You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

19 hours ago, Aw Geez said:

Doing keto again myself, kind of spliced with IF, although not super strict. Basically no bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc. I don't give a shit about the carbs in veg, I'm basically eating meat and a shit load of veg twice a day (black coffee for breakfast).

Exactly the same.

Have gained the guts of 2 stones since lockdown, and I was already plump before that.. Even started drinking at home, which I'd normallly never do. Got into an awful habit of eating "normally" during the day, then when everyone was gone to bed, stuffing myself with chocolate, crisps and ice-cream! I must've been eating over 3,000 calories just before going to bed on top of what I ate during the day. Plus zero excerise since footie was cancelled.

So at the minute I'm alternating between fast day (with salts) and keto day. If I can't make it the full fasting day, I have something small that's keto friendly.

The salts have made a big difference. Very little fatigue and no "keto flu".

I've a ferocious sweet tooth, so the keto can be a bit of a challenge. I always keep a lash of Coke Zero in the fridge, and I've a stash of Grenade Carb Killa bars on hand. Both of them satiate my sweet-toothedness.

Holiday to Spain has been cancelled, so only goal left is be in decent nick for the yummy mummies when the kids go back to school in September.

Hoping to be down a few stone.

Fat cunt.

• Upvote 2

Almost finished reading "How not to diet" by Michael Greger - he's making no money from the book so he's not promoting any particular products.

His website is here https://nutritionfacts.org/

This is long but covers much of the book https://nutritionfacts.org/audio/evidence-based-weight-loss/

Those of you on a keto diet really ought to listen to his podcast on it: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-keto-diets-safe/

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mars said:

Almost finished reading "How not to diet" by Michael Greger - he's making no money from the book so he's not promoting any particular products.

This is long but covers much of the book https://nutritionfacts.org/audio/evidence-based-weight-loss/

Those of you on a keto diet really ought to listen to his podcast on it: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-keto-diets-safe/

Thanks for that. My blood pressure is quite high at the moment, so it should tie in nicely with losing about a stone as well.

1 hour ago, mars said:

I’d also recommend looking at the Keto Science subreddit where there are hundreds of studies and research papers. Just for some balance, then make your own mind up. 

He’s quite a controversial figure. 

7 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I feel like this may end up with me in a KFC. 

Pizza Hut was closer to the venue. 

Bit of an online scrap during ealry days of lockdown resluted in a plan of two forumites to meet in Berlin and settle it mano a mano (after a pizza of course).

We've being trying to build a decent undercard but going by this thread all the welter/middle weights are now basically Butterbean and quite honestly we'll just end up eating oily shite pizza and fall asleep. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Pizza Hut was closer to the venue. 

Bit of an online scrap during ealry days of lockdown resluted in a plan of two forumites to meet in Berlin and settle it mano a mano (after a pizza of course).

We've being trying to build a decent undercard but going by this thread all the welter/middle weights are now basically Butterbean and quite honestly we'll just end up eating oily shite pizza and fall asleep. 

I like pizza and falling asleep?

• Upvote 1

My right knee and both ankles and lower back (from time to time) are fucked so decided walking to work and back will do for exercise. Its 4.6 miles each way so I'm doing over 10 miles a day

Nabbed a few pictures on the way home this morning(between 05:30-06:30)

Herd of cows(there is a herd of 30 cattle left wild between April and October to naturally manage the fertilizing and eating of the grass) , a few dozen rabbits spotted. 

Its a nice walk, resembles something of a fantasy setting from a book during the early mornings with the mist rising. 

IMG_20200623_053402.jpg

IMG_20200623_053742.jpg

IMG_20200623_054002.jpg

IMG_20200623_054525.jpg

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Does Ketogenic deffo work?

I found it helped. 

Need to start again, I don't follow it exactly just very low carb, don't bother with checks. Intermittent fasting I found best

That’s the only thing I miss about not going to the office - the 35 minute walk there and back which was definitely helping my weight/fitness. It’s all uphill on the way so I always arrived very hot and there was no air conditioning in the office. So I’m pleased in one way I’m not doing that in this heat. The exercise did help though.

I just know they’ll tell me to go back in when I have to leave home in the dark- I hated that.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Does Ketogenic deffo work?

Well, yes it does work but it 1) is not some magic switch you flip 2) requires knowledge about it to actually do it properly and in a healthy way 3) isn’t required and isn’t for everyone. I think it depends on what your goal is. If you need to knock off 10 or 20 pounds then why bother making your body go through such extreme changes. You can just do some exercise and cut some calories and use IF. If you’re either 100 pounds overweight or you just want to associated health benefits (assuming you know enough to avoid the downsides) then it’s a viable thing. Personally, I tried it because every time I ate bread or sugars, I felt like shit. When I tried it, the energy boost I got from using fats instead of carbs as energy made me feel awesome and the depression I suffered after my mum and dad died eased up dramatically, but now I’ve just cut refined sugars and processed breads out of my diet. I don’t worry about the carbohydrate in vegetables. That means I’m not in keto, but because I prefer to eat twice a day instead of three plus snacks, a lot of the times the carbs I eat are all used anyway, so I have some level of ketogenic process going on regularly. Well, we all do at some point. 

Id say that the fact you asked ‘does it work’ on a football forum is a strong indicator that your not knowledgable enough about it to try it yet. It’s your body, you shouldn’t fuck about with it on a trial and error basis. If you’re going to do it, go to the keto and keto science subreddits and read through those. Personally, I think low carb, low processed bullshit, and more exercise - both cardio and weights/kettlebells - are probably the more sustainable way. That said, different biological and genetic factors between humans means that some things work better for some people than others. So the real answer is... depends. It depends on what you want to use it for and why, it depends on you as a human, and it depends on how you use it. You probably wouldn’t go far wrong with swinging some kettlebells, going for walks/rides, and eating healthy. 

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Piled on weight during lockdown.  Back to to 16st, just 1st below my fattest at 17 which promoted a weight loss push a few years ago. 

Have bought into Huel drinks to do a slim fast style "breakfast lunch and proper meal" effort. My daily breakfast of two homeade doorstop toast with butter and jam wasn't helping. Nor does my lunch at home which is usually fried eggs + whatever, or when I'm in school the hot dinners + chips I get. Hopefully this will help me to stick within sensible carlorie intakes for those meals and with a proper tea, what we usually have at home is relatively healthy, and lose weight. 

Going to pick up C25K again when school finishes as well to see if I can get back to between 14 and 15 stone by the end of the summer holidays. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Found myself at 16.5 stone and Mrs Kurtz gagging when I got undressed so got myself one of those Pelotons. Really good. 30 minutes every day being shouted at by a fit New York instructor does wonders for your waistline. I haven’t lost much weight but I’ve got a lot fitter. Costs about £50 a month which is a lot cheaper than going to the gym. 

A lot cheaper? Most gym are less than that, some less than half.

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Found myself at 16.5 stone and Mrs Kurtz gagging when I got undressed so got myself one of those Pelotons. Really good. 30 minutes every day being shouted at by a fit New York instructor does wonders for your waistline. I haven’t lost much weight but I’ve got a lot fitter. Costs about £50 a month which is a lot cheaper than going to the gym. 

What's your diet like? The old adage is you can't outrun ( or cycle) a bad diet

18 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Yeah but I do it every day. My local gym is about £10 a spin class plus the parking £2 and once I get in from work, I really cant be bothered to go out again. The only downside is it takes up a lot of room. 

It's a good alternative to the gym to be honest. Do you have to hire the bike as well or is it all included in the £50 a month.