You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard back for Wolves?

zigackly

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard targets Wolves return

By Telegraph staff

Published: 11:33AM GMT 22 Jan 2010

The England midfielder had expected to be sidelined for at least two weeks with a hamstring injury sustained in the FA Cup third round replay defeat at home to Reading nine days ago.

He missed last Saturday's 1-1 draw at Stoke and the 2-0 midweek victory over Tottenham but is set to return sooner than expected.

Liverpool are not in action this weekend with it being the FA Cup fourth round and the players were given a couple of days off to recover after the confidence-boosting Spurs win but are due back at Melwood tomorrow.

Gerrard thinks he can be ready for Tuesday's trip to Wolves but Bolton at home the following weekend is a more likely prospect as manager Rafael Benitez is unlikely to want to risk bringing back his captain too early.

"I'm hoping to return in time for the Wolves game next week, that's my target," Gerrard wrote in his programme notes for the Spurs match.

"It's always a nightmare for me when I'm injured and I can't help the team."

Former Liverpool midfielder Jan Molby accepts Gerrard's absence - as well as that of a number of key players - has impacted on the club's season but believes the rest of the squad are learning to play without their major stars.

"When you lose Gerrard and Fernando Torres - two of the world's best players - it's always going to be felt, not to mention the likes of Glen Johnson, Yossi Benayoun, Albert Riera and Daniel Agger," said the Dane.

"We have to be glad we've got a big squad and players have been able to come in and do a job.

"They've shown we can cope and gain points while key men are sidelined."

Now does he play the role behind a lone striker - given Aquilani looked better in this role than he did in centrew midfield.

Or does he take one of Lucas / Mascherano's places in centre midfield?

Decisions, decisions for Rafa. He could play on the right, but I'm not sure whether his ego could take that.

I think it's good to get your best available players on the pitch together, so:

..............Reina

Carra Skrtel Greek Aurelio

.....Lucas Mascherano

..Gerrard Aquilani Maxi

..............Kuyt

Would be nice. Could also swap Maxi and Gerrard there, but either can play both sides.

..............Reina

.....Lucas Mascherano

..Gerrard Aquilani Maxi

..............Kuyt

Would be nice. Could also swap Maxi and Gerrard there, but either can play both sides.

We'd batter them with that side. Can't see it somehow, hope I'm wrong

..............Reina

.....Lucas Mascherano

..Gerrard Aquilani Maxi

..............Kuyt

I think he will give Gerrard the extra days and not rush him back. Maxi on the right and give Riera another go on the left and that is the side I would go with.

Put Gerrard on the bench and give him thirty minutes, to ease him back.

Echo today:

With no FA Cup commitment tomorrow, The Reds are not due back in action until next Tuesday night when they face a trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Though it is unlikely Gerrard will be pitched into that contest, if things continue to go smoothly, it would open up the prospect of him being involved when Bolton visit next Saturday.

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - Liverpool FC - News - Liverpool FC captain Steven Gerrard set for return to full training

No way Rafa will play him against Wolves, and nor should he. It's a hammy strain so give him the full two weeks. Back against Bolton would be great news. If the team can show the same intensity against Wolves that we did against Spurs then we'll shit 'em.

I'd love to see Zigs team against Bolton though.

doesn't groin problems affect hamstrings also?

Not necessarily so. Not an expert and they could be connected but it has been his groin all season and now the hamstring, that is how I took it.

Without doubt he has been suffering all season, wether connected or not.

Not necessarily so. Not an expert and they could be connected but it has been his groin all season and now the hamstring, that is how I took it.

Without doubt he has been suffering all season, wether connected or not.

i think it's teh same underlying problem personally

and i know that not everyone on this board supports England but i'll be a bit fucked off if he isn't properly fit for the world cup

I wouldn't rush him back, personally. Would rather he got a few minutes off the bench instead of starting. Too often in his career we've been too quick to get him back into the team after injury and it takes his toll on him. Plus, it isn't as if he was in sparkling form and maybe (though it would be the first time this season) our team will finally build on a good performance and have enough about them to dispose of a team like wolves.

Maybe.

Maybe he is saving his top form for the world cup?!

Or maybe he's just genuinely injured and desperate to get back to full fitness? I doubt a player more concerned with his international career would be having multiple pain injections just to get on the pitch.