You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Classical music

Fink

I know very little about classical music, but I do know what I like. My two favourites are Claire De Lune by Debussy:

[YOUTUBE]-LXl4y6D-QI[/YOUTUBE]

and Erik Satie's Gymnopedies:

[YOUTUBE]S-Xm7s9eGxU[/YOUTUBE]

Have a listen to an album by isao tomita from the 1970s called snowflakes are dancing.features some Debussy inc.clare de lune .quite brilliant in my humble opinion

I know very little about classical music, but I do know what I like. My two favourites are Claire De Lune by Debussy:

[YOUTUBE]-LXl4y6D-QI[/YOUTUBE]

and Erik Satie's Gymnopedies:

[YOUTUBE]S-Xm7s9eGxU[/YOUTUBE]

Have a listen to an album by isao tomita from the 1970s called snowflakes are dancing.features some Debussy inc.clare de lune .quite brilliant in my humble opinion

I guy I worked with used to bring this in on cassette and play it most of the day. Working as an industrial civil servant, this could get you to sleep in minutes.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to buy a new washer and dryer, delivered today. Incredible scenes. When the load is done the washing machine plays Schubert’s Trout Quintet, Opus 114. This just happens to be one of the pieces of music we learned in the history and appreciation of music O Level I took back in the day. Mr Snelson, our old music teacher, will doubtless be spinning in his grave as the Samsung chimes rather butcher Franz Peter’s finest. Mrs G was impressed I knew what the music was.

Had to buy a new washer and dryer, delivered today. Incredible scenes. When the load is done the washing machine plays Schubert’s Trout Quintet, Opus 114. This just happens to be one of the pieces of music we learned in the history and appreciation of music O Level I took back in the day. Mr Snelson, our old music teacher, will doubtless be spinning in his grave as the Samsung chimes rather butcher Franz Peter’s finest. Mrs G was impressed I knew what the music was.

When our washing machine is finished it plays John Cage's 4'33

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Beautiful that Mook mate.

Going with the Mrs to see Andre Rieu in Dublin in December.  Buzzing already about it and hoping to see some of this

His shows include some of the best renditions of Shostakovich's 'Waltz No2'.

• Upvote 1

To console myself for losing out on a 1967 dior suit off ebay I am hunting for choons and came across the classic section on play.

Ive listened to radio 3 and classic fm a teeny bit. Some of it is boss, but there is lots that is dull and boring and crap.

Anyone got any hints on stuff I should try out? I like violins and pianos and big bass drums!

There are so many CDs that exisit in the bargain bins at Home Bargains that I feel I am missing out. I trust you lot more than Id trust some cravat wearing posho.

Much love and high fives

Stu.

If you like Violins and Pianos with Big Bass Drums, then you really need to be on to Tchaikovsky. Literally anything he did would work for you. If you can find albums of Jascha Heifetz playing Tchaikovsky, even better.

Poor Quality, but it's something to watch him play.

Better Quality and a different interpretation of the same famous movement

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I'm off to the Usher Hall tonight to see my first classical concert featuring Stravinky's Firebird Suite, The Lark Ascending & the premiere of an unfinished Vaughan Williams piece.

Really looking forward to it, it's been on my 'to do list' for ages.

• Upvote 4

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The car radios are permanently tuned to Radio 4, but on those all-too-frequent times when they're spouting some bollocks on Woman's Hour, a dreary play about Nigeria (again already?) or any of the other shite they get a bone-on over, the reetuning procedure goes Radio 3 then Radio 4 Extra and lastly Classic FM which is ALWAYS playing either the Godfather theme tune or Close Encounters theme tune. It's soooooo fucking repetitive.