You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Torres' injury record starting to worry you?

Red Banjo

Every team is dependent on their key players but sadly in our case, they are always injured. SO this means we cant perform at our full capacity everytime. Cant blame anyone for this but until this changes or we have a miracle season where everyone stays fit, we are gonna have to wait for the title for a long time to come.

See everyone blames his continuous cycle of matches but David Villa, Andres Iniesta, David Silva, Sergio Ramos, Carles Puyol, Xabi Alonso, etc etc dont seem to suffer the same misfortune with injuries as our Fernando. I await correction from Code or another statician as to how many games the aforementioned players have missed - but the point remains, pretty much all of the Spain squad have had the same schedule as Torres and they dont seem to miss that much club football - although Mr Fabregas seems to be seceptible to the odd injury also.

I've never been fearful of a player more than i am with Torres. I feel like his mum sometimes - if a player goes in hard on him, i find myself wincing at the TV until he gets back to his feet and i know he's ok. Im sure 90% of you are exactly the same.

Which leads me nicely to my next point.

I think the treatment Torres gets off some of the shithouse defenders sometimes is nothing less than scandalous. Its seemed to me for a while that since the Premier league got used to the way he plays, some defenders are sent out by their managers with a 'stop Torres at all costs' attitude. I've lost count of the amount of times he's been fouled and gets nothing for it. He's ofcourse his own worst enemy sometimes as he's been known to make a meal of a challenge from time to time, but referee's dont seem to give him any protection, or the benefit of the doubt sometimes. Imagine if Rooney was to get the 'rough justice' Torres seems to get on an almost weekly basis. He'd be at the ref more than he is already, with his mate Rio backing him up.

Imagine if Rooney was to get the 'rough justice' Torres seems to get on an almost weekly basis. He'd be at the ref more than he is already, with his mate Rio backing him up.

True that.

It's got to the stage where I'm just expecting him to play 3 of 4 games and get injured. Frustrating as Fuck but wouldn't swap him for anyone. Especially shrek.

If we had him and Stevie fit for a whole season we'd be such a threat. The potential of that team is huge, just needs the right nudges and a bit of luck.

I personally think its something to do with the weather.

Look at all the teams in the top flight nearby. Ourselves, the bitters. Newcastle. Even the scum. The only difference is that old Red nose has the ability to pull out his players from internationals without punishment from the FAs, hence less injuries than us.

Both Gerrard and Torres were injured while training for, or playing with their national teams. I remember Rooney being pulled out, while Gerrard was forced (or chose) to stay on when supposedly injured. Gerrard couldn't play for us that weekend, Rooney could. Coincidence?

Which leads me nicely to my next point.

I think the treatment Torres gets off some of the shithouse defenders sometimes is nothing less than scandalous. Its seemed to me for a while that since the Premier league got used to the way he plays, some defenders are sent out by their managers with a 'stop Torres at all costs' attitude. I've lost count of the amount of times he's been fouled and gets nothing for it. He's ofcourse his own worst enemy sometimes as he's been known to make a meal of a challenge from time to time, but referee's dont seem to give him any protection, or the benefit of the doubt sometimes. Imagine if Rooney was to get the 'rough justice' Torres seems to get on an almost weekly basis. He'd be at the ref more than he is already, with his mate Rio backing him up.

Which is why I think that Torres should be partnered with the best battering ram there is, Kevin Davies. I know many don't fancy him. But as a shit house battering ram, arial threat etc, there is none better.

Let him bang about the defenders, take the hits, while Torres does what he does best

Kevin Davies?! Muhahahahahahahaha!

I see your point mate, although its a bad example.

With a partner upfront, Torres would only recieve 50% of the battering's he currently gets - which would surely mean he'd play in many more games.

Still we know that the Gaffer wont be changing his formation too often so unless there's a change at the top - i cant see a two man front line happening very often

See everyone blames his continuous cycle of matches but David Villa, Andres Iniesta, David Silva, Sergio Ramos, Carles Puyol, Xabi Alonso, etc etc dont seem to suffer the same misfortune with injuries as our Fernando. I await correction from Code or another statician as to how many games the aforementioned players have missed

Not sure about the rest, but Xabi had a few problems here, and Silva spends lengthy time out now and then.

And you're still wrong.

As for the effectiveness, didn't he just set a record? Thought so.

Yes, for the quickest Liverpool players to 50 league goals - In nearly 3 seasons. If it takes him 3 more seasons for the next 50 because he's constantly injured what use it that?

He won't play again until March, plenty of players have matched his record over 3 seasons.

Not what you said though.

Given after the Villa game he could have played a maximum of 96 league games, to get 50 is a very good return.

If it takes him another 96 league games from them to the get to 100 then even if he only plays 2/3's of them we've got a great return when fit.

A good back up to him and we are sorted.

I know Torres played quite a few games in his teens for Athletico. I don't know if there is any coincidence with players who play a lot in their teens at the highest level, ie Torres, Fabregas, Messi etc being more likely to pick up injuries. This could be due to putting their body under extra physical strains whilst still developing.

However if they don't play at that age their development seems to be stunted and we probably wouldn't have the nando we have today.

If we got a silly offer of £100M for Torres from Man Citeh I'd have mixed feelings. If we were guaranteed to spend it on the side, and if possible we could line up our targets and do the deals before the Nando windfall was public, then I would be tempted.

Villa, Aguero and Silva would soften the blow.