You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher Joins Talksport for the World Cup

discuit

Not seen this posted anywhere, seems a bit odd considering the history between Carra and Adrian Durham.

Liverpool and former England defender Jamie Carragher is to cover action in South Africa as part of talkSPORT’s broadcast team for this year’s World Cup.

Carragher will broadcast alongside station regular Adrian Durham.

Commenting on Carragher’s signing with the station, Durham said: “I cannot wait to be sat alongside Jamie, someone who was at the last World Cup as a player, who will be able to convey just what it’s like to be in the World Cup cauldron.”

Carragher added: “I truly believe that the talent within the England squad, under Capello’s guidance, can bring home the World Cup. I’m excited at joining talkSPORT, Adrian and the listeners as England embark on what we hope will be an historic year.”

Jamie Carragher won’t be taking a fee for his appearances - instead he has asked that talkSPORT make a donation to his charity, The 23 Foundation.

Radio Today with RCS: Carragher signs to talkSPORT

Ok, let's get this right in my head. Bascombe is a labelled a cunt by many people on here for working for the NOTW and having his money paid by Murdoch's empire, the same has been said about Tony Barrett at times because he writes for the times.

But there is no uproar when our vice captain goes to work on one of Murdoch's radio station's. Riiiiiiight.

I understand and appreciate the reasons behind it, money for the foundation, but I can't help but feel slightly disappointed that he will be working on that shite station.

I think they have used the foundation to their advantage to get Jamie on. It seems that he has fallen for it. But I suppose the foundation gets some good money and I can't argue with Jamie's motives, as I said I can't help but feel disappointed.

Yeah it does have a bit of a feel of "Write whatever you want, I'll see you in June". I certainly don't see Carra giving a shite about England. Still a wee bit surprised by this though. I think had other players done it for the exact same reasons they may be getting it in the neck. But Carra does deservedly get a bit of leeway.

Are the idiots actually commentating from the stadia this time, or are they still doing it via the telly from a hotel room? It's such an amateurish operation, full of drunks and Colin Hunt types. Jamie deserves much better.

And that's my main thing. I'd love to see him on a much wider audience like the BBC with Lineker and Dixon and Lawrenson as he completely tears them apart, especially when they come out with some Liverpool nonsense when they introduce him. We know Carra watches loads of football so I’d like to see him given a bit of time analyzing games to see if he does have any good insights. I know a lot of people automatically think Carra is going to be a good manager, but plenty of people watch as much football as him and it doesn’t make them good managers, so I’d love to see him on a proper outfit like the BBC with no breaks for ads and time to talk the game and see what he has to stay.

Talksport and it's phone in is one of the things that is wrong with the game. I has mainly mongs calling in who the arsehole presenters easily wind up to spout moronic rubbish to satisfy whatever bloodlust is prime that week. I didn’t like it before, and wont be making an exception because Carra’s on it.

Before this gets all a bit mad...

Talksport used to be owned by a consortium including News International and also McKenzie, but UTV Media took it over in 2005.

UTV Media includes the Northern Ireland ITV franchise (UTV of course) and a load of radio stations - including Juice FM in Liverpool, Wish FM and Wire FM in the North West and FM104 in Dublin.

So that handles the ownership side of Talksport.

I've never got into the habit of listening to it because of a mixture of a) crap MW reception whenever I've tried, b) the links to the rag in days gone by and c) radio adverts piss me off even more than TV adverts. I've not listened to it long enough to form an opinion on the content.

Forgetting all that, Carra's a bit of a geek (not said in a nasty way) when it comes to footy and I'm sure he'll surprise a few of their listeners when he gets going.

Fair enough on the ownership Jim, maybe should have done my research and not assumed they were still owned by Murdoch's arm. But don't Sky generally dictate how their agenda is set? Isn't their news taken from Sky News?

However I'm still disappointed he's working for them. He's better than that.

Fair enough on the ownership Jim, maybe should have done my research and not assumed they were still owned by Murdoch's arm. But don't Sky generally dictate how their agenda is set? Isn't their news taken from Sky News?

However I'm still disappointed he's working for them. He's better than that.

Sky news offer their services to a number of independent media outlets, i.e they produce a lot of the news content for Channel five for instance, the studio shite with Ian Wright (which believe it or not, is actually classed as a 'News and Education' programme!).

Carragher has no chance of appearing on BBC as he is has a regional accent! And is not middle aged and safe.

Sky news offer their services to a number of independent media outlets, i.e they produce a lot of the news content for Channel five for instance, the studio shite with Ian Wright (which believe it or not, is actually classed as a 'News and Education' programme!).

Carragher has no chance of appearing on BBC as he is has a regional accent! And is not middle aged and safe.

But they will have Marcel Desailly on instead? I can barely understand him.