You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

1 hour ago, Elite said:

I'm going to use myfitness pal and count calories. Once you get into the habit of it, it becomes easier but it's getting over the cravings early doors that's the hard part.

This.  Been back on it since the start of this month.  A bloody pain to keep logging things at the start, but not too bad when you get into the swing of it.  Always bloody hungry now though.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

How heavy were you mate?  Big weight loss that well done 

I’d gone up to almost 19 stone.  I was 14.5 stone 5 years ago and was pretty skinny. I’m 6’4 and fairly stocky so 15 stone has me in good nick. I’ll be back to that in mid-August by the latest. I’m good at losing weight when I put my mind to it.  In 2010 I lost 8 stone. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I’d gone up to almost 19 stone.  I was 14.5 stone 5 years ago and was pretty skinny. I’m 6’4 and fairly stocky so 15 stone has me in good nick. I’ll be back to that in mid-August by the latest. I’m good at losing weight when I put my mind to it.  In 2010 I lost 8 stone. 

Not too heavy you're a tall bloke. My auntie lives near a fella I know. She got talking to him and he was saying he had lost 17 stone. He has,  gone from 38 stone to 21. She thought he was on the wind up showing off he'd won slimmer of the year 

His Mrs is fit and 10 year younger so fair play

• Upvote 1

Since we moved back to the US last year I've been gaining weight and I've gone from "overweight" to "a properly fat bastard" now.

Not sure about the stones and that but I'm pushing 300 lbs at 6'5". I have to get out of this country. Too much Mexican and Italian food! And not enough walking - you drive everywhere here and about the only exercise anyone gets is the walk from the car park into the shops.

17 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Not too heavy you're a tall bloke. My auntie lives near a fella I know. She got talking to him and he was saying he had lost 17 stone. He has,  gone from 38 stone to 21. She thought he was on the wind up showing off he'd won slimmer of the year 

Is that @Rico1304's work mate?!

12 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Since we moved back to the US last year I've been gaining weight and I've gone from "overweight" to "a properly fat bastard" now.

Not sure about the stones and that but I'm pushing 300 lbs at 6'5". I have to get out of this country. Too much Mexican and Italian food! And not enough walking - you drive everywhere here and about the only exercise anyone gets is the walk from the car park into the shops.

Can you move back to Russia please and go on one of those expeditions in the middle of nowhere and post about it please. 

Has nothing to do with weight loss but would peak my interest 

18 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

(Memo: do not invite to Berlin)

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Did he make her out of excess skin? 

19 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Yeah, I piled on the weight over the first 6 weeks of lockdown, and I’d already put on too much weight as it was. So I gave up the booze almost 5 weeks ago and have been eating healthily and doing sporadic exercise (hard to do when you’ve a 2 and a 1 year old at home) and have so far lost 31lbs. Another stone and a half and I’ll be fighting fit again. 

This was very similar to me - already fat and got fatter due to drinking too much during lockdown, plus the Easter eggs didn't help. Stopped the boozing about 6 weeks ago and have gone from 230 lbs to 214 lbs. Another 20 lbs and I'll be happy.

On 09/03/2020 at 18:12, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Has anybody successfully lost weight whilst being on meds like Hydrocortisone, or Prednisolone, or during adrenal crisis? I've put on loads post-chemo but still got loads of steroids to take.

I'm due to move from the former on to Prednisolone at some point soon, and read somebody on here say they put loads on when they took it. I don't think the changeover will make too much of a difference, having gone from 92kg to 115kg (pre lymphoma), and then 84kg to 124kg post treatment. Doctors say there's nothing to be done, as it's "steroid belly". That does my head in, to be honest, but to a degree it's true - eating is a constant thought, and it's like I've turned into a labrador. 

Exercise is hardly a major factor/ solution at the moment, as still building up from 3000 steps to 8000 steps; so well under pre health problems, but on the right trajectory.

I will get there but it seems like such a long haul. Any success stories would be much appreciated, as a morale boost is sorely needed!

Nothing quite as major mate but I'm currently 4 weeks on to a 12 week prednisolone course, coming off the back of hydrocortisone: it's something I've done probably 5/6 times now in the last 10 years. 

My weight fluctuates between about 58 and 68kgs as "normal" but I've been down as low as 53kg and as high as 70kg that time. I'm only 172cm tall and quite slight! 

Any spell of steroids has caused me to pile it on quite quickly and given that's usually coming off the back of poor health and fatigue and low desire to exercise, it's a poor combination exasperated by comfort eating! I can only recommend anything you'd normally do - light exercise, sensible eating are the key. I tend to find splitting in to 5 smaller meals keeps me fuller for longer during the day and I eat a low residue, high protein, high fluid, high carb diet for a short while to build my reserves and put some weight on.

Typically, when in recovery, I'll start the day with porridge and honey, banana and a piece of toast with penaut butter. Lunch will be a sandwich or pasta, I have a good mid afternoon snack and then a smaller tea.

I find it hard to resist fizzy drinks (in lieu of alcohol) and crisps and it takes me weeks to change my habits. It helps that we grow lots of veg in the garden, it creates a really healthy relationship with food and I enjoy cooking with the produce. 

Good luck with it.

47 minutes ago, Furmedge said:

Done keto for a month, dropped 13 lbs. Wife turned 40 over weekend, put 8lbs back on just looking at cake. And eating it. Had a curry as well but apart from that nothing out of ordinary. Pain in the arse.

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Furmedge said:

Done keto for a month, dropped 13 lbs. Wife turned 40 over weekend, put 8lbs back on just looking at cake. And eating it. Had a curry as well but apart from that nothing out of ordinary. Pain in the arse.

Doing keto again myself, kind of spliced with IF, although not super strict. Basically no bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc. I don't give a shit about the carbs in veg, I'm basically eating meat and a shit load of veg twice a day (black coffee for breakfast).