You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

Meet Dr. Arthur Agatston

Leading Preventive Cardiologist and Creator and Author of The South Beach Diet

Dr. Arthur Agatston is a preventive cardiologist and an associate professor of medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. A pioneer in the field of noninvasive cardiac imaging, Dr. Agatston’s scientific work with Dr. Warren Janowitz, first reported in 1991, resulted in the Agatston Score, a method for screening for coronary calcium that is currently used throughout the world and considered by many experts to be the best predictor of heart disease.

Dr. Agatston has had published more than 100 scientific articles and abstracts in medical journals, including the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Circulation, the American Journal of Cardiology, and the Annals of Internal Medicine. He is a frequent lecturer on diet, health, and the prevention of heart disease both nationally and internationally and participates as a speaker, faculty member, and organizer of numerous academic cardiology meetings and symposia. Dr. Agatston has also served as an expert consultant to the Clinical Trials Committee of the National Institutes of Health and has served on committees of the American Society of Echocardiography, the American College of Cardiology, and the Society of Atherosclerosis Imaging. He is currently on the board of directors of the Society for Heart Attack Prevention and Eradication (SHAPE) and the American Dietetic Association Foundation. Recently, Dr. Agatston received the prestigious Alpha Omega Award from New York University Medical Center for outstanding achievement in the medical profession.

Along with his renown as a researcher, lecturer, and pioneer in clinical and preventive cardiology, Dr. Agatston is best known publicly as the author of the best-selling The South Beach Diet.

Where It All Began

Raised on the north shore of Long Island, Dr. Agatston's father and grandfather were doctors, and Arthur Agatston knew from an early age that he also desired a career in medicine. After graduating from New York University School of Medicine and completing his cardiology fellowship at NYU, Dr. Agatston elected to combine academics with clinical practice. He accepted a position at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach, which was associated with the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

Where It's Led

In 1995, Dr. Agatston developed a diet to help his cardiac and diabetes patients improve their blood chemistries and lose weight. His eating plan worked so well that a Miami TV station asked if it could offer the diet to its viewers. Hundreds of South Floridians went on the diet and lost weight three years running, and its popularity eventually led to the publication of Dr. Agatston’s first book, The South Beach Diet, in 2003. Today, the South Beach Diet is a lifestyle approach to healthy eating for millions of people around the world.

There are more than 23 million copies of The South Beach Diet and its companion books currently in print worldwide, including: The South Beach Diet Cookbook (2004); The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide (2004); The South Beach Diet Quick & Easy Cookbook (2005); The South Beach Diet Dining Guide (2005); The South Beach Diet Parties & Holidays Cookbook (2006); The South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Cookbook (2007), The South Beach Heart Health Revolution (2008), The South Beach Diet Supercharged (2008), The South Beach Diet Super Quick Cookbook (2010), and his most recent book The South Beach Wake-Up Call (2011). Today Dr. Agatston can also be found on the Web at SouthBeachDiet.com and EverdayHealth.com. He is also an advisor on heart health for Prevention magazine.

Where It's Going

In 2004, Dr. Agatston founded the nonprofit Agatston Research Foundation for the purpose of conducting and funding original research on diet, cardiac health, and disease prevention. The Foundation is dedicated to improving the heart health and wellness of the nation through research, education, and prevention. In the fall of 2004 the foundation implemented the Healthier Options for Public Schoolchildren (HOPS) initiative to provide nutrition and healthy lifestyle education programming, including daily physical activity, to more than 50,000 elementary school children nationally. Data from the initiative, presented at national conferences including those of the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, the American Dietetic Association, and the American Academy of Pediatrics, and published in 2010 in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, show that children in HOPS schools improved their weight, blood pressures, and academic test scores more so than children in non-HOPS schools. Today the foundation is also working with the University of Pennsylvania on the Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative to further pursue better nutrition in public schools and with the Mayo Clinic and the University of Miami on research projects dedicated to developing healthier lifestyles and to the prevention of cardiovascular disease.

Have to say that it is so much easier to lose weight with resistance training. I do a lot less running now because the weather is shite but have concentrated on heavy weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench press forming the core of my exercises. The weights I am using are not heavy compared to the monsters in my gym but are heavy for me.

My strength is rocketing and the waistline is reducing rapidly. Not losing weight on the scales but the fat is falling off.

Keep track of calories using myfinesspal.com, eat 5 meals a day, relatively easy to be honest.

Just started again.

Trying to strengthen the area around my hip and it seems to be working at the moment(fingers crossed).

It's bloody hard work getting my backside out of bed at 03:45 to get to the gym for 04:20 mind.

Hoping to get down to between 180-195lb and see how I am doing from there.

Around 240lb now so a long way to go.

Hoping to get there in around 4 months or so.

You will lose weight if you follow that diet, but the soup is disgusting and in reality you will go around being hungry.

The South Beach diet is much better, its up to you what you want eat and you can eat six times a day.

There is a yes list and a no list of what to eat the first 14 days b ut after that you are allowed to eat almost everything but you should need to stick to the basics of the program which is less sugar/carbs.

Everyone who wants to lose weight should try it out and I can almost guarentee a weight loss of 6-10 kg the first months mayve even the first 14 days, and the best thing of all is that you lose the fat around your waist first.

Out of all those fad diets here is the only one I think makes sense

Low-glycemic index diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My old man is a diabetic and has had to live using GI foods ratings for over 40 years and he is still going strong at 75.

This GI stuff is good for everybody and not just diabetics.

At the end of the day its all up to the person themselves on how they want to lose weight or just get fitter.

Out of all those fad diets here is the only one I think makes sense

Low-glycemic index diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My old man is a diabetic and has had to live using GI foods ratings for over 40 years and he is still going strong at 75.

This GI stuff is good for everybody and not just diabetics.

At the end of the day its all up to the person themselves on how they want to lose weight or just get fitter.

If you read that page, you will notice a bit down, where it says.

See also:

South Beach diet.

I noticed that as they are both based on the same principle of GI related foods.

The problem of losing weight is all about exercising more and eating less fat.

That is a popular misconception. You need fat. Just the right sort. Olive oil, almonds Cashews. Get em in yer. Just exercise like the devil is chasing you.

Throw up some stats Code

I used that South Beach diet a few years back after I had been out with struggling knees for almost a year and the results were great.

In the beginning I went on the scale once a week and after a month with great results I was happy so I was not really that interested in my weight anymore, but one month later I had lost another 2 kilos.

This is how it looked like for me the two months before I was back being fit again.

1) 20/07: 95 kg

2) 28/07: 92 kg

3) 04/08: 89 kg

4) 11/08: 86 kg

5) 25/08: 84 kg

6) 19/09: 82 kg

It has to be said I was doing a lot of training as well, goingt to the gym 4-5 times a week, walking on mountains and playing a bit of football or how much me knees allowed me to do.

I've started again last Monday but this time around I dont expect the same fast results because I will not be able to do the same amount of exercise I did last time around and the basics are far worse at presnet than they were back then, but the goal is down at least 10 kg before the end of February and I think that will be pretty easy to be honest.

So compared to that I guess it will take but I can easily see results after one and a half week now.