You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

Exercise builds muscle and burns fat. A pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat but, the muscle takes up less space. That's why you can shed fat, weigh the same (or more) and look leaner.

Im not sure what exercise you can do that doesnt build muscle and enable you to burn off the fat. HIIT perhaps but not everyone likes that? If you just want to lose weight and not build muscle, I think it's just a question of reducing your calorific intake and light exercise.

About 5 months ago I spoke at a conference and was watching the video back afterwards and said "this is getting to be a problem."

Don't know why it changed everything, but it did. Basically, I never really cared that I was fat, or I did, but only a little, not enough to actually do anything about it. But watching that video put me over the edge.

So I went searching the internet, found a calorie counter, and plugged in the numbers. I'm really tall, so fortunately that works in my favour. I said that my goal is 110 kg (I had gotten almost to 140 kg at 6'4") - I'm not looking to be thin, or even fit, just not obese, basically.

Doctor suggested losing 2 kg/month as a sustainable target, so when I put that into the machine, it says I can eat the amazing total of 2500 kcal/day! I somehow had been eating around 3200 kcal/day before! Blew my mind how easy it is. Just eat a small breakfast and lunch each day and get home from work with around 900 kcal or so, and I can basically eat anything I want for tea (1600 kcal is a lot of food!).

Down 10 kg so far, about 20 kg left to go, but most importantly, it feels totally sustainable. The very act of recording everything I eat has made me realise I was eating SO much wasted calories before, and all I really have to do is cut out the Coke and sweet snacks, eat a piece of fruit twice a day and a vegetable with every meal and I'm set.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

That's some achievement.  Well done.

Cheers.

I know it is easy to say and might sound a bit arrogant/smug - but it is surprisingly easy IMO.

Just takes a bit of discipline, determination and getting off your arse more.

Pretty much anybody can do it IMO....if they really want it....i reached stage where i really wanted it so i did it.

14 minutes ago, an tha said:

Cheers.

I know it is easy to say and might sound a bit arrogant/smug - but it is surprisingly easy IMO.

Just takes a bit of discipline, determination and getting off your arse more.

Pretty much anybody can do it IMO....if they really want it....i reached stage where i really wanted it so i did it.

I know what you mean, it was the same for me with smoking.  Just get your mind in the right place and it's surprising what is achievable.

2 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

I know what you mean, it was the same for me with smoking.  Just get your mind in the right place and it's surprising what is achievable.

Definitely.

I smoked for 20 years plus.

Used to stand there with one on go like many i am sure have many times moaning how it was a dirty habit and how need to stop as it costs a fortune and will kill me - then finish it, and light up another almost straight away.

Only when i really, really wanted to give it up and meant it did i.

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Just went to a BBQ and ate more food than a man my size should be able to put away. Also drank four Leffe’s, one Hoegaardon and now I’m home on the Blue Moon and Erdingers. 

It’s a real mystery, how I’m finding it difficult to shift the weight. 

Shit in a phone box. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahahaha  "I'm on the wrong tube because I'm a stubborn twat" 

I made it home by 11am on the Sunday, mate. Don’t understand why you keep going on about it. 

First time I’ve drank since Christmas tonight. I’ve made ‘the’ phone call and got my mate coming round. Might do a quick 80k on the bike. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I made it home by 11am on the Sunday, mate. Don’t understand why you keep going on about it. 

First time I’ve drank since Christmas tonight. I’ve made ‘the’ phone call and got my mate coming round. Might do a quick 80k on the bike. 

I was only suggesting a way to lose weight you fat twat. (you nearly ended up staying at mine, or Pidges which would have taken some explaining to your missus "err yeah I'm in Devon fuck off" ) 

Haha no you haven't, ffs. Swerve that shit mate 

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Just went to a BBQ and ate more food than a man my size should be able to put away. Also drank four Leffe’s, one Hoegaardon and now I’m home on the Blue Moon and Erdingers. 

It’s a real mystery, how I’m finding it difficult to shift the weight. 

Booze is a real killer in the calorie count, for sure.

Like I said, just the simple act of recording everything I ate/drank made me realise how many empty calories I was drinking. You start to enter it in and you start thinking "do I want a kebab and a diet coke or a salad and a pint?" and for me, I always prefer the former.

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Fucking would-be Oxbridge holiday alcoholic.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know a good app for mapping a walk that you can set up for interval times. I used to use  one but can't remember what it was. I found map my walk to be inaccurate when used. The same walk could be 4 miles or 2.5 depending on the day. I'd like to get times every half mile