You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

I'm 6-0 and was 20 st, six and a half months months ago. Since early May I've been a svelt 14-8 while still maintaining the same height and all limbs. I found that exercising more and eating less did the trick. Also I didn't need to come on a website and whinge like a big homo looking for support.

I hope this helps.

I'm 6ft and weigh 12 stone 10 lbs, my gut is the problem. I cannot properly shift that bastard. People always say eat fresh food but quite frankly I'm clueless about what meals/combinations to eat. I concede that my sole liquid intake is Coke so that may be a factor in the gut problem.

Really need to cut the coke out. As i said earlier leaving out bread could well help. plenty of chicken and fresh veg

try broccoli,spiniach any other greens,swap normal potatoes for sweet potatoes. I have been leaving pasta,rice,bread and fizzy drinks out of my diet and its been great. Using chillis and Cayen pepper in food is very good for the motabalism. Boiled chicken and steamed broccoli is a very good low fat meal. Swapping red meat for game works aswell.It costs a little more but much leaner. There is also the obvious things like leaving mayo,ketchup etc out of food.

Plenty of stir fried veg- mix a table spoon of honet with soy sauce/pepper to coat the veg,then add to taste lemon/Orange/Lime juice,chilli

coat a few peppers in olive oil throw in the oven on high untill blistered,skin

them chop up and put in baking tray with chopped mushrooms,aubagene any other med style veg,put on a couple tins of tomatoes then either add herbs or chilli as prefered,put in oven 180-200 for a hour or so. It can be frozen once cold,really usefull for when coming in from work.

If you want a few other ideas let me know

frozen fruit is great for juicing or smoothies.

the gut is the hardest place to lose weight from as it's where fat mainly settles. Ditch the coke and heavy carbs in the evening. Lay off the ale for a month and you'll see the difference

I don't drink sugar drinks, I don't eat after 6pm, and I drink alcohol an average of once every other week. I have a bar of chocolate or 'sweets' an average of once every other week, and 'fast food' maybe once every six weeks at most. I do have a lot of muscle under my gut though which seems to have pushed it out a bit.

Pretty short of ideas here though.

I don't drink sugar drinks, I don't eat after 6pm, and I drink alcohol an average of once every other week. I have a bar of chocolate or 'sweets' an average of once every other week, and 'fast food' maybe once every six weeks at most. I do have a lot of muscle under my gut though which seems to have pushed it out a bit.

Pretty short of ideas here though.

More sex?

I've lost nearly a stone in the last 7 weeks. No fat, no bread and no dairy except milk in tea and those very low fat cheese triangle things. Thing I'm finding really hard is no beer but I'm trying to limit it to one or two nights a week. Another 2 stone to go and I'll be svelt.

I've started doing some of that running lark as well. I gave up on that 'couch to 5k' malarkey ages ago and I've just decided to run as far as I feel comfortable with. Recently I went round the lake at Roundhay Park, Leeds (2.6km) and a couple of times I've been to a park closer to where I live and run round the lake there. Aiming to build up to 5k then enter some kind of event.

It's going a bit ore slowly than I'd prefer but the running combined with the shite I've stopped eating should have me sorted by the end of the summer, just in time for Christmas when I can put it all back on again,

See you here in 12 months time folks.

Guest Pistonbroke

I was almost down to my perfect weight which was both hard work and rewarding. Now i've put half of it back on due to being on crutches and lazing around with beer whilst watching a certain tournament. It's a vicious merry-go-round.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna get involved with this lads. I'm 5,9" and weigh 13 Stone 2; I don't look ridiculously fat or anything but i've put weight on over the last few months due to being sidelined from football with an injury, and now it's obviously off-season so i'm not playing any football. I'm looking to get to about 12 stone-ish and i'll be achieving this through a mixture of cardio and weights.

I joined the gym last week and i've started looking at my diet over the last few days. I'm thinking of keeping things up to date with the blog section on this site - anyone interested in doing the same to keep us motivated and interested etc? Reading about the progress of other people doing the same thing would be pretty motivational for me and also good to read.

I'm gonna get involved with this lads. I'm 5,9" and weigh 13 Stone 2; I don't look ridiculously fat or anything but i've put weight on over the last few months due to being sidelined from football with an injury, and now it's obviously off-season so i'm not playing any football. I'm looking to get to about 12 stone-ish and i'll be achieving this through a mixture of cardio and weights.

I joined the gym last week and i've started looking at my diet over the last few days. I'm thinking of keeping things up to date with the blog section on this site - anyone interested in doing the same to keep us motivated and interested etc? Reading about the progress of other people doing the same thing would be pretty motivational for me and also good to read.

I use this site Burn Fat, Lose Weight, and Gain Muscle - DailyBurn to record my progress and you can set goals or select programmes to follow. It charts your progress with graphs and all sorts. You can track your food/calories on there too, really easy.

The problem with doing weights is that it's hard to track your weight loss, you don't know how much weight you've gained in a week is muscle or how much you've lost is fat. There's that BMI bollocks like but you can only really use it in the gym and to be honest, I don't think it's always that accurate. When I started hammering the weights years ago I struggled to lose any weight at all even when I was doing cardio because my body was storing all the fat (I couldn't be arsed with all the five meals a day bollocks and counting which was protein and which wasn't)

If you're after losing weight I wouldn't spend any time on heavy weights to be honest, maybe just a bit to help you tone up, but when you start really getting into them it's easy to lose seight of the weight loss - it complicates everything, and 'cutting down' no longer works.

I'd recommend watching this video to anyone who wants to lose weight before they go taking advice from other people.

Even if you end up thinking it's bollocks, it's still quite interesting although it is over an hour long.

Anyway, it doesn't have a diet plan or anythng like that in it, just research and it's what I used to help plan my diet over the last few weeks and even though I cracked a few times and fell off it, I still lost the amount of weight I wanted to which means I can now just look at maintaining this weight through exercise and eating sensibly.

Used to run all the time few years ago, anyway moved to an area where wouldn’t run, done nothing for years, office job where I’d only eat in the night and pig out at that, ended up getting type 2 diabetes.

About 19 stone originally, on way back now, about 14, started running about 9 months ago, started off with 5mins, fuck me did I wheeze, pretty scary, also had some weird feelings at first – panicky type attack things where my heart beat wasn’t right, had to concentrate to catch up, weird feeling but again pretty scary. Anyway run between 40 – 50 mins on machine 5 – 6 days a week, no adverse affects now, I will get back to what I used to be but fuck me it’s hard (think you have to have something you don't mind doing, running is mine). Ale (yeah I know I shouldn’t) is now probably my only downfall but I will get rid of this diabetes.

The problem with doing weights is that it's hard to track your weight loss, you don't know how much weight you've gained in a week is muscle or how much you've lost is fat. There's that BMI bollocks like but you can only really use it in the gym and to be honest, I don't think it's always that accurate. When I started hammering the weights years ago I struggled to lose any weight at all even when I was doing cardio because my body was storing all the fat (I couldn't be arsed with all the five meals a day bollocks and counting which was protein and which wasn't)

If you're after losing weight I wouldn't spend any time on heavy weights to be honest, maybe just a bit to help you tone up, but when you start really getting into them it's easy to lose seight of the weight loss - it complicates everything, and 'cutting down' no longer works.

That's very true. I lost the 90lbs and then started doing the weights (I just did cardio prior to that). So while maintaining my weight, I've actually dropped another 2 inches on the waste solely through doing weights and "tightening up" as it were.

If you're doing wights then you have to be careful with the cardio and make sure you don't burn off the muscle you've just created. 20 mins max on a treadmill after weights if you have already gained your goal weight. That, or you need to eat a hell of a lot.

I use this site Burn Fat, Lose Weight, and Gain Muscle - DailyBurn to record my progress and you can set goals or select programmes to follow. It charts your progress with graphs and all sorts. You can track your food/calories on there too, really easy.

I registered on there yesterday and have input my stuff since Saturday - it's really useful to track what you're eating etc.