You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

The main issue I have sticking to a strength training program. I have this week started Doing stronglifts 5x5 as I like the idea of it and it seems achievable (starting very light to get the correct form) but motivation has always been a problem for me when training alone if I’m honest I just need to build that consistency.

hopefully when the gyms reopen I can go back to CrossFit as the one I went to didn’t have too many of the stereotypes as the time of the class i usually went to were very varied age wise and mostly a little bit older than me and the ‘coach’ is pretty normal with more focus on doing the exercise correctly or adapting for injuries.

56 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

The main issue I have sticking to a strength training program. I have this week started Doing stronglifts 5x5 as I like the idea of it and it seems achievable (starting very light to get the correct form) but motivation has always been a problem for me when training alone if I’m honest I just need to build that consistency.

hopefully when the gyms reopen I can go back to CrossFit as the one I went to didn’t have too many of the stereotypes as the time of the class i usually went to were very varied age wise and mostly a little bit older than me and the ‘coach’ is pretty normal with more focus on doing the exercise correctly or adapting for injuries.

It boils down to consistently, do the same shit everyday for a period of time and you'll get results. Obviously, injuries, genetics and age plays a massive part to.

I always admire the older blokes who are in great shape without the use of steroids, takes some real effort that and luck (Injury wise).

• Upvote 2

I've lost 3 stone since Jan 1st by doing intermittent fasting/one meal a day along with running every other day and weight training (just dumbells and a barbell no other fancy stuff)

Cut out all shite so had no chocolate/biscuits crisps etc at all and knocked fizzy drinks on head (was a pepsi max addict) no ale either.

Only drink water and eat a lot of protein.

Typical week of eating would be:

Mon (weights day) - 3 boiled eggs and a small tin of tuna for lunch, couple of chicken breasts with loads of veg for tea.

Tue (running day) - Nothing until tea time then couple of chicken breasts with loads of veg for tea followed by no fat greek yoghurt with an apple and a satsuma.

Weds (weights) - same as Monday

Thurs (running)- same as Tuesday

Fri (weights)- same as Monday

Sat (running) - Nothing until tea time....Sat is 'cheat day' so will have a takeaway - chippy tea, or pizza or Indian or Chinese for tea.

Sun (weights) - Nothing until tea time which is usually a Sunday roast (beef or chicken)

Never been arsed about breakfast. If I  hungry in morning (and it is rare i am) i'll make porridge (50g of rolled oats with about half a pint of semi skimmed) Reckon i have had it 3 times in 3 months!

The chicken breasts have Mon - Fri we stop from being boring by doing as a curry, or on skewers like a kebab, or as peri peri etc etc...but always with a load of veg, mainly a mix of broccoli/cauliflower/butter beans/black beans/kidney beans/spinach/kale/peas/carrots.

One or two of the 5 days Mon - Fri add to meal a small amount of potatoes.

Down about 2.5 - 3 litres of water a day.

It might look like a boring diet, but i find it sound and once got a week or two into it and started to see weight come off the motivation to stick with it takes over.

I was 16st 9lbs on new years day.

I am 13st 7lbs now.

• Upvote 6

I don't know what a stone is (something like 6 kg if memory serves?) but at my height I should be about 100 kg (I'm really tall) and I'm way, way over. Like, 30 kg or something.

I've started keeping track of all my calorie intake and biking home from work 3x/week. I have the wife drop me off with my bike and then ride home at the end of the day (can't see how people bike TO work; I'd be a sweaty mess all day). The good thing is that at my size, it's like 3200 calories/day to maintain my weight, so I can still eat 2500 and lose weight.

I'd love to lose it all at once but right now I'm on pace for about 2kg/month, which is probably healthy and something I can maintain. Hope I can keep it going! Definitely enjoying how much easier it is on the bike - the first few times the 10k ride about killed me, now it feels pretty easy.

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I don't know what a stone is (something like 6 kg if memory serves?) but at my height I should be about 100 kg (I'm really tall) and I'm way, way over. Like, 30 kg or something.

I've started keeping track of all my calorie intake and biking home from work 3x/week. I have the wife drop me off with my bike and then ride home at the end of the day (can't see how people bike TO work; I'd be a sweaty mess all day). The good thing is that at my size, it's like 3200 calories/day to maintain my weight, so I can still eat 2500 and lose weight.

I'd love to lose it all at once but right now I'm on pace for about 2kg/month, which is probably healthy and something I can maintain. Hope I can keep it going! Definitely enjoying how much easier it is on the bike - the first few times the 10k ride about killed me, now it feels pretty easy.

Yeah a stone is 14lb or 6.35kg

Sounds good what you are doing.

9 hours ago, an tha said:

I've lost 3 stone since Jan 1st by doing intermittent fasting/one meal a day along with running every other day and weight training (just dumbells and a barbell no other fancy stuff)

Cut out all shite so had no chocolate/biscuits crisps etc at all and knocked fizzy drinks on head (was a pepsi max addict) no ale either.

Only drink water and eat a lot of protein.

Typical week of eating would be:

Mon (weights day) - 3 boiled eggs and a small tin of tuna for lunch, couple of chicken breasts with loads of veg for tea.

Tue (running day) - Nothing until tea time then couple of chicken breasts with loads of veg for tea followed by no fat greek yoghurt with an apple and a satsuma.

Weds (weights) - same as Monday

Thurs (running)- same as Tuesday

Fri (weights)- same as Monday

Sat (running) - Nothing until tea time....Sat is 'cheat day' so will have a takeaway - chippy tea, or pizza or Indian or Chinese for tea.

Sun (weights) - Nothing until tea time which is usually a Sunday roast (beef or chicken)

Never been arsed about breakfast. If I  hungry in morning (and it is rare i am) i'll make porridge (50g of rolled oats with about half a pint of semi skimmed) Reckon i have had it 3 times in 3 months!

The chicken breasts have Mon - Fri we stop from being boring by doing as a curry, or on skewers like a kebab, or as peri peri etc etc...but always with a load of veg, mainly a mix of broccoli/cauliflower/butter beans/black beans/kidney beans/spinach/kale/peas/carrots.

One or two of the 5 days Mon - Fri add to meal a small amount of potatoes.

Down about 2.5 - 3 litres of water a day.

It might look like a boring diet, but i find it sound and once got a week or two into it and started to see weight come off the motivation to stick with it takes over.

I was 16st 9lbs on new years day.

I am 13st 7lbs now.

That's brilliant mate.

This is similar to what i'm looking to do too, i'm just touching 16 st so i want to get down to 13 also. My plan will take longer as i don't think i can go to the extremes of one meal a day, i'm looking at a window between 10am-6pm where i have a breakfast/brunch and then an evening meal. I started running again together with long walks with the dogs and will alternate that with cycling a decent distance.  I stopped drinking at Xmas but i have deffo over enjoyed the Pepsi Max too so my main starters from today are jibbing fizzy drinks off, i had black coffee this morning to wipe out any hunger pangs and going forward its going to be cutting down the portion size, keeping an eye on what i actually eat and keeping the exercise up daily.  

On 03/02/2021 at 07:15, Paulie Dangerously said:

My weights crept up and up the last year. I'm now approaching 16st which I cannot abide as I am a disgusting  fat-body.

Restricting calories to 2k a day and started the Men's Fitness App which is increasing amounts of Hiit training a day.

Down to 14st5 now. 

Been sticking to about 1500 calories a day. Typical day when working looks like:

Breakfast- 150g fat free greek yogurt with any 2 of banana/apple/blueberries in

Dinner- a Huel* shake and some fruit

Tea - protein and veg with limited carbs

Snacks are fruit or things like wasabi peas. Weighing things out helps. 

Weekends I'm a bit more lazy but keep the same breakfast. 

Also discovered feeling hungry for an hour isn't the end of the world. 

Been using Ring Fit as much as I can and taking 5k walks with the dog or alone. When I'm in school I walk about 5 miles a day without realising it so trying to keep that up on the holidays. Got a fitbit for my birthday which is more accurate for tracking my exercise, sleep and calories etc 

*Huel is boss by the way. Nice thick milkshake and keeps you filled up. Probably have a referral code if anyone wants to give it a go. 

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

This was my greatest discovery during successful weight loss. Its harder to 'remember' when working from home during the pandemic, but I'm going to try.

That is the big one for me. If busy I can go right through lunch without even thinking, if bored I can happily have healthy snack after healthy snack.

My meals are all pretty sensible apart from too many carbs, but it is the unnecessary snacking that does me in.

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

That's brilliant mate.

This is similar to what i'm looking to do too, i'm just touching 16 st so i want to get down to 13 also. My plan will take longer as i don't think i can go to the extremes of one meal a day, i'm looking at a window between 10am-6pm where i have a breakfast/brunch and then an evening meal. I started running again together with long walks with the dogs and will alternate that with cycling a decent distance.  I stopped drinking at Xmas but i have deffo over enjoyed the Pepsi Max too so my main starters from today are jibbing fizzy drinks off, i had black coffee this morning to wipe out any hunger pangs and going forward its going to be cutting down the portion size, keeping an eye on what i actually eat and keeping the exercise up daily.  

Good luck with it, once you get rolling its easier than you might think and momentum carries you.

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

This was my greatest discovery during successful weight loss. Its harder to 'remember' when working from home during the pandemic, but I'm going to try.

55 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

That is the big one for me. If busy I can go right through lunch without even thinking, if bored I can happily have healthy snack after healthy snack.

My meals are all pretty sensible apart from too many carbs, but it is the unnecessary snacking that does me in.

Yup to both. 

When teaching, I won't eat from 7 until 12.45 except maybe an apple at break. I might get a rumble and realise I'm hungry but so fucking what? We don't need to graze all of our waking hours. 

At home it's more difficult. I find using an app to keep track of what I eat is the best thing for this.

19 hours ago, JagSquared said:

Stronglifts 5x5 beats you up pretty quickly. I'd recommend either the Novice Linear Progression by Starting Strength (or Barbell Logic), or the Beginner Prescription by Barbell Medicine. 

Stronglifts was put together by some chancer (Medhi?) whereas the others have been put together by experienced lifters. They also all have YouTube channels to get the form correct. 

Plus, 5 sets of 5 takes forever.

But you're right - consistency is key. You just need to do the work, 3 times a week, every week, and not jump from one programme to the next.

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Down to 14st5 now. 

Been sticking to about 1500 calories a day. Typical day when working looks like:

Been using Ring Fit as much as I can and taking 5k walks with the dog or alone. When I'm in school I walk about 5 miles a day without realising it so trying to keep that up on the holidays. Got a fitbit for my birthday which is more accurate for tracking my exercise, sleep and calories etc 

*Huel is boss by the way. Nice thick milkshake and keeps you filled up. Probably have a referral code if anyone wants to give it a go. 

What were you to begin with mate? I can see you have lost some weight, clearly, but i don't remember you being massive to begin with.

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Down to 14st5 now. 

I've been looking at something like the Huel for a while but not sure I can give up my daily allocation of cheese for my dinner. How expensive is it?

28 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Stronglifts 5x5 beats you up pretty quickly. I'd recommend either the Novice Linear Progression by Starting Strength (or Barbell Logic), or the Beginner Prescription by Barbell Medicine. 

Stronglifts was put together by some chancer (Medhi?) whereas the others have been put together by experienced lifters. They also all have YouTube channels to get the form correct. 

Plus, 5 sets of 5 takes forever.

But you're right - consistency is key. You just need to do the work, 3 times a week, every week, and not jump from one programme to the next.

Yeah I’m not exactly a novice to weight training it’s just mostly been training with others and has been a while since I did it properly.

I do like that stronglifts does the main muscle groups and importantly makes me train more consistently time isn’t much of an issue for me as I can train at home until I need more weights. main point for me would be getting bit routine again so I can switch it up later.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

What were you to begin with mate? I can see you have lost some weight, clearly, but i don't remember you being massive to begin with.

I was pretty much 16 at the turn of the year after lockdown and being a lazy glutton. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

I've been looking at something like the Huel for a while but not sure I can give up my daily allocation of cheese for my dinner. How expensive is it?

It's 40 for 2 bags. First order gets you a shaker and that. Each bag has enough for 36 meals. Coffee and banana flavours are sound, chocolate is a bit meh. I find they fill me up from dinner until tea time and they're quick to make. 

I use coconut drink (not coconut milk, like the plant based coconut drinks you get in aldi or Alpro if yours a millionaire) instead of cow juice. Means the think is about 500 calories. I started using them as just a way of counting calories. 

• Upvote 1

All about different strokes and all that and we all see it differently/are different....but for me these huel etc things are a rip off and unnecessary.

Nothing they offer that you can't get from simply eating cleaner and eating less shite and just cutting back amount of calories you eat.

You can buy a lot of boss food you can enjoy in the asda for cost of 2 bags of that stuff.

4 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I was pretty much 16 at the turn of the year after lockdown and being a lazy glutton. 

It's 40 for 2 bags. First order gets you a shaker and that. Each bag has enough for 36 meals. Coffee and banana flavours are sound, chocolate is a bit meh. I find they fill me up from dinner until tea time and they're quick to make. 

I use coconut drink (not coconut milk, like the plant based coconut drinks you get in aldi or Alpro if yours a millionaire) instead of cow juice. Means the think is about 500 calories. I started using them as just a way of counting calories. 

Do you still get those simply cook packs? They were usually pretty healthy 

• 1 month later...
On 03/02/2021 at 07:15, Paulie Dangerously said:

My weights crept up and up the last year. I'm now approaching 16st which I cannot abide as I am a disgusting  fat-body.

Restricting calories to 2k a day and started the Men's Fitness App which is increasing amounts of Hiit training a day.

13st 10 today. 

Haven't been under 13st since I was in my 20s I don't think. 

Exercise went out the window when I got into the swing of school again but I do so much walking when I'm there that it hasn't had an impact. 

Generally having about 1500 ckals a day. 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, fruit for snack, huel and a bit of fruit for lunch and a normal dinner. Weekends I have a takeaway or oven pizza and a few drinks. 

• Upvote 7

• 1 month later...
Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

I did 45k on my exercise bike at the weekend and put on two pounds. I painted the kitchen on Monday, six hours solid graft, most of it with sweat literally dripping off me, and put on two more. I’m now scared to get on the scales. 

How's your diet been? That's what makes the difference.