You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Greek

BexBissel

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A liability is something that is detrimental. I'd sa he's far from a liability and has proven to be something of an assett in recent games.

...being the key part of that post.

In recent games the opposition have played directly to his strengths.

I dread to think what would happen against Arsenal.

What stopped him from leaving for the couple of seasons before when he wasn't first team then? I think it was the Champions League squad debacle which made his mind up, pure and simple, although Sami is far too professional to ever say that.

I'd have to agree with that.

Although I read somewhere that he wanted a certain amount of 1st team games in his contract? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Why does there have to be a conspiracy behind everything? Maybe Sami was just telling the truth. It's the obvious answer.

How is it a conspiracy, and was he lying when he said he considered quitting when he was left out of the squad but the club had refused to sell him in January, and that he would consider his position at the end of the season?

How is it a conspiracy, and was he lying when he said he considered quitting when he was left out of the squad but the club had refused to sell him in January, and that he would consider his position at the end of the season?

The truth when he said "I'm leaving because I want regular football".

Why does there have to be a conspiracy behind everything? Maybe Sami was just telling the truth. It's the obvious answer.

You know as well as I do, that they will believe what they want, it's mass confirmation bias. When your argument doesn't adhere to scrutiny, make something up that is unlikely to be proved or disproved. See unintelligent design.

Why not see what Sami had said before about wanting to leave after being left out of the CL squad and deciding on his future at the club at the end of the season, instead of seeing some psychobabble claptrap?

Of course he will have considered leaving at being left out at that point, he felt he wasn't playing as much football as he wanted. He did get quite a bit of football after that, though. It doesn't necessarily follow that because he considered leaving in the past because of event A that when he leaves it was because of event A. That's really simplistic.

Of course he will have considered leaving at being left out at that point, he felt he wasn't playing as much football as he wanted. He did get quite a bit of football after that, though. It doesn't necessarily follow that because he considered leaving in the past because of event A that when he leaves it was because of event A. That's really simplistic.

I agree with the first part, he actually got a lot more football than the season before.

Makes it an idiotic assumption that it was only after the season where he felt undervalued that he left then?

I agree with the first part, he actually got a lot more football than the season before.

Makes it an idiotic assumption that it was only after the season where he felt undervalued that he left then?

I said simplistic, not idiotic, you idiot ;). Perhaps at the grand age of 35, nearly 36, he accepted that he would have to look elsewhere to get regular first team football. He might even believe that it was quite reasonable that he wasn't given assurances about the number of games he would play in. Sometimes something happens and, whilst you hope for a different outcome, you fullyaccept the situation and move on with your life.

Rafa left Sami out of the CL squad so Sami, to spite Benitez, left. Benitez's fault for leaving him out of the CL. It all seems a bit fantastical to me.

Or

Sami considered leaving after being left out of the CL, but then was given a lot more games,and put the CL incident behind him, but he then wanted further assurances about playing time. After not being given any, he decided to leave because his career was coming to an end. Fully accepting the manager's decision, he went elsewhere but didn't hold a grudge or blame the manager because he could fully understand the manager's decision, given his age.

That isn't what i said and you know it.

But he is a liability.

Tom, I don't go in for the game of twisting words to suit agendas. I do however ask people to explain more when they come out with quite strong opinions.

You said "He's a fucking liability" and then you said "He's still rubbish though." That's why I asked the questions I asked. You have very clearly said he is rubbish. There is no ambiguity there. You said "he's still rubbish". And so I asked you where you could come up with that given how well he has played.

Zigackly got it spot on for me when he said...

"Agree he is somewhat of a liability, but still think he's decent cover for the price, and the injuries have proved we've needed cover. Nowhere near a great signing, but not a bad one either."

Tom, you could learn from people like him of how to post without always wanting to reach for extremes every time. ;-)

The Greek is fine for fourth choice, and we've needed him as it's worked out and he's done well. Hopefully he'll dissappear back to the bench soon, but I don't mind him having to slot in.

I agree though that I'd never want him against Arsenal. We need Agger and Carra. However, we'll probably have Agger and Skrtel with Carra right back in a tight defence pushed in to fill the middle.

Tom, I don't go in for the game of twisting words to suit agendas. I do however ask people to explain more when they come out with quite strong opinions.

You said "He's a fucking liability" and then you said "He's still rubbish though." That's why I asked the questions I asked. You have very clearly said he is rubbish. There is no ambiguity there. You said "he's still rubbish". And so I asked you where you could come up with that given how well he has played.

Zigackly got it spot on for me when he said...

"Agree he is somewhat of a liability, but still think he's decent cover for the price, and the injuries have proved we've needed cover. Nowhere near a great signing, but not a bad one either."

Tom, you could learn from people like him of how to post without always wanting to reach for extremes every time. ;-)

The Greek is fine for fourth choice, and we've needed him as it's worked out and he's done well. Hopefully he'll dissappear back to the bench soon, but I don't mind him having to slot in.

I agree though that I'd never want him against Arsenal. We need Agger and Carra. However, we'll probably have Agger and Skrtel with Carra right back in a tight defence pushed in to fill the middle.

You don't get it do you. Tom's mind exists on the extremes. He don't get anything else.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
haha.

Not at all mate.

I'm just a realist.

I applaud him. he's done great. He's becoming a real cult player and I love his attitude.

he's definitley been our best player over the last month, no arguments, but let's get real here - that's only because a) pretty much everyone else has been abysmal and b) we've had lots of defending to do!

Abysmal is stretching it a bit somewhat, what are we now 17 pts out of the last 24?

Fair enough, it's not where we want to be, but abysmal?

And the only person who knows what was offered to Hyypia was Hyypia, his agent and the club.

Even then, I'd say it had alot more to do with potential gametime, as opposed to financial incentive

Sami was great for us, and we were great for Sami, and I really don't buy the fact it was over money, not with him.

Not saying we don't miss him, we obviously do, but assuming that Agger, Skrtel and Carra had been fit and anywhere near top form, would you have had the manager lie to him and leave him rotting on the bench

Hardly the way to treat a legend

Sami was already forced to the bench by Carra, Skrtel and Agger. Had those 3 been fit and on form this season then Sami would have only played in league cup and FA Cup games. He wanted to play regular football so he left for a weaker league and he is having an Indian summer and I'm delighted for him.

Only a few weeks back Sami went out of his way to speak about how good Rafa is.

Anyone trying to make it out to be anything else is been very disrespectfull to Sami. Please don't use a real legend like Sami Hyppia to score some banal points.

I have liked the Greek's commitment and passion. He has even netted a goal for us, so I'm enjoying his contribution. However, like others here, I didn't expect him to be on the side to face Arsenal. I don't think he's a liability, I just don't think he should be in the squad for a team like Arsenal. Agger, and I assume he is now fully fit, I feel is the better option.