You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano and Lucas the midfield meistros!

Funkasy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldnt agree more. All the hard graft we put in against Spurs counts for very little now as its 2 points dropped. QUOTE]

Did we lose the 3 points from the Spurs game then, shit I didn't know that!

Seems like Lucas and Mascherano cannot play together. Exactly the same last season, for example Stoke away. Apart from that the level some of you drop to when 'discussing' Lucas does not deserve further comments.

Thats just madness.

If anyone wants to check out the Lucas thread on RAWK.

Seriously, you really should just for the fun of it.

Alot of them think hes our best player. No joke.:(

I did this. I picked a random page and looked at the first post my eyes fell upon, this is it:

Mate, I am extremely surprised that a German doesn't rate Lucas, or at least doesn't appreciate his role in the team. I can understand some fans not rating him as he appears dispassionate and ponderous but, like Xabi, he has a first class football brain and Germany used to produce exactly this type of player by the bucket loads ... Schuster, Breitner, arguably Matthaus, Sammer, Brehme etc. As an aside, though a completely different player to Lucas, Schweini is one player I'd love to see playing for us... the guy is highly adaptable, intelligent and a monster on the pitch. .

Cruyff, my favourite player ever, used to say football is played in the head and for me, no one in the current Liverpool team epitomises it more than Lucas in terms of his mentality and understanding of his role. To see how my observation of his play matches with a lot of what the stats are saying about him is the best way, for me at least, to judge Lucas or any player for that matter.

But one thing stats can't measure as accurately is Lucas's appreciation for space and his positioning. If one thinks about it, the essence of tactics in any team sports is the exploitation, manipulation and control of space, which also happens to be the basis for zonal marking, and Lucas has a keen understanding of this fundamental concept, just like the aforementioned German legends. Have you noticed how in a match he sometimes wants to make a forward pass or otherwise but changes his mind in a split second and makes a different pass because the initial pass he wanted to make would not have been the right pass? With him it's all about making the right pass and positioning something that Gerrard can learn from him. That kind of decision making you just cannot teach.

I for one hope he goes on to establish himself as a great midfielder and if keeps on progressing as he has, that could be anytime soon.

Link (because I know some of you will think I've made it up)

By far and away my favourite part was the bit where he explains how Gerrard could learn about positioning and making the right pass from Lucas.

I'm pretty sure I've had shits with more sense than that poster, absolutely incredible stuff. I really hope that's some epic trolling but it doesn't seem to be.

No wonder Benitez got rid of this one.

xabi_alonso.jpg

The future was bright with Lucas and Mascherano. He was even forced to buy an Italian backup for these two.

What' s the weather like in Madrid mate? That's good English you speak too. What? You don't support Real? FUCK OFF AND SUPPORT THEM THEN. Xabi is history. He and Rafa both acted the cunt over his transfer. Xabi Alonso is not perfect. And with the love in that I see whenever we lose it's actually made me despise Xabi now. People like you have made me despise a top footballer, and probably a top top bloke. I reckon if you were to pick a lad to go for a pint with from last year number one would be Pepe, number two Xabi. Now, all I'd ask Xabi is why he left. And I'd know the answer.

Come back when we win on Saturday and talk about Xabi all day.

I keep saying it but Gerrard should be in centre midfield and Lucas / Mascherano should be battling it out to play alongside him.

Aquilani looks far more comfortable in the role behind a lone striker, where he has less defensive responsibility and has more freedom to create.

I keep saying it but Gerrard should be in centre midfield and Lucas / Mascherano should be battling it out to play alongside him.

Aquilani looks far more comfortable in the role behind a lone striker, where he has less defensive responsibility and has more freedom to create.

I agree with the bit on Aquilani. His performance against Spurs for the first 50 minutes or so indicated that behind the striker could be his best position. This then begs the question "WTF were the scouts doing when they looked at the lad?" IMO we didn't need to spend a projected 17M on a back up for Gerrard.

"Have you noticed how in a match he sometimes wants to make a forward pass or otherwise but changes his mind in a split second and makes a different pass because the initial pass he wanted to make would not have been the right pass? With him it's all about making the right pass and positioning something that Gerrard can learn from him. That kind of decision making you just cannot teach"

Whoever wrote that is possibly the biggest bellend in the fucking galaxy

When Masch was injured there for a few weeks it forced Rafa's hand and he had to change things. It turned out for the better as we started to look more balanced in the middle of the park. I'm not suggesting for a second that we drop Masch, but it should have shown Rafa that Lucas and Masch are not a pairing you can play attacking footie with.

Any combo of Lucas/Aquilani. Lucas/Gerrard. Masch/Aquilani. Masch/Gerrard in midfield would give us better balance. But Masch/Lucas just does not work at all and never will.

Rafa's a stubborn stubborn git who'll not change this though, so we are stuck with this until one of them gets injured or leaves.

Seriously, I'd encourage anyone that wants a laugh to check that thread out. That post was from page 49 if I remember correctly and from the little I saw, it wouldn't even have made the comedy top ten. There is some truly jaw-dropping stuff in it.