You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

I love proper cycling, but I hate stationary bikes. They don't feel right.

Been reading up on this (Men's Health is a good place to start), and I've decided to give full body workouts with supersets a go. From what I've read, it is the best way to burn fat without sacrificing muscle (a very tricky balancing act). I do the following 3 times a week:

Warm up: Running (2km, moderate pace)

Core: Plank (4 x 1 minute)

Superset 1 (Alternating the two exercises )

Deadlift (2 x 8-15 reps)

Barbell bicep curl (2 x 8-15 reps)

Superset 2 (as above)

Bench press

Wide grip lat pulldown

Superset 3

Dumbell Squats

Clean and Press

Superset 4

Barbell pullover

Upright row

Superset 5

Leg extension

Tricep pulldown

Superset 6

Flyes

Selectorized row (or bent-over row)

The pairing of exercises can be changed, as long as each pair targets a different set of muscles. I'm able to get through all of the weights in about 45 minutes (supersets really cutdown on the rest time), with another 20 minutes for the warm-up and plank.

The aim should be to be wiped by the end - use enough weight for each exercise so that you lift to failure within the 8-15 rep zone. I find if I can make it to 15, then it is time to increase the weight for next time. If I can't get to 8, I drop it back (but some lifters who really want a lot of muscle may aim for reps of only 4 or 5 at very heavy weights). I pencil in a 3km run at the end, but often I just skip that and try to do cardio only on the off-days:

Mon: rest completely

Tue: cardio only

Wed: Weights

Thur: cardio only

Fri: Weights

Sat: cardio only

Sun: Weights

I've only just started this program (I used to do a split-body program that took up too much time and I kind of plateaued on it), but so far it feels great (your muscles are the pleasant kind of sore during the off-days, and the routine is varied enough to be interesting). I still need to sort out my diet to really make the most of it, but so far so good.

Have 2/3 proper meals a day with : Protein/Carbs/Fibre, with as little fat as possible. If you're still hungry, have a piece of fruit or some water/squash top keep you going. AVOID SUGARY CARBS (Coco Pops etc). Do 30 minutes minimum of cardio at least 4 times a week. You WILL lose weight. Very basic I know but people can overcomplicate this massively. Calories in > Calories burned = weight gain.

With £60 though,Lurtz isnt going to be able to afford much of a proper bike,cant run and doesnt like gyms so there arent may options other than diet and walking.

Wether you like them or not is not the point. You are not there to enjoy yourself.

The gym I go to is a shit hole. It stinks has no heating or showers hardly any machines and costs £8 a month. I'd much rather go to a fancy fitness first type of place where you can watch the telly have a latte after a lovely swim. Guess what though I'd get nothing done and be in there for hours staring at fanny and spinning my wheels.

My gym I'm in and out in 40 mins workout done no chatting ear phones on.

Find a proper gym not a possers place and lads in there will help you out.

Have 2/3 proper meals a day with : Protein/Carbs/Fibre, with as little fat as possible. If you're still hungry, have a piece of fruit or some water/squash top keep you going. AVOID SUGARY CARBS (Coco Pops etc). Do 30 minutes minimum of cardio at least 4 times a week. You WILL lose weight. Very basic I know but people can overcomplicate this massively. Calories in > Calories burned = weight gain.

Decent advice mate except for the fat bit. Don't be scared of fat. You need it olive oil, fatty fish, nuts, meat, offal, avacados are all great and eat loads of them. Avoid trans fats and shite. You know the stuff that we all love.

If you eat 1500 cals of sausages every day and nothing else you will still lose weight. You won't be very healthy but you will lose weight.

I'm with Anny on this. Basic Gym is the way forward. No pool, sauna, coffee bar etc. Just loads of good equipment and basic, but clean.

I use the snappily titled The Gym. Who do some great offers. Not as cheap as £8 a month, but still only £15/16.

I'm happy to recommend them. https://www.thegymgroup.com/

Jessssus clicked on that link. that looks like paradise. We basically have a massive shed in the middle of a farmers field with loads of weights bars and a (old school) Ghetto blaster

Simple bits of advice,might be on here already but I'm not reading the whole thread now.

Add some cayenne pepper to your meals,drink a glass of water before meals and half a pink grapefruit 30 mins before meals.

I hoping to drop around 40/50lb in the next few months.I was ok(not great)before messing my left hip joint up a few years back.Even after the op it's taken 2 years off constant kicks in the balls to get going again.Every time I take 2 steps forwards I end up in pain and taking a step back.

Looks like I have a arthritis issue in the hip at 29 which is a twat but I'm hoping some stretching;not calling it yoga) and light weights will help.

To top it off my shoulder is playing up were I slept funny on it a couple of months back.

Anyway lost 7lb in a 10 days which is a decent start.

weighed myself today, down to 97kg. made up, not been under 100kg for years. was 104kg in feb. 101 at the start of april. still overweight for my height but i'm happy that something is working right and I don't really feel like I am 'dieting'.

Aiming for 85kg by september, I'll be happy with that. Haven't changed much except been taking my own dinner to work (usually decent chicken / fish salad) and drinking lager to start with before hitting the cider instead of cider all day, stopped eating stupid takeaways like pizza / kebabs and made sure I always have something healthyish to eat in the house when i am pissed. The gym 2 or 3 times a week has helped too.

Not a big meat eater anyway but I've cut down on red meat, only because I don't really feel like buying / cooking it. Most of the fat I get is from oily fish and olive oil. The only massive amounts of sugar I get is from beer really. Been having loads of veg; peas, carrots, sweetcorn, beans etc instead of bread or potatoes with my main meals and as a bonus if we have a 'Deadly Winter' I can raid the corn out of my arse as second harvest. Oh yeahhhh.

I take no notice of them height/weight charts.

According to the charts this man is obese

rousimar-palhares-3.jpg

Yeah the BMI chart is pretty shit. It doesn't account for muscle and for overly tall or short guys it is inaccurate. Most of the rugby players etc would count as dangerously obese. For me, the best guide on weight is to work on not having a big fat belly and man tits. It is hard work but a good diet is really helping. Recently I have found because I have lost like 9kg, lost a chin and man boobs but my belly still sticks out. Need to work on that but I am told by the gym trainers that it is the last thing that blokes lose, so just keep on it.

Wether you like them or not is not the point. You are not there to enjoy yourself.

The gym I go to is a shit hole. It stinks has no heating or showers hardly any machines and costs £8 a month. I'd much rather go to a fancy fitness first type of place where you can watch the telly have a latte after a lovely swim. Guess what though I'd get nothing done and be in there for hours staring at fanny and spinning my wheels.

My gym I'm in and out in 40 mins workout done no chatting ear phones on.

Find a proper gym not a possers place and lads in there will help you out.

If you dont like them you are not going to use them so saying that you are not there to enjoy yourself is silly and will not help anybody go there.

All changes made must be things that can be continued in the long term,eg simple things that people do like change from full fat milk to semi skimmed,brown bread from white bread and so on and the same goes for exercise.

I love the gym but they are all out of my price range so I jog a couple of times a week and this is sustainable as I've been able to do it for 20+ years so I think Lurtz needs something he can maintain like I have done.

You hit the nail on the head when you said its as simple as burning off more calories than you take in.This is always easier when exercise is part of the equation.

Jessssus clicked on that link. that looks like paradise. We basically have a massive shed in the middle of a farmers field with loads of weights bars and a (old school) Ghetto blaster

The only place by ours that resembles yours is a place that charges nearly twice what I pay.

It's a no brainer really. The place I use is top value. Probably the cheapest round here.

Some gyms are ridiculously expensive tho. Can't understand why anyone, unless a really serious trainer; would forkout in excess of £40-50 a month.

It's ludicrous to say you can only get fit by going to the gym, hundreds of exercise methods you can use instead. I like what I like to call Keegans, after hearing about what Kevin did when he was deemed week by some manager at a call centre or something that he worked at. He got some weights and ran up and down the steps at his local tiddlywinks stadium. If there are some steps outdoors somewhere maybe at a park that you can run up and down, it's a really good all over exercise and I have found I don't strain my muscles from it the next day. Haven't done it in ages though.

• 3 weeks later...

Started to trim down myself, nothing major apart from cutting down on ale, drinking tea and pigging out. This is a problem with the boredom I face in work. I have managed to drop around 5-7lb in about 4 weeks, and one or two people have tried to compliment me but made a fucking hash of it.

Anybody who has met me will hopefully say I am hardly a fucking pudding.

After putting on a stone when I quit smoking (11 weeks now!) I decided it was time to shift that weight and the 3 and a half stone I already wanted to lose.

2 weeks of the cabbage soup diet during the week and having weekends off I have lost nearly a stone and I'm feeling alot better.

Doing 30 minutes on the rowing machine a night and playing at least 72 holes of golf a week (what a fucking awsome excuse to tell the missus).

Hoping by August I will have lost all I want to.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm trying my first carb free day today. Me and my bird are trying to do 2 a week as well as walking to see if it has any effect on it. 2 eggs for breakfast. Where's the fucking toast??

You looked quite svelte walking into work with your lilac shirt today Paulie. Not a big fan of the work pass hanging off your pants look though.

• 3 weeks later...

Sherry, I'm presuming the 33" is an accumulative figure from various areas of your body. But think back when you started this - did you want to lose inches and be thinner or were you wanting a lower number on the scales? I bet you'd happily trade losing another good few inches but only dropping a further half stone, you'd be delighted, wouldn't you?

Your actual weight in stones and pounds on the scales is irrelevant if you're physically thinner. It shows that the loss is from fat. It's bulky but not actually very heavy in comparison to muscle tissue. Have a look at the boxer on the scales above. He's in great shape, but his actual weight would be much higher than you'd guess it to be. It's all muscle, with only about 8-10% body fat, if even that much.

Being lighter on the scales won't affect how you feel about yourself and the clothes you wear, like being thinner will!

Well done and keep going.

Nah you're right, it was about being thinner and yes i would gladly drop half a stone but say goodbye to another 15 inches. I'm actually chuffed that i'm a size smaller, I just thought the scales would be more generous.

The circuit classes are in the martial arts school so it's more about strength, the muscle definition on my thighs looks ace and I can now do man style press ups instead of the girl legs on the floor thing ;)

Being lighter on the scales won't affect how you feel about yourself and the clothes you wear' date=' like being thinner will!

Well done and keep going.[/quote']

Is it a just a girl thing then?