You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

If you want to continue then weigh yourself. Do it first thing in a morning in your underwear as the weight of clothing can be more than you think!

Despite losing weight I'm as frustrated as I've been in ages as I can't run, do weights, swim, cycle as it just triggers my back pain. So I'll never be able to get in good shape. I can get really lean but would just look skinny.

Believe me, Elite, I’ve probably cut my nails in the past with the thought it might help the scales. I’m not fat. I’m like most women/maybe men too and just always wish I was a few pounds lighter than I am. It’s annoying.

Apologies if you’ve discussed this already but what is your back pain? Can you not get it sorted?

I had a car crash early last year and have a suspected bulging disc that has given me all sorts of grief (Sciatica, spasms). At the moment I do pilates and regular sessions with an osteopath which helps but it keeps coming back, very frustrating.

Right, just joined a gym. 30 day trial to see if I like it. Seems very good, not full of Muscle Marys and lots of support. They do PT classes that look like ‘fun’. 

I was chatting to the owner about classes, I told him I have no rhythm so hate (my words) ‘dance type shite, I prefer picking up and moving heavy stuff.  Like tidying a giants house’. At that point he realised the size of the task ahead of him.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I can’t do spinning because of my dicky knees. Once had to walk out of a class in the warm-up. The shame. 

You don't need to go as hard as they say all the time.

If you knees are fucked and you cannot cycle you are going to struggle to do anything effective in the gym. Bicep curls maybe or yoga.

4 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

If you knees are fucked and you cannot cycle you are going to struggle to do anything effective in the gym. Bicep curls maybe or yoga.

I’ve got Osgood-Schlatter syndrome.  A 46 yr old man with a condition usually found in teenagers, like an episode of House.  Anyway the angle of knee bend for cycling fucking kills. I can run for miles but can’t cycle 100m.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve got Osgood-Schlatter syndrome.  A 46 yr old man with a condition usually found in teenagers, like an episode of House.  Anyway the angle of knee bend for cycling fucking kills. I can run for miles but can’t cycle 100m.  

Never heard of that mate. Good that you can do something. 

Get lifting.

15 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

You beat me to it there. I joined The Village gym last summer (my first gym experience) and have been using it for the classes and as much as I really like it I have noticed that they all seem to be quite ‘squat’ focused and if you’ve got any knee issues you’re going to be very restricted

3 minutes ago, Champ said:

You beat me to it there. I joined The Village gym last summer (my first gym experience) and have been using it for the classes and as much as I really like it I have noticed that they all seem to be quite ‘squat’ focused and if you’ve got any knee issues you’re going to be very restricted

If there was one exercise that you had to do and no other it would be squats.

Overall body conditioning in one exercise. Full depth it is not so hard on the knees. 

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I had that as a teenager though it was undiagnosed at the time, only found out what it was 10 years later. Both knees really ached for up to 45 minutes after exercise, is that the same for you? 

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I had that as a teenager though it was undiagnosed at the time, only found out what it was 10 years later. Both knees really ached for up to 45 minutes after exercise, is that the same for you? 

Yep, it’s fucking agony. Some exercise worse than others but cycling is impossible. Most people grow out of it by late teens. It hurts that much that I often dream about being unable to walk. Should cheer some of you cunts up. 

On 2/25/2019 at 4:59 PM, Tony Moanero said:

I once weighed myself, did a MASSIVE fart, weighed myself again and had lost 1 pound.

Farting is expensive. I lost two pounds after dropping a turd. 

On 2/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, Anny Road said:

Lots of people in my gym have started doing Olympic style lifting. Not very heavy but they are looking really good on it.

My gym(s) are full of people (mostly in their early 20s) who have read an article in Men's Fitness online or in Closer magazine that they should be using barbells and - while that's admirable - instead of reading up on correct form, technique, equipment and programming they go into the gym cold and start throwing weights around any old way. You never see them again, either cos they've given up or they've injured themselves. (And i should know because I used to be one of those people!)

Basic barbell lifts (squat, dead lift, bench press, shoulder press) are complicated enough, but Olympic stuff like snatches, clean and jerks etc are incredibly technical. If people spent more time concentrating instead of every available moment scrolling through their smartphones....

And don't get me started on the personal trainers - holy fuck most of them are stealing a living. The trainers in my gym are TERRIBLE. The're stealing money off clients - getting them to do all sorts of silly shit while spending half the time talking about what they're up to at the weekend. I see people who have been going the gym the same number of years as me and they're as skinny/fat (delete as applicable) as the day they walked in. 

And worst of all is they get in my way on the squat rack! 

HERE ENDS MY RANT.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

My gym(s) are full of people (mostly in their early 20s) who have read an article in Men's Fitness online or in Closer magazine that they should be using barbells and - while that's admirable - instead of reading up on correct form, technique, equipment and programming they go into the gym cold and start throwing weights around any old way. You never see them again, either cos they've given up or they've injured themselves. (And i should know because I used to be one of those people!)

Basic barbell lifts (squat, dead lift, bench press, shoulder press) are complicated enough, but Olympic stuff like snatches, clean and jerks etc are incredibly technical. If people spent more time concentrating instead of every available moment scrolling through their smartphones....

And don't get me started on the personal trainers - holy fuck most of them are stealing a living. The trainers in my gym are TERRIBLE. The're stealing money off clients - getting them to do all sorts of silly shit while spending half the time talking about what they're up to at the weekend. I see people who have been going the gym the same number of years as me and they're as skinny/fat (delete as applicable) as the day they walked in. 

And worst of all is they get in my way on the squat rack! 

HERE ENDS MY RANT.

Good post mate could not agree more.

I do very few exercises, Squats, deads, push press, bench press, dips, pull ups and rows, pretty much covers it. One day a week I’ll have a ‘fuck about day’ were I may do so triceps biceps abs, whatever and not caring too much. More stretching than anything else.

Our place is a community gym. Just a big massive shed with squat racks and a few machines. No personal trainers. One fella is a strength and conditioning coach for a pro rugby team and he occasionally does courses, for free, on Olympic Lifts.

Ive never done it and surprisingly a lot of ladies do it. Something to do with the bloke taking the class looking like Adonis no doubt. They are really strict on form and the look in great shape.

I used to travel a lot with work and go to gyms all over and see PT’s showing people 20 different bicep curls on bouncy balls. Fucking idiots. I got chucked out of one for deadlifting when I told them to fuck off when told to stop.

No extra coin in that.

• Upvote 1