You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Put Gerrard back on the right?

Hooch

I think we should put Gerrard back onto the right in the role he excelled in 05/06. Teams have sussed him out in his current 'in the hole role'. It gives him free reign to move about and hurt teams while Carra looks after the defensive duties at right back, at least for now while Glens still out.

Aqualani can come into the vacated role he prefers and will have the eye to find Steven too. Seeing as Lucas and Mascherano are undroppable fir Benitez, I think this formation might bear fruit in the form of some motherfucking goals.

Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, posted the same thing in the Bolton match thread. I still feel he can he do a great job playing just behind Torres, but while struggling for fitness and confidence he could benefit from being played out there, get a bit more space and freedom to roam. Play Aquilani behind the striker instead.

Tactically I wouldn't mind it. Realistically the last thing we need right now is the captain throwing his toys out of the pram.

I'd drop him back to centre mid for most games for the rest of the season. He's not involved enough in the games to really influence them at the moment.

I don't think he has been "sussed" but I wouldn't object to him being on the right for a bit.

Yes, sussed may be too strong a word, but I think a lot of teams can nullify a lot of what he can do by simply sticking a player with a bit of pace man marking him. I think Mancianne was deployed for this at Wolves. Obviously if Gerrard is blob on form (which he certainly isn't near right now) he can be unstoppable.

The guy can play any position, and when he's on song... he can play it better than most of the people who play that position naturally. However, right now he's struggling for fitness and playing poorly. He just needs games. I like the idea of slipping him back to the midfield next to Mascherano because it'll let him gain fitness, and get involved with his tackling, regardless of if he has an impact on the scoreline.