You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Milan Jovanovic offered 3 year deal

WaltonRed

Are they fuck. He could use some of the youngsters instead.

And calling them "free" signings is 1984-esque. They tend to cost a hefty sign on fee and +30,000 pounds a week which makes them virtually impossible to get rid of again.

If only we could learn from our mistakes...

Slight generalisation, that!

Maybe the youngsters we have are not as good as that lad? Dreaming of a team full of local youngsters, I would suggest, is as out of touch as calling free transfers 'free'.

Markus Babel was a free, as was McAlister, as was Ballack for Bayern etc. Some work out, some don't.

Let's hope it is the latter, if he does sign.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, so on that basis then, unless we can afford a big name superstar we should just stick with the youngsters? Because sadly free transfers and nominal fees is all we can afford unless someone else is shifted out of our already weak squad. Hence why we couldnt afford to pay a little bit more and get the lad here now when we are crying out for a striker, instead of in 6 months time. Do you think Rafa would be scraping about for bosmans by choice? No, he's trying to make the best of what he has at his disposal, i.e fuck all. Christian Purslow highlighted as much in the SOS meeting minutes. If you cannot see that you're blinkered

I just can't see how keep signing players not good enough for the club will help us. If we have no money come the summer, which I guess only would take for nothing to happen, then i'd much, much, MUCH rather see the likes of Dalla Valle, Amoo, Eccleston and Kacanjkcndsahbsaxanjb get time on the pitch to develop than another foreign mercenary.

Maybe the youngsters we have are not as good as that lad? Dreaming of a team full of local youngsters, I would suggest, is as out of touch as calling free transfers 'free'.

Markus Babel was a free, as was McAlister, as was Ballack for Bayern etc. Some work out, some don't.

Take a look at Jovanovic's track record and compare it to the ones you mention above. It looks a lot more like Voronin's before he signed, only slightly worse. There is no fucking way a 28 year old also ran like that will turn out to be in the same class as the three players you mention.

the free signing Deggen has so far cost us well in excess of five million pounds.

Voronin probably cost about the same, possibly more.

Free signings.

The issue is disposable income, that is the cost over a period of time and a risk we are forced to take.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Chamakh next on a free.

I expect a couple of defenders to join who will be funded by Babel and that will be about it.

A zero net spend again and loads of fans slagging the boss whereas others freely spend with boardroom harmony

How many times have you seen him play Tom?

That's not how it works....you have to declare every signing to be shit then you can endlessly harp on about how shit they are and tell everyone you told them so. In the unlikely event that you are forced to admit the player is decent (I say unlikely as this only occurs once said player has scored 6 hattricks in a row) then you can tell everyone that you're happy you were wrong and be content looking the big man.

Wonder how many times Benitez has seen him play.

Well he did play 34 minutes against us in the CL qualifier. And Code says you only need to watch a player for 15 minutes to see if he is any good or not.

Unless he plays well of course, then you need to watch him more carefully....

Don't care if its been posted.

Daily Post North Wales - Sport News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool FC sign Serbia international Milan Jovanovic

RAFAEL BENITEZ’S summer squad rebuilding began in earnest yesterday when Milan Jovanovic sealed a move to Liverpool.

The Serbia international has signed a pre-contract agreement that will see him arrive from Belgian club Standard Liege at the end of the season.

Jovanovic’s consistently impressive form had attracted a clutch of potential suitors from across Europe, including Italian giants AC Milan.

He was reported to be stalling over a move to Liverpool until assurances were made over the long-term future of Benitez.

And the 29-year-old has now negotiated a three-year deal at Anfield that commits him to the club until at least 2013.

Jovanovic boasts a record of almost a goal every other game during his spell at Liege, for whom he played against both Liverpool and Everton in Europe last season.

A regular for Serbia, he is expected to play a key role for his country in this summer’s World Cup finals in South Africa.

Jovanovic will have endeared himself to Liverpool supporters with his claims a year ago of having turned down a move to neighbours Everton by saying: “Everton aren’t a big club. That club I have turned down already.”

Benitez remains interested in Marouane Chamakh, the Bordeaux striker, also available on a free transfer in June.

Jovanovic’s imminent arrival is a sign of Benitez planning for life at Anfield beyond the end of the season, despite continued interest from Juventus.

Jamie Carragher believes such rumours are nothing new and is confident Liverpool can ignore outside influences ahead of Saturday’s visit of Everton.

He said: “Liverpool has always had speculation about managers, players, players coming, players going and it’s the same as managers.

“People always want to talk about the club, whether it is positively or negatively, and if you play for Liverpool you have got to get used to that as part of the job.”

Liverpool have included promising youngsters David Amoo, Daniel Pacheco, Alex Kacaniklic, Gerardo Bruna, Steven Irwin and Robbie Threlfall in their 35-man squad for the Europa League. But new signing Maxi Rodriguez is ineligible after appearing in the Champions League for Atletico. Liverpool take on Romanian champions Unirea Urziceni with the first leg at Anfield on Thursday,

Great. 28 years old and haven't done anything of note in the game. I sincerely hope that we don't sign him.

Another Voronin is just about the last thing this club needs.

It's 29 years, and it strikes me how the average age of players Benitez has been signing has increased. I suppose beggars can't be choosers. He didn't do much against us or the BS either.

Eh?