You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Classical music

Fink

To console myself for losing out on a 1967 dior suit off ebay I am hunting for choons and came across the classic section on play.

Ive listened to radio 3 and classic fm a teeny bit. Some of it is boss, but there is lots that is dull and boring and crap.

Anyone got any hints on stuff I should try out? I like violins and pianos and big bass drums!

There are so many CDs that exisit in the bargain bins at Home Bargains that I feel I am missing out. I trust you lot more than Id trust some cravat wearing posho.

Much love and high fives

Stu.

I know very little about classical music, but I do know what I like. My two favourites are Claire De Lune by Debussy:

[YOUTUBE]-LXl4y6D-QI[/YOUTUBE]

and Erik Satie's Gymnopedies:

[YOUTUBE]S-Xm7s9eGxU[/YOUTUBE]

Spotify is pretty ace for classical music if you have it. There's some genuine great stuff on there but the search function and how it's set up does make it more difficult to navigate. The trick though is searching by conductor like Barenboim or Simon Rattle, Karajan etc or orchestra like the LSO or Berlin Philharmonic rather than composer.

To be honest I had very little idea how to find what I wanted at first so cheated and looked on the classical reviews on the guardian website.

I went through my play (getting massively side tracked) list to see what the names of the ones i like are, I'm not a great one for putting music to films or composers and recalling by where i've heard them before. Most of the ones I like seem to be things you'll no doubt have heard on films.

Vaughan Williams greensleeves

Carter Burwell, he did millers crossing, in Burges and shed loads others. I'm hoping that will give him enough credit for you to enjoy belle's lullaby, becasue its affixed to twilight i can only assume it would be taken in negativity.

[YOUTUBE]VTrJK0JkLOY[/YOUTUBE]

I really like Scala and Kolacny Brothers, i think of it as classical though i may be corrected, *pictures Monty's head exploding with the following link*

[YOUTUBE]evG2DDmSdxM[/YOUTUBE]

Adagio for strings,

said to be the saddest piece of music, played shed loads after 9/11 the dance version is rather good though.

• 7 years later...

This advert popped up on Facebook.

Enjoy Bach’s Harpsichord Concertos performed by one of the world’s most charismatic harpsichordists Mahan Esfahani and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.

"one of the world’s most charismatic harpsichordists"  I'm sure that's up against some serious competition!

This advert popped up on Facebook.

15977885_10154963353928453_3358290183125

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic

Sponsored ·

Enjoy Bach’s Harpsichord Concertos performed by one of the world’s most charismatic harpsichordists Mahan Esfahani and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.

"one of the world’s most charismatic harpsichordists" I'm sure that's up against some serious competition!

Are you telling me that you never had a harpsichord standing prominently in your front or back parlour, or living room?

I didn't realise there was a Classical thread, I have dabbled in the past, mainly Igor Stravinsky because a lot of my favourite jazz musicians seem to reference him, The Rite of Spring is absolutely mental to this day & his pieces for string quartet are nice in a 'I'm going fucking nuts here' kind of way.

I also like a bit of Mussorgsky, Night on Bare Mountain in particular, I think I'll delve more into classical music as I get older, I keep meaning to go & see an orchestra at the Usher Hall up here because it's a great venue & designed specifically for classical music.

The only time I've been to a proper, grown-up classical concert (indoors, no fireworks or lasers) was at the Liverpool Phil. It was Shostakovich 4th Symphony. I was literally on the edge of my seat with some of the most exciting, unpredictable, captivating music I've ever heard.

The bloke next to me fell asleep.

Each to their own, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I also like a bit of Mussorgsky, Night on Bare Mountain in particular, I think I'll delve more into classical music as I get older, I keep meaning to go & see an orchestra at the Usher Hall up here because it's a great venue & designed specifically for classical music.

The mention of Mussorgsky has reminded me that we performed the tenth movement of Pictures at an Exhibition in the school orchestra. I can't recall anything about it except the name ("Great Gate of Kiev") so I will be looking to listen to that later.

I like classical music. Did an extra O Level in music for a bet with a couple of lads in my class back in the day. The O Level was on the history and appreciation of music, with an emphasis on pieces by Tchaikovsky, Schubert, Rodrigo and a couple of smaller and more obscure composers. It was a very small group and I was in there with a couple of the genius lads at the school, which always has a way of putting your own intellect into perspective. It served its purpose though, as I really did gain an appreciation for classical music.