You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

I am now officially sick of being fat. Im 5'9" (on a good day) and the last time i weighed myself i was just over 12 and a half stone. That was about early november. It has certainly gone up since then by about a stone.

Im not what many people would consider fat to look at but i am fat in the wrong places. I have developed a gut, moobs and worst of all a lazy attitude to excercise and food in particular. Im pretty unfit and i miss not having a clearly defined jaw of my early 20's.

I celebrated my 27th birthday on saturday and i have decided its enough. For the most part i know what im doing in the gym. And can lift a decent amout of weight for my skinny arms and legs. I know my way around the free weights and actually enjoy super sets and i do try and go once a week. On top of that i go boxing once a week but my diet is shite.

I eat crap, i dont normally eat breakfast. When i do its normally just a banana or eggs and feta on the weekend. I love potato and sweet potato. I always like warm food over cold. Salad is not a meal for me especially in the evening. i fucking love carbs. I find Healthy food is generally dull. I like flavour and spices. My portions are prob too big and have a high sweet tooth especially after my evening meal. I do like vegetables though and do eat brown rice/ pasta and can get on brown bread. I'll eat fruit but i really have to be in the mood same with food. i sound picky but im not really i will actually eat almost anything am rubbish. I know this, i know what i should be doing. This is how i am but not how i want to be.

What i need to do is get off my arse, walk to that train station its a 30min walk at worst. go to the gym bust most importantly eat properly. Any usfull tips on breaking bad habits?

I'm currently on a weights programme but haven't done cardiovascular exercise in ages. Today I signed up for a marathon relay team.

Tonight I'm doing a weights session followed by a run.

I'm just putting it on here for some accountability, as my old training partner moved to Oz and all my other mates are interested in training, at least not the way I do. Most just have football to keep them in shape.

don't diet. Just change the way you live.

It's all well and good eating fucken soup and sald for a few months and losing loads of weight, but you can't keep it up for ever. Go for slow progress - pound or two a week, by simply not eating any processed foods, oils in cooking, brown bread instead of white, drink vodka instead of beer etc

Basically, anywhere you can make a small concession - like no sugar in tea or a yoghurt with your lunch instead of crisps - then make it.

By eating just 500 calories a day less, you'll lose 1-2lb a week, easily.

This way may take a while longer to get to your ideal weight, but at least it'ss sustainable and more importantly, it's permanent.

In one Tom!

I was advised to lose a stone a few montjhs ago by my consultant to help bring my blood pressure down due to an ongoing health problem and I tackled it in the same way that you've mentioned. I've lost 18 pounds over 3 months and have kept it off by being sensible while not depriving myself either. I eat well but I just don't eat junk food anymore or snack between meals or eat any processed foods except for very rare occasions when i dont have a choice.

Edit : Would rep you but I'm all out

Plan to start the end of the week.

My hip is playing up again which makes everything hard.

The only thing I can use with any regularity is a bike but even that Is hard with after a while.

I injured it playing football a few years back and it caused calcium deposits to build up under my hip joint.They were removed and the clump was the size of my fists,they started forming again after the op.While its not as bad at the moment it's not great as it stops me opening my stride to be able to run.Not much can be done other than another op which will most likely end up the same way,I don't want to go under the knife again anyway.

Anyway enough of my moaning.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to lost 10 pounds in a week, this is how you do it. Stick to it religiously, and the weight will come off. To keep it off, you need to exercise and eat properly. It does work, and it's a great way to kick start a fitness regime.

Yup. First week or two you can lose a lot by hitting the gym, eating well and laying off the booze. Put on about 5kg over Chrismas and new year, lost 2.5 in a week.

I'm no scientist but I reckon a lot of that is water / fluid from drinking shit loads of cider every night during my christmas binge?

I've got this 'diet' if you'd call it that, going on - which was looked at by the dietician guy at the gym and thumbs upped for healthy weightloss / returning to fitness . I don't consider it a diet as I really like all this food:

general rules

------------

avoid white bread and other carbs with no nutritional value. all carbs should try and be wholegrain, brown rice, brown pasta etc

weekdays

---------

whole grain cereal, tea + brown toast for breakfast

high protein salad for lunch (bean salad, chick peas etc) with greens and a brown barm

gym after work, cardio - aim to burn off at least 500 calories, bit of the weights

fish or white meat for dinner with tons of veggies, maybe a baked potato

fucktons of green tea

maybe a glass of red wine

weekends

---------

same as above but cider, beer, whatever in the evening (ok so he didn't approve of this bit, but hey)

low-fat subway if I fancy it.

gym on a sunday night

I celebrated my 27th birthday on saturday and i have decided its enough.

So, JagSquared, how is it going?

Was thinking of bumping this thread myself. Trying to get back into a routine after Christmas and all that malarkey... Back running but its hard going. This is going to be a 'gradual process'

So, JagSquared, how is it going?

Was thinking of bumping this thread myself. Trying to get back into a routine after Christmas and all that malarkey... Back running but its hard going. This is going to be a 'gradual process'

Slowly but progress is being made. I weighed myself after posting and i was a shade under 13 stone. Im down to just over 12.5 stone and that was a week ago and I havent really done much to be honest, just slight improvements to turn my routine around slowly.

I have started eating breakfast. Some brown toast or a piece of fruit. I dont snack during the day and have made sure I only have a sandwich (Brown Bread) with lean meats like Turkey, a Salad or a Soup (if its cold). No Crisps chocolates or fizzy, sugary drinks. To tackle my sweet tooth I have started eating a handful grapes after lunch or dinner.

Excercise - I have started up the weekly boxing after my chrimbo hiatus and have started going to the gym at least twice a week. I already feel better and quicker during boxing. The problem is I have a big weekend coming up with friends from all over the country popping down. Its going to be messy but I am resolved to be good with food and hit the gym to work it off.

Has anyone done extensive weight training here?

I have. Building muscle helps raise your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), this will help in burning calories. I would 100% include weight training in any plan for fat loss.

Anyone got any questions they want answering let me know and i will try and help, i'm a gym instructor and sports therapist.

If you want to lost 10 pounds in a week, this is how you do it. Stick to it religiously, and the weight will come off. To keep it off, you need to exercise and eat properly. It does work, and it's a great way to kick start a fitness regime.

Do what?

If anyone wants to start with a "diet" I'll recommend "The South Beach" diet.

South Beach Diet

The first two weeks might be a bit tough but after that its no problem at all.

I dont know anyone who have tried it without getting great results, if you get some exercise while your on it you can easily lose 8 kg the first month.

Fuck diet plans its all about healthy eating and exercise.

Just cut out fizzy drinks,chocolate,fast food and alcohol and exercise 2 or 3 times a week,aerobic stuff is best I've found,jogging,cycling,rowing machines at gyms are all pretty good for keeping weight off.

Dont be obsessed about your actual weight just make sure you get the exercise in and provided your eating habits are at least semi healthy the weight will come off.

Fuck diet plans its all about healthy eating and exercise.

Just cut out fizzy drinks,chocolate,fast food and alcohol and exercise 2 or 3 times a week,aerobic stuff is best I've found,jogging,cycling,rowing machines at gyms are all pretty good for keeping weight off.

Dont be obsessed about your actual weight just make sure you get the exercise in and provided your eating habits are at least semi healthy the weight will come off.

The South Beach diet is not a diet plan, its not even a diet.