You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19:24 - Arrive home from work

19:25 - Start PC

19:26 - Read this story

19:27 - Wish I'd stayed at work

Seriously, what the fuck is he doing? Watching us against Wolves, was anyone thinking "Yes, what we really need to sort this train wreck of a season out is another right back?"

The man is fucking obsessed with right backs. If a transfer window passes without him signing at least one, he seems to feel he's failed us somehow. We are crying out for players that can increase our goal threat, why the fuck are we looking at bringing in cover for a defensive position where we already have at least four players? OK we have injuries but is it really so desperate a problem that we need to spend what little money we have on another player for the position? What happens in three months when we're paying out wages to four players that can't get a game in that position?

Actually, scratch that last question - we'll obviously bench Maxi and play them on the fucking wing. I don't want to start hating Rafa but he isn't helping with this kind of nonsense.

19:24 - Arrive home from work

19:25 - Start PC

19:26 - Read this story

19:27 - Wish I'd stayed at work

Seriously, what the fuck is he doing? Watching us against Wolves, was anyone thinking "Yes, what we really need to sort this train wreck of a season out is another right back?"

The man is fucking obsessed with right backs. If a transfer window passes without him signing at least one, he seems to feel he's failed us somehow. We are crying out for players that can increase our goal threat, why the fuck are we looking at bringing in cover for a defensive position where we already have at least four players? OK we have injuries but is it really so desperate a problem that we need to spend what little money we have on another player for the position? What happens in three months when we're paying out wages to four players that can't get a game in that position?

Actually, scratch that last question - we'll obviously bench Maxi and play them on the fucking wing. I don't want to start hating Rafa but he isn't helping with this kind of nonsense.

May have paid to read the rest of the thread.

May have paid to read the rest of the thread.

First off Cardie, you don't mean "the rest of the thread", you mean your post on page 2 - no need for modesty here, you're amongst friends.

I have read the rest of the thread, including your rebuttal of what you say is a rumour with what appears to be an opinion. Rafa, on the other hand, is quoted in the story and seems to suggest that he would be interested in bringing a player in for the position if he could identify a suitable signing.

I know you don't have much time for idiots so I apologise for being a little slow on the uptake tonight but I'd appreciate it if you could clarify which part of this you feel I've misconstrued.

No one.

We are crying out for players that can increase our goal threat, why the fuck are we looking at bringing in cover for a defensive position where we already have at least four players? OK we have injuries but is it really so desperate a problem that we need to spend what little money we have on another player for the position? What happens in three months when we're paying out wages to four players that can't get a game in that position?

How many players of good enough quality will be available this month for fuck all? None, really.

Given Johnson is injured, Kelly has played 70 minutes, Darby not a great deal more and hasn't looked that comfortable in the time on the pitch, Degen has looked less defensive than Dossena and Carra is our best centre half playing in that position then perhaps a loan deal for that position might help us out for the rest of the season?

Rafa ain't said he's looking to buy someone, has he? More if I can identify someone who can help us out, we'll do it. The same attitude am sure he has for a lot of positions. But it just so happens that with the money we have we could probably afford a capable right back far more than we could even begin to bring in someone of enough quality to make a difference in the final third.

First off Cardie, you don't mean "the rest of the thread", you mean your post on page 2 - no need for modesty here, you're amongst friends.

I have read the rest of the thread, including your rebuttal of what you say is a rumour with what appears to be an opinion. Rafa, on the other hand, is quoted in the story and seems to suggest that he would be interested in bringing a player in for the position if he could identify a suitable signing.

I know you don't have much time for idiots so I apologise for being a little slow on the uptake tonight but I'd appreciate it if you could clarify which part of this you feel I've misconstrued.

No no, I wasn't the first to point out that the search for a right back has been spoken about all transfer window so I can't take credit for that. It was fucking hysterical watching the indignation slowly subside as it dawned on them that this wasn't quite the new stick to beat the manager with that they'd hoped would bring fresh impetus to the flagging rage post Wolves though.

The fact he's looking for a right back, presumably still on loan, in no way suggests he's not still looking for a striker if he could find one of sufficent quality on loan (doubtful) or as a permanent signing if we can ship out Babel. Infact we know that Purslow has been negotiating with Sunderland for one because they told us.

Far easier to take the chicken little approach at the moment it seems.

Johnson gets injured, so we need to get more cover even though we have several choices for his position. Ok.

No, not cover. The right signing as he actually said.

If the right signing was there for the back up to Nando role and we could afford them am sure we'd be in for them, as proven by the links to the lad at Bordeaux and the one at Liege.

Unfortunatley we haven't the small-ish amounts to add these now, whereas we might find a good back up at right back for fuck all. It'd be good for the squad.

Funny though, and not directed at yourself here, how we get linked with Jones and Benjani and the response is "fuck off". We get linked with a right back and it's "what about up front".

Damned if he does, damned if he don't.

I'm sure if we didn't have to sell to buy there's alot of players we would have liked to have kept as squad players. Although it wasn't that long ago that the big forum idea was to ditch squad players in favour of 1 or 2 big money signings and supplement the squads lack of depth with young players.

No no, I wasn't the first to point out that the search for a right back has been spoken about all transfer window so I can't take credit for that. It was fucking hysterical watching the indignation slowly subside as it dawned on them that this wasn't quite the new stick to beat the manager with that they'd hoped would bring fresh impetus to the flagging rage post Wolves though.

The fact he's looking for a right back, presumably still on loan, in no way suggests he's not still looking for a striker if he could find one of sufficent quality on loan (doubtful) or as a permanent signing if we can ship out Babel. Infact we know that Purslow has been negotiating with Sunderland for one because they told us.

Far easier to take the chicken little approach at the moment it seems.

Not from me though. Even as recently as December, I was posting in support of Rafa and highlighting the financial constraints that he's had to operate under and I still maintain that the owners finding a grand total of around £25m in new money for players since they arrived has been a major factor in the decline of the squad's overall competitiveness.

Still, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't started to question myself and my interpretation of the situation at the club - let's say I was beginning to realise I was running on faith more than judgement. It's certainly fair to say that results against Reading, Pompey and Wolves have crystalised my concerns somewhat but they aren't responsible for creating them.

At this moment in time, I don't see signing a right back as any kind of priority, regardless of whether it's on loan or a permanent deal. We clearly have no money whatsoever at the moment and would need to offload Babel in order to being in another signing that required a fee. We've apparently got a £9m offer for Babel on the table whilst Bruce is talking about £12m for Jones so there's a £3m shortfall straight away, although that's just looking at the overall fees - depending on the way the two deals were structured it's possible that we could land Jones if Babel goes. Whether that's the right move or the right player is a separate issue.

Against a backdrop of meagre funds, every penny we spend in this transfer window needs to be directed at players that will address the problems we currently face and in my opinion, our inability (or unwillingness) to play composed, attacking football is a far greater concern than the fact we're currently using temporary cover at right back. The position is simply not on my radar as far as allocation of funds is concerned and that's not because I'm going looking for a stick to beat the manager with. I think his priorities should lie elsewhere but it's the club I'm concerned about primarily, not Rafa Benitez.

Perhaps it's unfortunate timing that this issue has been raised immediately after the debacle of the Wolves game (and it was a debacle, let's not dress it up - where some see a measured approach to that game, I'm afraid I see cowardice and a complete lack of winning intent) or perhaps it's mischevious journalism but the reason it has returned to the forefront of public attention concerns me far less than the underlying fact of it. I'd prefer whatever money we may consider allocating to the wages of a loanee right back to be spent on possibly bringing in a loanee striker, left winger, a centre mid who may actually be trusted to play a game instead of being wrapped in cotton wool, or even a left back if an exceptional deal presented itself. That's one area of the defence which we do clearly need to improve.

In short, I don't think another option at right back will make one scrap of difference to our overall performance as long as he plays behind a turgid midfield, one-paced wide men and a clearly knackered captain. I'd be looking to address all of those areas first, or as many of them as I could with whatever money will be available. If we couldn't address those areas, I'd rather we kept our powder dry and retained the money until such time as we can.

How many players of good enough quality will be available this month for fuck all?

I'm afraid I don't know Ian - I work for the tax office and unfortunately my meagre salary doesn't stretch to employing a network of scouts.

Edited by RoboRiise

IF it is true that Rafa is targeting a right back, maybe it is so he can put Carra back in the centre, thus giving Rafa the confidence in his back line so he doesn't feel the need to play two defensive midfielders to cover for a less then reliable centre back pairing, therefore allowing him to play one of Gerrard or Aquilani in the middle of the park with the other up front off Kuyt or Torres when fit?

I'd much rather we were trying to get an attacker on a free then a right back, but I'm trying to understand why he wants a right back.

Or we could start our own rumour as there's bound to be some stupid cunt htat comes on here and thinks it's true.

I heard from a mates mates missuses brothers cousins sister who used to have something to do with a bloke who used to work at the club, he's selling Torres to buy 2 more right backs and 3 left back sor whatever he has to go for a new improved attacking formation of 7-3-0. Fucking get past that lot.

Who knows anyway, we will find out when it all happens, if it happens.

More in this morning's Times article about wanting to sign a right back. Am I the only one who would like to see Darby given a chance while Johnson is injured?

Probably not, but ask the guys who watch the reserves regularly and I bet they are less enthusiastic than those who don't.