You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Canales kid

WaltonRed

He's a quality young player. From Santander. Single handedly tore Sevilla a new one the other week at Sevilla.

He looked confident on the ball for a youngster. I think he'd be a good player for us. With him being a Spanish youngster, not English, he'd have a good chance of getting a few appearances for us.

I think Balague or Robinson said that he'd favour a move to us over any team abroad.

Another player to look out for in La Liga is Muniain (sp?). He plays for Bilbao and he is only 17 I think. He's been instrumental this season in their push to gain European qualification again. He's a quality attacking player.

Another player to look out for in La Liga is Muniain (sp?). He plays for Bilbao and he is only 17 I think. He's been instrumental this season in their push to gain European qualification again. He's a quality attacking player.

He's only 16, cracking prospect though, but if bilbao sold him the fans would burn the stadium down.

The only real hope we have is that he might want to go somewhere he'd have the best chance of playing. If hes goes to Madrid, he'll struggle to get any game time.

With Chelseas aging squad, he might become a regular in a year or two.

With City, anything is possible. He could be a regular after a week or waste away in the reserves for 3 years.

With our squad, i'd reckon he'd have the best chance of all his options.

Never gonna happen though what with our financial woes.:whoops:

Good article on him here:

Sergio Canales: Spanish Teen Wonderkid Chased by Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City & Chelsea

Nearly every major European club has been alerted to the emergence of yet another top class creative midfield talent in the shape of Sergio Canales. The 18-year-old Racing Santander midfielder has only made 13 league appearances for his club but his three starts in the last three games have yielded four goals including a brace in the 2-1 away win at Sevilla. Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal have been the most strongly linked clubs but Real Madrid and Barcelona are also in the hunt.

The teenager’s contract is set to expire this summer although there is a clause in his current deal that would give the youngster an automatic one-year extension if he should play 450 minutes for the club. This time period is likely to be completed over the course of the next three games but a plethora of clubs are trying to convince the club to sell now.

Canales is a product of the Racing Santander academy and has been tipped for the top for some time but few expected such an immediate impact. Rafa Benitez has been eyeing the youngster’s progress after being tipped off by his scouting network in his homeland. The signing of Canales would be relatively cheap and would fit in with the work Benitez has done on improving the level of young talents coming through at Anfield. There’s no doubting that Liverpool are in need of more creativity since the departure of Xabi Alonso and Canales would be ideal if the club could tempt him.

The fact that Liverpool has both a Spanish manager and a number of Spaniards in the first team may well appeal to the player’s agent and father Angel Canales who would prefer his son to stay in his homeland but if he were to move abroad, then where better than Liverpool?

Manchester City’s new coach Roberto Mancini has also urged the club to compete for the best youngsters in World football which has led to their interest. Financially they can compete comfortably with any club for Canales and may well be seen as a progressive club where the starlet can continue his education. However, if the player looks to move to England then Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal may well be the team to beat as the Frenchman has a proven track record with talented youngsters that few other managers can compete with. The fact that the likes of Cesc Fabregas and Fran Merida have blossomed may well appeal to Canales more so than a move to Eastlands.The player’s father has himself claimed that money is not the issue when he said, “We are calm at the moment.”

“I understand that clubs are keen to do business but for now it is better that we delay making any decision.

“The future of Sergio does not just depend on money; it will depend on who can offer the best sporting project.”

If that is indeed the case, then Arsenal’s chances of bringing the teenager to the Emirates is very strong as Wenger has proven that he will always give youth a chance if they are talented enough and this lad certainly is.

The press claim Chelsea are the club in pole position and there’s no doubt Carlo Ancelotti needs to bring more youth into the first team squad. The Italian has targeted a number of younger stars including Sergio Aguero and Alexandre Pato as the Blues look to reinvigorate an ageing side. He would join a team of winners and would be encouraged by Ancelotti’s blooding of the likes of Pato when he was in charge of AC Milan. Frank Arnesen has had the player watched on numerous occasions in past seasons when the mercurial talent was working his way up through the Spanish international youth sides at U16, U17, U18 and U19 level.

Canales made his Racing Santander debut as a substitute in their Uefa Cup home 1-0 win over Finland’s FC Honka in September 2008 when he was just 17. He went on to make a further six league appearances that season (all as sub) but it this season when he has burst onto the scene displaying his all-round quality. This season he has made 7 league appearances but it is the four strikes in his only three starts that has brought Canales to public attention.

At 5 ft 9, Canales is not as small as some of his fellow playmaking compatriots but is blessed with great technique, excellent passing skills and cool finishing ability. Whoever manages to sign the talented starlet, will be signing one potential star of the future. Whether it is Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea remains to be seen.

Would you like your club to sign Canales? Which club would be beat for the player to further his career? Let’s hear your views?

He's a quality young player. From Santander. Single handedly tore Sevilla a new one the other week at Sevilla.

He looked confident on the ball for a youngster. I think he'd be a good player for us. With him being a Spanish youngster, not English, he'd have a good chance of getting a few appearances for us.

I think Balague or Robinson said that he'd favour a move to us over any team abroad.

I' love to see them both at Liverpool..

So he's a playmaker, who's place does he take in the team?

I think I remember reading somewhere he can play on either wing along with the traditional central midfield and in behind the front man roles.

Considering we have riera,yossi,dirk and now Maxi as our primary wingers.

And with our luck,we can assume that at least 1 if not 2 of them will be injured at any given time, he could play in one of those roles.

Considering our luck with injuries I think he'd definently get a fair few games be it in the middle or out wide.

Looks like a great prospect- I actually think he will sign a new contract at Racing with a big buy out clause. His Dad is his agent and according to Hunter and Ballague Canales is v level headed and will do whatever is best for his development, which is probably to stay there for another year or so.