You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

I pay £5 a month for a Nuffield Health club and that includes all classes as well. 

Based on work benefits?  They're £47-55 per month round my way.

edit: that explains it. Can you ask if she knows anyone from the Crawley or Guildford branch?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2020 at 22:17, JohnnyH said:

Yeah, I piled on the weight over the first 6 weeks of lockdown, and I’d already put on too much weight as it was. So I gave up the booze almost 5 weeks ago and have been eating healthily and doing sporadic exercise (hard to do when you’ve a 2 and a 1 year old at home) and have so far lost 31lbs. Another stone and a half and I’ll be fighting fit again. 

On 16/06/2020 at 23:03, JohnnyH said:

I’d gone up to almost 19 stone.  I was 14.5 stone 5 years ago and was pretty skinny. I’m 6’4 and fairly stocky so 15 stone has me in good nick. I’ll be back to that in mid-August by the latest. I’m good at losing weight when I put my mind to it.  In 2010 I lost 8 stone. 

Just to conclude this little story.

I achieved my goal 2 weeks ago and am now 14 stone 11 lbs. So all good. Feeling great and back in all my skinny clothes. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I achieved my goal 2 weeks ago and am now 14 stone 11 lbs. So all good. Feeling great and back in all my skinny clothes. 

Well played mate.

Make sure you maintain the good habits as it can be easy to fall into eating junk once again once the goal has been met.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Well played mate.

Make sure you maintain the good habits as it can be easy to fall into eating junk once again once the goal has been met.

Yeah, that’s key. I’d actually maintained been a chubby twat for about 5 years, and been thin for 6 years before that. it was the first 6 weeks of lockdown where I absolutely ballooned and couldn’t fit in any of my clothes.  So I find maintaining fairly easy. Being a big fella anyway means I’m allowed around 2,500 calories a day which is loads and I struggle to get to most days. 

8 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Yeah, that’s key. I’d actually maintained been a chubby twat for about 5 years, and been thin for 6 years before that. it was the first 6 weeks of lockdown where I absolutely ballooned and couldn’t fit in any of my clothes.  So I find maintaining fairly easy. Being a big fella anyway means I’m allowed around 2,500 calories a day which is loads and I struggle to get to most days. 

Yeah 2,500 a day is quite a lot eating mostly healthy with a few treats thrown in.

• 2 months later...

I've been fairly fit for most of my adult life, always been on the slighter side so there's never been much need to watch what I eat or how much i drink. 6 months of lockdown in Melbourne has put paid to that. I've managed to pack on 25kg(55lbs or 4 stone for the metrically challenged) in just a shade over 6 months.

I've been fortunate enough not to lose my job but a combination of working from home and excessive alcohol consumption + takeaways has caused me to balloon to my largest ever size. Looked in the mirror for the first time in months today and realised I've now got a fat gut and moobs that would make Kelly Brook blush.

Having read through a few resources online and skimmed a few pages on here I think I may give this intermittent fasting thing a go, seems easy enough to wrap my head around unlike the likes keto which look like they may require a bit more effort. Just putting this down here to keep myself somewhat accountable.

• Upvote 3

I find the easiest way to control my weight is to track calories via myfitnesspal. You just create the meals that you tend to eat and then whack them in as you go. It’s fairly time consuming at the start but once your meals are in there it takes seconds to log what you’re eating.

It won’t work for everyone as we’re all different but I find that it works for me. Without it, I find myself eating all kinds of random shit without even thinking about it and my weight/shape can get out of hand.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I find the easiest way to control my weight is to track calories via myfitnesspal. You just create the meals that you tend to eat and then whack them in as you go. It’s fairly time consuming at the start but once your meals are in there it takes seconds to log what you’re eating.

It won’t work for everyone as we’re all different but I find that it works for me. Without it, I find myself eating all kinds of random shit without even thinking about it and my weight/shape can get out of hand.

Definitely the best way.

I am quite lucky that I can eat loads of shite and don't put on much more than about 7lbs but when I do, myfitnesspal helps to trim off the excess weight pronto. The only problem with it is that you still eat a fairly unhealthy diet and still lose weight.

I'm going for the whole food approach at the moment for health reasons as I've pretty much neglected fruit and veg my entire life (I have it, just not much). So I'm eating 4 portions of fruit a day, lots of veg with my evening meal, which always includes one variety of potatoes with skin on. Plenty of fish, chicken thighs but I'm sacking off the red meat. Handful of cashews a day as well and a few litres of water. I still snack but longetivity wise, I can make this a way of life easily.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Elite said:

Definitely the best way.

I am quite lucky that I can eat loads of shite and don't put on much more than about 7lbs but when I do, myfitnesspal helps to trim off the excess weight pronto. The only problem with it is that you still eat a fairly unhealthy diet and still lose weight.

I'm going for the whole food approach at the moment for health reasons as I've pretty much neglected fruit and veg my entire life (I have it, just not much). So I'm eating 4 portions of fruit a day, lots of veg with my evening meal, which always includes one variety of potatoes with skin on. Plenty of fish, chicken thighs but I'm sacking off the red meat. Handful of cashews a day as well and a few litres of water. I still snack but longetivity wise, I can make this a way of life easily.

You're right that just tracking calories doesn't necessarily mean you're eating a varied diet. I could probably eat more fruit and veg but there becomes a point where the tracking/planning gets so intense that you can lose the motivation/energy to keep doing it, and then you start to slack a bit.

I personally try to focus on eating plenty of homemade food and keeping a lid on the calories overall. My diet isn't perfect by any means but it's better than it could be, that's for sure.

18 minutes ago, Brownie said:

You're right that just tracking calories doesn't necessarily mean you're eating a varied diet. I could probably eat more fruit and veg but there becomes a point where the tracking/planning gets so intense that you can lose the motivation/energy to keep doing it, and then you start to slack a bit.

I personally try to focus on eating plenty of homemade food and keeping a lid on the calories overall. My diet isn't perfect by any means but it's better than it could be, that's for sure.

The second paragraph is the point for me. It's got to be sustainable long-term or you just fall back into old habits. I'm using the eat well plate as my foundation but I'm not going to restrict myself, so will still have a few beers watching the game, a takeaway once a week and a few bars of chocolate/crisps every day. 

The recent passing of my sister-in-law (although not due to weight related issues) has given me a bit of a kick up the arse to try and get a bit healthier. 

I've dropped 23 lbs in just over 3 months. Had a few bad, nibbling days over the past week, but back on it now as still want to drop another couple of stone, ideally. 

Using MyFitnessPal, in a typical week I've been doing three days of 2000 calories, three of 1700 calories and one of 1800 calories. I've only been eating a bit healthier, but still have most of the old stuff I ate. Just less of it. And less grazing in between meals. Crisps are my weakness though. 

Exercise wise, I've got an exercise bike at home, so do 20 minutes every other day on that, plus about 15 minutes of daily walking. Plus, I do two bigger walks a week, about 6k or 7k each. I love a good walk. Get the noise cancelling headphones on and just switch off. Been doing two laps of Sefton Park or from the Albert Dock right along the front to the festival gardens and then cut through them to get home. 

Onwards and upwards (or, downwards, hopefully, scales wise!) 

• Upvote 4

On 23/08/2020 at 12:16, JohnnyH said:

Well done. I haven't lost as much as you. But, that's been the best bit with what I have lost, being able to get into old clothes that fit again. Including my boss leather jacket! 

10 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The recent passing of my sister-in-law (although not due to weight related issues) has given me a bit of a kick up the arse to try and get a bit healthier. 

I've dropped 23 lbs in just over 3 months. Had a few bad, nibbling days over the past week, but back on it now as still want to drop another couple of stone, ideally. 

Using MyFitnessPal, in a typical week I've been doing three days of 2000 calories, three of 1700 calories and one of 1800 calories. I've only been eating a bit healthier, but still have most of the old stuff I ate. Just less of it. And less grazing in between meals. Crisps are my weakness though. 

Exercise wise, I've got an exercise bike at home, so do 20 minutes every other day on that, plus about 15 minutes of daily walking. Plus, I do two bigger walks a week, about 6k or 7k each. I love a good walk. Get the noise cancelling headphones on and just switch off. Been doing two laps of Sefton Park or from the Albert Dock right along the front to the festival gardens and then cut through them to get home. 

Onwards and upwards (or, downwards, hopefully, scales wise!) 

Well done mate, that's great to hear.

I don't do any cardio at all, but I walk over 10k steps every day. Keep an eye on your calories and one 3 mile walk a day (takes about an hour) and you're laughing.

In my experience, most people who are overweight, have specific habits in their diet, personal to them which are causing the weight gain. It can be as simple, (I'm not saying easy), as identifying what your specific issues are and changing those particular habits. For instance, one of the things for me was that I got lazy/haphazard with taking my lunch to work, but if I went out to get something, I couldn't just buy a sandwich, I'd come out of Morrisons with a meal deal including a millionaire shortbread and an extra steak pie. Just by being more vigilant in taking my own lunch made a massive difference without apps and counting anything. Just identifying my own weaknesses and addressing them.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

In my experience, most people who are overweight, have specific habits in their diet, personal to them which are causing the weight gain. It can be as simple, (I'm not saying easy), as identifying what your specific issues are and changing those particular habits. For instance, one of the things for me was that I got lazy/haphazard with taking my lunch to work, but if I went out to get something, I couldn't just buy a sandwich, I'd come out of Morrisons with a meal deal including a millionaire shortbread and an extra steak pie. Just by being more vigilant in taking my own lunch made a massive difference without apps and counting anything. Just identifying my own weaknesses and addressing them.

My problem was, I was addicted to food. I replaced ale with food. At my heaviest, I was 20 stone. I lost 6 stone in about 6 months in 2015, and carried on the following year.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Started running with two mates near me. Getting fitter and faster, but haven't lost any weight, because foods. Fuck sake.

Yup I've been running pretty consistently now since the start of lockdown every day, but the amount of fat I'm carrying has skyrocketed as my job is now more sedentary and my food intake has increased. 

Outwith smoking and chewing gum do people have any other ways of controlling food/calorie intake?

I think I may need to change my route to work as there are shops on the way that tempt me in,