You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

I assume that's some sort of roundabout way of asking how long am I gonna try it for?

Well I'm hoping until Friday. Have a company bbq that night, so if I can stay off the beer and maybe have a few JD and Coke Zeros, it'll be a good low carb refeed.

Checked in at 211.8lbs this morning.

Had 3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar for breakfast. Tis horrible!

Have my 2 litres of snakejuice next to me here in the office, and I'll sip away on that during the say. Basically tastes like seawater, but without all the whale spunk.

it's actually Stig spunk

I assume that's some sort of roundabout way of asking how long am I gonna try it for?

Well I'm hoping until Friday. Have a company bbq that night, so if I can stay off the beer and maybe have a few JD and Coke Zeros, it'll be a good low carb refeed.

Checked in at 211.8lbs this morning.

Had 3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar for breakfast. Tis horrible!

Have my 2 litres of snakejuice next to me here in the office, and I'll sip away on that during the say. Basically tastes like seawater, but without all the whale spunk.

I admire your determination. Fair play.

I admire your determination. Fair play.

If you saw the state of me at this stage, you'd understand!

I can't wait until I reach the age where I'd accept things. Thought I'd be there at 42, but no sign yet.

• Upvote 1

Just done a four week course at this place - https://absolutebodysolutions.com/services

3 x 45 minute PT session per week.

Before - Weighed 87.2kg with a lean mass of 59.9kg = 31.3% body fat.

After - Weighed 81.6kg with a lean mass of 62.3kg = 23.7% body fat.

So lost 7.6% body fat.  This equates to about a stone and a half of fat and half a stone of it replaced by lean muscle. 

Thinking of signing up for the 16 week course after my holidays. 

• Upvote 1

Not knocking your achievements mate that’s good work but I would take those measurements with a pinch of salt. It is virtuall impossible to build muscle and lose weight at the same time certainly not half a stone of muscle in 4 weeks.

Calipers will give you a guide and a reasonable guide but do not measure any subcutaneous fat. They certainly can’t measure it to a decimal place.

You have more than likely simply lost a stone and got fitter.

Thats great like not knocking you just don’t fall for PT sales bullshit.

Read up on it mate. Seriously I’m not taking the piss just for the sake of it.

Had a quick look at the 6 week course and they say

‘Our personal trainers want to set you up for success, so once the six weeks are finished we’ll have hit those areas where you’re storing the most fat, and you’ll have diet and exercise plans to try out yourself.’

That sets my alarm bells ringing straight away. It is physically impossible to lose fat in one particular area. Even if targeting it with exercise. If you have a fat arse doing squats won’t miraculously make you arse fat melt off. Your body decides we’re it goes and were it wants to get rid first.

Fair enough mate it’s your cash. These experts as you call them have probably done a weekend course. But you take there advice of someone with a degree in sports science. If it is working for you it is working.

• Upvote 1

Have lost 1 and a half stone on Slimming World now. Started jogging again, down to size 38 kecks and XL T shirts from 40s and XXL. Still 19'8 (was 21'4) but want to get down to 16 which is probably my perfect weight. Hope to do it by Christmas as the weight loss seems to be speeding up with the jogging (4lbs last week).  

• Upvote 3

I'll trust the experts rather than someone on the 'net, thanks though.

I can see why you might not like someone correcting the information they have given you, especially when it's so positive, but look at it this way, Anny has nothing to gain from pointing out any observed discrepancy.

It's well known that most body fat estimate techniques are wildly inaccurate but the two most trusted are bodpods and the water displacem tests.

Just as an example, the calipers can be used minutes apart and come up with figures many percentages apart. By the same person. Even if there is no intention, the observer is aware of which one is a before and which one is an after measurement, and subconsciously this can affect their readings.

I don't mean to beat the drum, I'm only explaining where Anny is coming from.

The weight loss itself isn't really up for debate as you can see that yourself. The body composition numbers aren't really possible in that time frame (I think about 1-2lbs a month of muscle is seen as a great achievement), but no doubt you have made great progress, will have lost fat, and are now stronger, leaner, and fitter, so kudos!

A professional bodybuilder eating a massive calorie surplus, not giving a shit about fat gain, training like a lunatic and no doubt on the gear would be delighted to gain 1b a week of muscle. They would spend 16 weeks doing this follow by 12 weeks on reduced calories attempting to burn off the fat gained whilst maintaining as much muscle as possible.

If only they had a personal trainer.

Naby.

That weight loss is great but that is 100% diet not the classes.

1b of weight equates to 3500 calories.

If your 45 mins burned 500 cals (which I doubt) three times per week would be 1500.

That would be less than 1/2 lb per week. Over 4 weeks that would be 2lb.

You lost 12.

Your great success is down to your diet which I am assuming you must have changed.

Not critical of you in anyway but personal trainers are a pet hate of mine. They pedal shite and rip people off.

• Upvote 1

For the last 2 weeks I stubbornly stayed at 13st which pissed me offf a bit. I was very happy with the two and a half stone loss and assumed it was a plateau that I wouldn’t break.

Then this week I dropped to 12st 10lb.

Probably just from stress but it was nice to break that 13st mark.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

After an abortive start because I didn't realise what I needed to get started (supplements), I started ketosis and alternate day fasting on the 20th August. 

At that point I was tipping the scales at 27st4lb.

Now 23st9lb so it's going well. Have worked my way through nearly two smaller sized belts in that time (on last hole of the second).

Long way to go but getting there.

• Upvote 13

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

After an abortive start because I didn't realise what I needed to get started (supplements), I started ketosis and alternate day fasting on the 20th August. 

Now 23st9lb so it's going well. Have worked my way through nearly two smaller sized belts in that time (on last hole of the second).

Nearly 4st down which is no mean feat, keep going mate.

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

How long you been on that, mate? What other stuff you been doing? What have you been eating? What supplements? 

Just following a lot of the quick keto recipes off the web. Supplements are for fasting days - magnesium, potassium sulphate, and also have a teaspoon of MCT oil each morning.

Lots of eggs, chicken, fish, and the occasional bit of red meat. Butter, coconut oil and olive oil to cook, and cheese and mayo as sauces or in salads. Sticking mainly to avacado, salad vegetables, broccoli and loads of wilted spinach (which I'm a big fan of). Haven't really used the Stevia. I drink beef or chicken stock, with a bit of added Himalayan pink salt, at mealtimes on fasting days, which is quite saitiating.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Anubis said:

Just following a lot of the quick keto recipes off the web. Supplements are for fasting days - magnesium, potassium sulphate, and also have a teaspoon of MCT oil each morning.

Lots of eggs, chicken, fish, and the occasional bit of red meat. Butter, coconut oil and olive oil to cook, and cheese and mayo as sauces or in salads. Sticking mainly to avacado, salad vegetables, broccoli and loads of wilted spinach (which I'm a big fan of). Haven't really used the Stevia. I drink beef or chicken stock, with a bit of added Himalayan pink salt, at mealtimes on fasting days, which is quite saitiating.

Looks like you’re doing a hell of a job, mate. What’s your general caloric intake?

12 hours ago, Anubis said:

Great going mate. Keep up the good work.

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Looks like you’re doing a hell of a job, mate. What’s your general caloric intake?

With a 20% deficit for weight loss about 2,300. I keep doing the macros on a weekly basis but aim to be there or thereabouts rather than religiously adhere to them. I just make sure that I stay under 20g of carbs and that protein stays relatively modest.

• Upvote 1