You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Time to consider what may happen to Liverpool should Benitez go?

RSM

There's a difference between thinking he's a bad manager and thinking he's run out of ideas and has taken us as far as he can.

I don't think managers run out of ideas. They can't think anymore?

I'm also just looking to see who people want as next manager.

Someone who seems to think Rafa is completely shit and never stops crying about him offered 2 names he'd prefer, both are unlikely to come.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no reason (that i can think of) why we couldn't get Hiddink if he is out of contract

Apart from wages, lack of transfer budget, the fact the owners probably don't want a manager who will only manage in his style and would prefer a puppet. Hiddink would want a number of assurances similar to Rafa wanted before he took this job.

I don't think they are that different to Mourinho's but he just had enough money to buy better players.

Not the money argument again

Rafa has not bought well in the mid range market. He's had a fair turnaround of players. He won the title at Valencia whilst rivals were spending much more. He just hasn't come to grips with what's required to win the Prem

And lack of money cannot defend his defensive tactics against poor teams. Sorry, it's just not a valid excuse. Money isn't his problem, tactics are

Mourinho's team still attacked more than what we do and could pass to their own players

Apart from wages, lack of transfer budget, the fact the owners probably don't want a manager who will only manage in his style and would prefer a puppet. Hiddink would want a number of assurances similar to Rafa wanted before he took this job.

I think we'll have a budget. I think these players Rafa is selling is just so that he can be paid off when he's sacked. Well I'm hoping so anyway!

And this lack of money is a myth. New contracts do cost money. Don't see the issue with funds going to secure players on new deals. It's life. Can't play with an endless supply of money unless you want to go out of business

Wenger sells his best players and they still challenge

I don't think managers run out of ideas. They can't think anymore?

I'm also just looking to see who people want as next manager.

Someone who seems to think Rafa is completely shit and never stops crying about him offered 2 names he'd prefer, both are unlikely to come.

I think they get too close to things. Start not seeing obvious problems (Masch/Lucas) and think problems lie elsewhere. Continue to stick with players they have faith in despite what everyone else can see on pitch (Insua/Kuyt). They also cling onto tactics that have worked in the past but dont anymore (formation/set plays).

Like with many things in life soemtimes you get too close to things and a fresh pair of eyes is needed. I certainly dont think this set of players should be performing as badly as they are. Saying that, it also concerns me that since buying Torres we'd be better off now if we'd bought and sold no one.

I personally would have Hiddink. I think his attacking mentality would do wonders for us at the moment. I'm not just saying that now btw, he's one of the managers i've admired for a while. I've no idea how plausible it is but i'm sure many managers would be happy to be receiving Rafa's salary at the moment.

Its obvious that too many supporters these days are so clueless they let the media set the agenda and do nothing more than parrot the same old cliches....nothing without Torres and Gerrard, needs to be Mourinho or Hiddink, money badly spent..and so on to criticising his press conferences.

And like the nomarks who set the agenda they're utterly clueless as to what comes next should they get their wish.

Some have actually said they happy to gamble in such circumtances as long as Benitez is gone.

Well it looks like the 'Benitez out even though we're fucking clueless as to what will happen when he's gone' collective will get their way.

Is the situation really so bad - that diving headlong first into the unknown is preferable?

Its obvious that too many supporters these days are so clueless they let the media set the agenda and do nothing more than parrot the same old cliches....nothing without Torres and Gerrard, needs to be Mourinho or Hiddink, money badly spent..and so on to criticising his press conferences.

And like the nomarks who set the agenda they're utterly clueless as to what comes next should they get their wish.

Some have actually said they happy to gamble in such circumtances as long as Benitez is gone.

Well it looks like the 'Benitez out even though we're fucking clueless as to what will happen when he's gone' collective will get their way.

Is the situation really so bad - that diving headlong first into the unknown is preferable?

I can only speak for myself but my opinion is formed by going the match and watching pub footy. I haven't read a tabloid paper in years.

And i dont see how anyone can really know what's gonna happen when a manager leaves other than who they'd like to replace him? There's always an element of the unknown but if that was such a massive issue no team would ever change it's manager. All people know for definate is that we're playing shocking football and have been for some time and the manager is showing no signs of knowing what to do about it.

The premise seems reasonable enough to me. That whoever replaces him will also have to work with one arm tied behind their back.

Babel £11m

Aquilani £20m

Dossena £8m

Almost £40m spent on players who have hardly played since being signed. The money was there, it was squandered by a manager who made the wrong choices.

Wenger sells his best players and they still challenge

What, what?

Adebayour was hardly one of Wenger's best players, neither was Kolo Toure.

Adebayour had one good season with Arsenal, last season he was nowhere near their best forward. Ricardo Fuller scored more in the league.

Toure always looked suspect, his positioning was never the best and this has just been highlighted with his move to Man City.

Not to mention the fact that Wenger has been there far longer.

Drawing a comparison between the two is an act of futility.

Babel £11m

Aquilani £20m

Dossena £8m

Almost £40m spent on players who have hardly played since being signed. The money was there, it was squandered by a manager who made the wrong choices.

True but he has to get it right every single time whereas others spend that on players who never play or are utter shit and it doesnt stop them as they buy more and more

What, what?

Adebayour was hardly one of Wenger's best players, neither was Kolo Toure.

Adebayour had one good season with Arsenal, last season he was nowhere near their best forward. Ricardo Fuller scored more in the league.

Toure always looked suspect, his positioning was never the best and this has just been highlighted with his move to Man City.

Not to mention the fact that Wenger has been there far longer.

Drawing a comparison between the two is an act of futility.

And never mind the fact that Arsenal have challenged no more than we have in the past 4 years.

I hate how the original article implies that the fans are so fickle that a manager has to deliver the title.

It's not failing to do that which has made an ever growing number of fans fed up with Benitez. We are 7th or something like that in the league, and that fans rightly demand better.

Progress is what's essential as far as I can tell. When the same mistakes are being made over and over again and the manager seem unable to learn from them, then it is not fickle after 5 and a half years to consider to move him on.

Any top class manager with a bit of guts would relish the chance of lifting the team and club up where it used to belong. I think most would agree that it is hard to do a worse job with the current set of players than Rafa has this season.

I'm pretty convinced Jose Mourinho would fucking walk to Anfield to get a shot at that.

It's funny what this club must do to managers.

Rafa came, in my opinion, with far more pedigree than Mourinho, his teams playing the kind of football Liverpool supporters would be proud of.

At the time of Mourinho leaving Chelsea very few were saying "sack Rafa, get Mourinho while we can" - yet since then something has drastically gone wrong.

I honestly think the burden of expectation, particularly under malignant bosses and working conditions, may be starting to get to Rafa.

And unless a once in a generation manergerial genius like Ferguson (horrible twat) comes along from nowhere wanting to manage us, then the pressure will be too much for the next man too. Especially when some of the unmistakable horrible cunts who 'support' us get on his back from virtually day one [despite winning a European Cup in his first season?].

In the meantime I want Rafa to turn it around and see us through the most difficult footballing time in our history until such a time the club is ready to rise again.

Whether we rise with Rafa or if he passes the baton on to someone else I don't know, but I do know now is not the time for shaking the club at it's foundations even further.

At least their football has progressed. We are regressing under Rafa

What does that even mean?

Are they playing their best ever football? No.

Are they having a good season in the leage? Yes so far, like we were this time last year.

So what you're talking about is comparitive regression/progression over a 5 month period?

Grow up.

The squad is good enough.

We dont need a raft of new players, we need to get rid of a few from the squad, add one or two and have a real fucking go of it.

Its doom mongering if you ask me.

I agree, a left winger, back up striker, and a manager who actually gives the team belief is whats needed. Squad bar Carra and Nick the Greek and Aurellio all under 30, its not as bad as people believe we certinley should be in top 3, but when the manager is playing for a draw against Stoke and Wolves were pissing in the wind.

Babel £11m

Aquilani £20m

Dossena £8m

You can add Riera to that list, bar one game v Reo Coker in the 5 nil when the team was on fire I've never seen him have a great game. Robbie Keane another waste of money, were getting close to £70m in 3 summers not exactly well spent.