of those players have been injured for weeks and you want to throw them into a derby? seriously I worry about you sometimes Brownie, it's not going to happen in a million years and you know it

the back 4 will rightly be the same as the last 5 games where we've barely conceeded, the others can wait their chance

See my previous post.

On nights Friday night. Don't know if I can be arsed getting out of bed for this as the last two times I have, Stoke and Pompey, have been fucking abysmal.

And with it looking likely that Lucas and Mascherano will play together; I may just complaete the work I have left around the bed.

Rafael Benitez has urged Liverpool to show a more ruthless streak in the attacking third when they face Everton in the Merseyside derby on Saturday.

The Reds boss has been pleased by the gradual improvement his side has shown since the turn of the year and hopes they can build on the defensive meanness shown in a six-match unbeaten run, by recapturing the offensive prowess that saw them challenge for the title last term.

"You have to keep analysing the big picture," he said. "If every week you think it is one step forward then one step back, you will become very nervous.

"So it is important to keep a perspective and giving confidence to the players. We have just had another win (against Bolton) and another clean sheet. That is a positive.

"Okay, it wasn't as good in attack as we want it to be but we have to keep pushing and we know can improve. We need more positives than negatives.

"The players know that we are improving. We are doing much better in defence and that is a big difference but we have to improve in attack - that is clear."

What do the fans think ahead of the derby? Click here to find out>>

Despite a number of injuries to key defenders, Liverpool have kept five clean sheets since a 2-0 triumph over Wolves on Boxing Day.

The form of defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos has been one of the highlights of this improvment, but Benitez has also been keen to praise Jamie Carragher, who looks set to remain in an unfavoured right-back role for the clash with the Toffees.

"We know playing Carra on the right is more demanding than in the centre but he will always work hard for the team and is playing really well," said Benitez. "The priority at the minute is to fix the position at right back.

"We have got (Martin) Kelly coming back, (Philipp) Degen is improving and (Stephen) Darby has been with us. We are trying to manage. But the player with most experience is Carra. He, at this moment in time, is the best for the team."

On the injury front, the Reds received a boost with the return to action of Kelly and Nabil El Zhar in the reserves' Lancashire Senior Cup win on Monday, but Benitez believes it will still be a few weeks before he has Fernando Torres and Johnson back in his squad.

"Glen is still progressing," said Benitez. "It's looking like he will be back in another three or four weeks. When he was first ruled out, it looked like he would be out for two months. It has been a month so far. Fernando is progressing too. Hopefully he will be back in the same time, while Yossi (Benayoun) could return (from broken ribs) in two weeks."

I'm happy with those comments as it's good to see that Rafa knows where we need to improve.

Come on redmen, let's fuck these!

I'd drop Insua like a fucking stone. He's been utter dirge for most of this season and I know he isn't alone in that bracket but he's just been plain awful. He is slow, bulky, and his first touch (and usually his second) is shite. His positional sense is atrocious, as he seems to have no awareness whatsoever about where his marker is, even when the bastard is right in front of him. OK, he's alright going forward, but that's not enough. Where the fuck is Aurelio?? Pienaar may have a field day against Insua. I hope I'm wrong and he starts to improve, I liked what I saw last season and was one of his biggest fans. I hoope he's just having a poor run and maybe it can start to improve from here.

Reina

Carra

Skrtel

The Greek

Insua (if no other choice)

Maxi

Mascherano

Aquilani

Rieira

Gerrard

Dirk

I'd take a chance on Aquilani, because if he gets space he could do real damage to what isn't a great Everton defence. We'll need to get tight hold of that daft bastard Fellaini- he's the 'best midfielder in the Premiership', remember???? I think it'll be 3-0, with Gerrard stepping up with a few. and Dirk carrying on his run.

Bring it.

I reckon Rafa will go with this:

-----------Reina

Carra--Skrtel--Krygiakos--Insua

Maxi--Mascherano--Lucas--Riera

----------Gerrard

-----------Kuyt

I think he'll play that side but with N'Gog up front and Kuyt on the right. I thought N'Gog did really well leading the line against Bolton and we need at least a bit of pace to stretch Everton. If it's not working we can bring on Aquilani and Maxi for the last half-hour when the pace of the game is dropping off a bit.

I'd like to see:

--------------------------Reina-----------------------------

Carragher-------Skrtel--------------Greek-------------Aurelio

----------------Mascherano---------Gerrard-----------------

Maxi-----------------------Aquilani---------------------Riera

----------------------------Ngog----------------------------

We'll see Kuyt and Lucas in the starting XI though. Another example of Rafa focussing on stopping the opposition first and then focussing on us. When really we should be playing our best team to win the game and letting them worry about us.

What kind of mong would play Eggnog up front on his own and drop Kuyt?

Oh

I reckon Rafa will go with this:

-----------Reina

Carra--Skrtel--Krygiakos--Insua

Maxi--Mascherano--Lucas--Riera

----------Gerrard

-----------Kuyt

I'd pop Purple Aqui in there to play just in front of gerrard, and stick Lucas where he belongs.

Are the Biscuit Twins Aurelio and Agger injured still?

----------------------------Reina-------------------------

Carra------------mutant ninja--------Kyrgiakos-------Insua

------------------Lucas-----------Mascherano-----------

Gerrard-------------------Aquilani--------------------Riera

---------------------------Kuyt---------------------------