You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

58 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Sound advice, but step 2 is a biggie:

Once you've eaten all your calories for the day, how do you stop food entering your mouth?

Just get a bit creative.

Stretch your calories out across the day and schedule what you do around it. So if you have a sweet tooth and tend to have something sugary after your tea, go for your hour walk straight after your tea. You’ll find then that by the time you get home you won’t be hungry any more meaning what you were going to have for afters, you can have at some point before you go to bed.

Shit like that.

Finished the ' couch to 5k 'plan yesterday, and managed to lose over a stone along the way without a massive dieting frenzy, just cutting chocolate and cakes down mainly.

Will have to make sure I get a plan in place so it doesn't slide like when the gym closed in the first lockdown

• Upvote 1

Started a home gym.

Bought an Olympic barbell, a small number of bumper plates (already have a couple I've previously acquired), and an adjustable bench.

Still need to buy a rack and flooring for the garage. And probably a portable heater. 

Already shelled out £400, and will probably have to pay out another £300, which is sobering. 

I've been lifting weights for about four years. But since March it's been completely torpedoed. The possibility of further gym close downs has forced my hand.

These gym equipment companies are making money hand over fist at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Ive found a great low carb plan, by trial and error.

ive gone from 100kgs to 83kg in the last 9 months, with nothing but a bit of rebounding and 1 x 1 minute plank a day, as well as walking the dog in the evening.

No bread. Which means little or no butter. Cooking with Ghee and using EV Olive Oil on salads.

100 grams of carbs a day including POTATO (but only 1 medium spud a day.) which I have at breakfast by simply grating the spud, skin and all, dropping in the frypan (ghee added) then sprinkling whatever seasoning I want. Fry both sides (grated potato goes mushy and sticks together).

eaten with a side of streaky bacon, fried tomatoes & eggs scrambled with spinach.

That usually does me until a 2-3pm snack.

Low carb dinner, followed by 2 x squares dark choc, finish eating by 7pm. 12 hr time restricted.

Great energy thru the day.

you’re welcome.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Red Shift said:

Ive found a great low carb plan, by trial and error.

ive gone from 100kgs to 83kg in the last 9 months, with nothing but a bit of rebounding and 1 x 1 minute plank a day, as well as walking the dog in the evening.

No bread. Which means little or no butter. Cooking with Ghee and using EV Olive Oil on salads.

100 grams of carbs a day including POTATO (but only 1 medium spud a day.) which I have at breakfast by simply grating the spud, skin and all, dropping in the frypan (ghee added) then sprinkling whatever seasoning I want. Fry both sides (grated potato goes mushy and sticks together).

eaten with a side of streaky bacon, fried tomatoes & eggs scrambled with spinach.

That usually does me until a 2-3pm snack.

Low carb dinner, followed by 2 x squares dark choc, finish eating by 7pm. 12 hr time restricted.

Great energy thru the day.

you’re welcome.

Congratulations on losing weight, but no bread and so few potatoes sounds shite.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Congratulations on losing weight, but no bread and so few potatoes sounds shite.

The bread was the hardest, but honestly, after about 3 weeks the bread cravings simply disappeared - as long as I include that single daily potato and don’t reduce my carbs below the max allowed.

The more I restrict myself, the more likely I am to crave. 

5 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

This is what it always boils down to for me.

I mean, I'd love to have six-pack abs, or at least to be reasonably fit and not look like such a lard-arse. But I also love to eat, especially carbs. And while I've heard the saying "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" I have to say it's absolutely not true.

It actually makes me feel rather sorry for whoever came up with it as a saying. You've never had anything to eat that you enjoyed as much as you enjoy being thin? What a horrible way to live!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is what it always boils down to for me.

I mean, I'd love to have six-pack abs, or at least to be reasonably fit and not look like such a lard-arse. But I also love to eat, especially carbs. And while I've heard the saying "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" I have to say it's absolutely not true.

It actually makes me feel rather sorry for whoever came up with it as a saying. You've never had anything to eat that you enjoyed as much as you enjoy being thin? What a horrible way to live!

I know exactly what you mean, but for me, I was confronted with a choice.

I hit 100kg just as I turned 60 (that bloody 60th b’day party, no doubt ha!). I was already on blood pressure meds (lowest dose) but when I turned up to my GP for a routine check, my blood pressure was going up and a blood test showed I was in the ‘pre diabetic’ range.

I got NO advice on how to approach the pre-d, and he wanted to increase my BP meds and ADD a statin, for cholesterol. I refused. In that moment, I imagined a slippery slope to the exact place both my parents had been in. The shit they put up with before they finally found rest, and I thought ‘nope, not me’. I asked my GP a straight up question: ‘what do I have to do to avoid more meds’ and he gave me a straight up answer : ‘lose at least 15kg and get fitter’

So that’s what I did. At 62, my blood pressure is under control (same dose) and my blood sugar is now completely normal. I’m 83kg and my target weight is about 82kg, but with more muscle, which I’m now capable of working on, having gone from being sedentary, to being moderately aerobically fit.

• Upvote 2

Genuine question: is it worth it?

What I mean is, I can see there are obvious benefits if I were to lose some weight. But do those benefits outweigh the cost of being constantly hungry for the rest of my life? Of having to be borderline obsessive about every calorie or finding a healthy option every meal or snack?

I have successfully lost weight for a time on several occasions. But as soon as that iron discipline, the constant state of hunger, and the vigilance slips, I'm right back to what I was. And I don't know if I can live with doing that for the next 25+ years. I'm not even sure that I really want to. I'm not being flippant here, either. I'm genuinely curious what you think.

16 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

What I mean is, I can see there are obvious benefits if I were to lose some weight. But do those benefits outweigh the cost of being constantly hungry for the rest of my life? Of having to be borderline obsessive about every calorie or finding a healthy option every meal or snack?

I have successfully lost weight for a time on several occasions. But as soon as that iron discipline, the constant state of hunger, and the vigilance slips, I'm right back to what I was. And I don't know if I can live with doing that for the next 25+ years. I'm not even sure that I really want to. I'm not being flippant here, either. I'm genuinely curious what you think.

It’s incredibly personal, this sort of decision. Me? I have to realistically weigh up how long I want to be around with ‘quality of life’. My old ‘walk’ would have been a heart attack or stroke within 5 yrs according to my GP. Now, that’s not necessarily a killer punch, however, I’ve seen that doco ‘The Widow maker’ and I can’t unsee it. For most heart attack victims, death is the 1st and only sign.

like I say, I’ve adapted to what I call ‘real’ food, feel great and the cravings are mostly gone. I still have a glass of wine on weekends, still occasionally indulge in a sweet treat, like an ice cream, or a pie, but for 95% of the time, I stick with it comfortably.

15 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

NMI, I am similar to you in that I have yo-yoed for years , usually losing it for holidays and then putting it on as soon as I stopped the discipline. I admire Red Shifts brilliant effort but couldn't do that carbs thing  myself. I have made a better effort this time basically keeping to three bits of advice from a trainer at the gym.

- making sure I do more exercise

- working out what my two worst vices were ( sweet stuff and pies/sausages for me ) and trying to cut them at least in half.

- Trying a version of the 5:2 where you pick a certain lower fat or calorie aim on any ( not consecutive ) two days of the week to give your weight loss a kick.

Won't lose it as fast as Reddy , but I am fitter and don't really feel hungry or anything like that and lost a stone in about 9  or 10 weeks.

On 03/11/2020 at 20:05, Ne Moe Imya said:

If you change your diet correctly there should be no reason to be hungry all the time as your satiation levels adapt. 

I say this like I'm some health guru who couldn't do with losing several kgs himself.