You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Torres' injury record starting to worry you?

Red Banjo

Been thinking about this for a while now and it makes for pretty grim reading.

The Sexy one himself never really had any injury concerns during his time in Spain, so why has he had such a stop start few seaons over here - is the game that much more physical?

In 07/08 we played 58 times, Torres played 45 of those, missing 13

In 08/09 we played 55 times, Torres played 38 of those, missing 17

This year we have played 33 times, Torres played in 20, and has missed 13

So in his career so far - we have played 146 games, Fernando has featured in 103, but has missed an alarming 43 games.

Of those 103 games i haven't counted substitute appearance's, or taken into account when he's been withdrawn early due to injury or when he's played half fit - im willing to bet there's a considerable amount of those too.

Essentially for every 2 games Torres plays, he misses 1. And without turning this into another bash against Rafa (we dont need another thread on that) - clearly we miss him when he's not on the pitch.

Is he already or close to becomming classed as 'injury prone'?

i think many of his injuries stem from fatigue. He's an all action player, and with league, cup and european games at home, combined with a tournament every summer of some kind, it's no wonder he keeps breaking down.

If it was up to me there's no way on earth he'd be going to the world cup this summer.

Then again, if it was up to me there'd be no world cup anyway!

A lot of it is to do with the fact that he's not had a break since the summer of 2007, when he first joined. The Euros, then the Confederations Cup and the World Cup coming up - get used to him not being fully fit. He needs two or three months off football, basically, to allow everything to heal.

As much as Ngog's improved a lot this year and Kuyt's a trier, we'd cope a lot better if we had a proper replacement. Maybe that's why Rafa's trying to sign two strikers for the summer.

There is no way he should have been allowed play in the Confederations Cup last summer either, whatever about the Euros and World Cup.

We've undoubtedly rushed him back out of necessity on occasion which hasn't helped either.

Another quality striker would allow us to rest when playing our current formation or throw two up front against some opposition.

He's injury prone though, no doubt about it.

Any names?

Chamakh and Jovanovic. Although everyone seems to have written both off, on the grounds that the former doesn't score enough goals, apparently, and the other one is suspected of being in Arkan's notorious Delije terror brigades during the Bosnian war.

Not really on that last bit, though. Regardless, you can tell he's noticed that young Nando may miss a few games next season, too, unless he's going to bow to the demands of TLW and field a bold 3-3-4 formation next season.

Been thinking about this for a while now and it makes for pretty grim reading.

The Sexy one himself never really had any injury concerns during his time in Spain, so why has he had such a stop start few seaons over here - is the game that much more physical?

In 07/08 we played 58 times, Torres played 45 of those, missing 13

In 08/09 we played 55 times, Torres played 38 of those, missing 17

This year we have played 33 times, Torres played in 20, and has missed 13

So in his career so far - we have played 146 games, Fernando has featured in 103, but has missed an alarming 43 games.

Of those 103 games i haven't counted substitute appearance's, or taken into account when he's been withdrawn early due to injury or when he's played half fit - im willing to bet there's a considerable amount of those too.

Essentially for every 2 games Torres plays, he misses 1. And without turning this into another bash against Rafa (we dont need another thread on that) - clearly we miss him when he's not on the pitch.

Is he already or close to becomming classed as 'injury prone'?

How do those figures compare to other players? I would have thought that having a player available for approx 70% of the games in all competitions in a season is about what you would expect. I'd love it to be 100% but I doubt if ANY player gets that consistently.

It is a bit worrying but always seems to be the case with pacey players. The hamstring always seems to go on the lads.

Wouldn't be too much of an issue if we didn't rely so much on him to provide the goals. But I'd take an injured injury prone Torres over any striker any day.

I think he works so hard as a loan striker for the team he's bound to get injured. If he had a strike partner with him it would take a lot of pressure of him. Most of his injuries have come when it looks he has been back to early or playing when he's clearly still injured. Everybody can see what a fully fit Torres can do so let's hope this operation clears up the problem.

How do those figures compare to other players? I would have thought that having a player available for approx 70% of the games in all competitions in a season is about what you would expect. I'd love it to be 100% but I doubt if ANY player gets that consistently.

True, you even look at Rooney;

2007/08 - Played 43 out of 55 - 75%

2008/09 - Played 49 out of 66 - 74%

2009/10 - Played 29 out of 36 - 80%

Players miss games. Plus, until this season Rooney wasn't the man relied up almost exclusively to get your team goals, Rooney also has also had the last two summers free, not jetting halfway around the world playing the maximum matches possible when you should be on a beach somewhere.

Torres' injury record isn't the best, but its hardly a surprise.

i think many of his injuries stem from fatigue. He's an all action player, and with league, cup and european games at home, combined with a tournament every summer of some kind, it's no wonder he keeps breaking down.

If it was up to me there's no way on earth he'd be going to the world cup this summer.

Then again, if it was up to me there'd be no world cup anyway!

When he's been rested in the past the manager has been slaughtered on this very forum.