You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Do you have a recipe? I count calories as well so I need to know how many each serving is.

I couldn’t tell you exactly but if you look on the side of the tubs in the shops you’re talking about 200 a portion.

In a bit of melted better or a spoonful of oil fry an onion and as it’s softening add finely chopped veg, I used carrots, parsnips, sprouts and a small potato and then pour in about a litre of stock, add salt and pepper and cook away until the veg are soft. About 20-30 min

If you’re looking for recipes the BBC website is a great place to start

• Upvote 1

I've been trying out IF in conjunction with keto, or at least as close as I can get to keto, for the last week.

I used to be a very competitive runner and my racing weight would be between 8 and a half to 9 stone. Then I couldn't train like I used to and started working full time and quickly ballooned to 11 stone.

My routine so far has mostly been 20:4 with a fasted cardio workout before I break the fast. I've cut out my usual diet staple of bread and potatos and have been eating meals that are nothing more than leafy greens (lettuce, james, spinach), meat (fried in butter and oil) along with healthy dollops of oil and mayonnaise.

I've also been doing upper body exercises like push ups, triceps dips, pull ups, chin ups and corework to help time up. 

Any tips/success stories/meal ideas are welcome.

9 minutes ago, Em City said:

I've been trying out IF in conjunction with keto, or at least as close as I can get to keto, for the last week.

I used to be a very competitive runner and my racing weight would be between 8 and a half to 9 stone. Then I couldn't train like I used to and started working full time and quickly ballooned to 11 stone.

My routine so far has mostly been 20:4 with a fasted cardio workout before I break the fast. I've cut out my usual diet staple of bread and potatos and have been eating meals that are nothing more than leafy greens (lettuce, james, spinach), meat (fried in butter and oil) along with healthy dollops of oil and mayonnaise.

I've also been doing upper body exercises like push ups, triceps dips, pull ups, chin ups and corework to help time up. 

It's just about consistency mate, simple as that.

@Elite, could you not replace some of the processed meat with fish (grilled/pan fried/cooked in foil in the oven), chicken breast, etc.? Won’t take any longer to cook than sausages and burgers. Regarding veg, could you not have some steamed broccoli, carrots or cauliflower? What about some some lightly pan fried/seared courgette, etc.?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lario said:

@Em City Try destroy your legs in the gym. Will help you a lot more that the upper body stuff.

As for the IF/Keto thing, have you noticed any weightloss? Have you bought ketostix to see if you're in ketosis?

I ran 30 miles on the treadmill last week and I've ran 5 miles on the grass each of the last two days, both off a 20 hour fast, so my legs are getting plenty of work.

I've lost half a stone so far. Have no idea what ketostix are but I'll definitely look into it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

@Elite, could you not replace some of the processed meat with fish (grilled/pan fried/cooked in foil in the oven), chicken breast, etc.? Won’t take any longer to cook than sausages and burgers. Regarding veg, could you not have some steamed broccoli, carrots or cauliflower? What about some some lightly pan fried/seared courgette, etc.?

I am not a massive fan of fish to be honest. I don't mind cod though, could have that with vegetables and a bit of butter.

4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

A balanced diet, or at least eating in moderation, is my preference, but I couldn’t go light on carbs - I like bread, pasta, sweets, etc. way too much.

So do I, Tony, so do I, but for the moment needs must

11 minutes ago, Em City said:

I ran 30 miles on the treadmill last week and I've ran 5 miles on the grass each of the last two days, both off a 20 hour fast, so my legs are getting plenty of work.

I've lost half a stone so far. Have no idea what ketostix are but I'll definitely look into it. 

Ketostix are little yokes that you pass through your piss to tell you if there are ketones in it.

If there are, then you're using fat for fuel.

They're not an exact science, but can give you a good boost when you see you're body's doing what it should.

58 minutes ago, Em City said:

How tall are you? 8 stone sounds underweight and 11 stone sounds pretty normal.

14 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

How tall are you? 8 stone sounds underweight and 11 stone sounds pretty normal.

8.5—9 stone is a pretty ideal weight for running competitively and if he was in good shape at that weight it's understandable why he'd want to return to that. 

I'm 5' 7". 

8.5 stone was my lightest but I was running a lot and doing no exercises whatsoever.

At my best, I was 9/9.25. I was doing less mileage but good quality sessions with loads of arm exercises and looked absolutely shredded. Oh for the return of the glory days.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2019 at 3:32 AM, Em City said:

You don’t need em. If you are losing weight, and restricting carbs, and working out, you are burning fat. It’s that simple.

A good blog on Keto, to get a deeper understanding of the nuts and bolts.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2007/05/22/metabolism-and-ketosis/

On 1/17/2019 at 2:52 AM, Em City said:

Also, I highly recomment Vegan Keto for a healthier lifestyle with your IF.

you can VLR on nuts, seeds, Avocados, coconuts and cruciferous vegetables.

• Upvote 1

Thanks mate.

I did keto for a month but that's fallen by the wayside as I've been vegetarian for the last two weeks. 

It's all been very effective as I've dropped from 70 kg to 62 kg in 6 weeks. I would deffo recommend intermittent fasting to anyone. I started at 16:8 but I've cut it down to a one hour eating window the last few weeks. Oddly enough, I get less hunger pangs than before and I am far more conscientious about getting all the nutrients I need.

1 hour ago, Em City said:

Thanks mate.

I did keto for a month but that's fallen by the wayside as I've been vegetarian for the last two weeks. 

It's all been very effective as I've dropped from 70 kg to 62 kg in 6 weeks. I would deffo recommend intermittent fasting to anyone. I started at 16:8 but I've cut it down to a one hour eating window the last few weeks. Oddly enough, I get less hunger pangs than before and I am far more conscientious about getting all the nutrients I need.

Choice.

36 minutes ago, Elite said:

Calorie counting always works great for me. I'm down 8lbs in 8 weeks. 

Great effort there over a sustained period.

I wish I’d had the nerve to weigh myself at the beginning (tedious hang up) because my clothes tell me I have lost some weight. I just wish now I knew how much

13 minutes ago, Champ said:

Great effort there over a sustained period.

I wish I’d had the nerve to weigh myself at the beginning (tedious hang up) because my clothes tell me I have lost some weight. I just wish now I knew how much

If you want to continue then weigh yourself. Do it first thing in a morning in your underwear as the weight of clothing can be more than you think!

Despite losing weight I'm as frustrated as I've been in ages as I can't run, do weights, swim, cycle as it just triggers my back pain. So I'll never be able to get in good shape. I can get really lean but would just look skinny.